FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating versatile, minimalist text (Vegas 14 or 3rd Party Plugin)

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Silverman
Creating versatile, minimalist text (Vegas 14 or 3rd Party Plugin)
on Oct 11, 2016 at 4:39:58 pm

Hey Creative Cows, longtime lurker here, but in need of your advice.

I'm looking for an efficient way to get versatile text into videos, and the current options either lack features I'm looking for, or are extremely cumbersome.

I'm really interested in this style: http://i.imgur.com/eI0SEca.gifv

What I need:

- Minimalist text that generates with a solid background behind it, so it can overlay on any footage

- The ability to change the font style and color of a single word or character without changing the rest of the text (ProTitler seems to offer this, but I find it incredibly difficult to use and does not offer the box)

- The ability to change the background box to suit the content. Sometimes rounded edges, sometimes square, other options.

- Bonus points if you can point me toward 3rd party software that is compatible with Adobe Premiere as well.

- I don't need animation or 3D FX. Just clean, crisp text that I can animate efficiently with track motion or video transitions.

Would love to know what you guys are using and recommend. Thanks!

-Matt

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: Creating versatile, minimalist text (Vegas 14 or 3rd Party Plugin)
on Oct 11, 2016 at 11:37:21 pm

For simple titles shown in the video, I'd suggest using Photoshop. Create a transparent empty image, add whatever titles/boxes/graphics you want and export as a png. Or you can import files directly as a PSD from Vegas. I do a lot of moving map animations and Photoshop is my "go to" for all of my text and graphic overlays. To me, it's the ultimate tool for versatility and compatibility.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Matt Silverman
on Oct 12, 2016 at 1:01:17 pm

[Wayne Waag] " I'd suggest using Photoshop."

Thanks Wayne, this is actually what we're already doing, and while the results look great, the workflow is cumbersome. We are hoping to scale this up for many clients, so the idea of opening multiple photoshop/PNG files to change colors and words is less appealing than having something baked into Vegas.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Oct 12, 2016 at 1:19:16 am
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on Oct 12, 2016 at 1:28:13 am

[Matt Silverman] "I don't need animation or 3D FX. Just clean, crisp text that I can animate efficiently with track motion or video transitions."
I don't understand? Firstly you say you don't need animation and then you say you'd use Track Motion for animation? It's the use of Track Motion that you're going to need to decide if you end up with crisp enough results. TM doesn't employ Vector scaling on your text. It uses the Graphic as a Raster.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Matt Silverman
on Oct 12, 2016 at 1:03:17 pm

[Graham Bernard] "I don't understand?"

Sorry, I mis-typed. I'm usually using pan/crop motion and transition effects to achieve basic motion.

But that's the easy part. I'm mainly trying to achieve this "look" without using Photoshop. Animation is entirely secondary.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Oct 12, 2016 at 1:24:21 am
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on Oct 12, 2016 at 1:26:49 am

I'm using NewBlue TITLER Pro Ultimate. for the same reason that you've found that the Text tools in VP are restrictive. Animation is straight forward.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]