FORUMS: list search recent posts

Accessing open files via network

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Omer Aydin
Accessing open files via network
on Oct 11, 2016 at 1:43:06 pm

I'm using Vegas Pro 12 on Win 7 system.
A remote PC is keeping logs of audio broadcast streams as mp3 files, creating hourly file segments, and I'm able to access and playback those files via network even the ones that are currently open/locked and being written to by the recording app.
The `problem` is Vegas can't access them, while apps like Winamp and Media Player Classic can.
I'm aware that Vegas is doing the right thing about the access restriction but I wonder if there are any ways to make Vegas ignore the file lock and open the file that is being used by the recording app?

Return to posts index

László Kovács
Re: Accessing open files via network
on Oct 11, 2016 at 4:32:43 pm

Hi,

I think, the recording software locks the file for write acces (this is obvious), but allows it to open for read access - this is a polite thing, and not obvious, it could create the file with exclusive flag, so no other process could access it even for read until closed-.
Your player software (winamp, etc.) needs the file to open with for read access, which is allowed.
Vegas wants to open the file with RW acces (for what reason I don't know), which is here denied.
How a program tries to open a file (R / W or RW access) is in it's code, only developers can change it.
So your only option is to copy that file to another place (of course copy needs only read acces to source file)
and then you can open the copied file with Vegas.

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Omer Aydin
Re: Accessing open files via network
on Oct 11, 2016 at 5:05:04 pm

Thanks for the reply László

>>>So your only option is to copy that file to another place (of course copy needs only read access to source file)

That's it!
I've been using TeraCopy for a long time for file management and due to it's behavior(can't access locked files), I was unable to copy the locked files to local and I was thinking it was Win 7 behavior but your suggestion lit a bulb and I tried disabling TeraCopy and it worked.
Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]