FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to see average audio levels in Vegas?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frankie Jones
How to see average audio levels in Vegas?
on Oct 5, 2016 at 5:44:45 pm

Hey,
I wondered if there was a way of seeing average audio dB levels of a track during playback in Vegas.
At the moment I just listen by ear to see if the level of the commentary is roughly correct relative to the video audio.
I want to be able to see an average audio level that a track has, so that I can more precisely judge the difference in volume between commentary and video audio.
I don't want this to be an overly complicated so definitely dont want to be exporting to soundforge or anything like that, it isn't worth the time.
I know you can look at the track volume level meter during playback (currently I just look at this at the end to make sure I haven't peaked above 0db), but I wondered if there was a graph or something this produced / tracked where you could see how dB level varies?

(please note this does not need to be an insane scientific way of doing this, I just want a rough idea of a tracks average audio level without having to constantly look at the track green volume level indicator)

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: How to see average audio levels in Vegas?
on Oct 5, 2016 at 7:20:31 pm

Each Track has Live Output Meters in the Track Header.

Also do go: View > Window > Mixing Console . The Mixing Console has heaps of the same Meters but aligned Vertically together and is a real assist to what you want. I use it all the time.

As to an Average, which I don't understand, but if you mean that which you wish to see just how the audio develops overtime you can see Peaks which you can set.

There are plenty of tools to use in Vegas to do what you want.

Also, as a crude visual, use the Audio Sound File Graphs.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Roger Bansemer
on Oct 11, 2016 at 2:17:17 pm

Hi Graham,
I'm interested in seeing the volume over time as well. PBS requires us to have an average volume of -24dB which can't vary but -2dB in either direction. So the entire program must have an average of -24dB.
This is different than having lows and highs within the program. That's OK within certain boundaries.
I've used another meter in the past that John Rofrano found for me but I understand V13 can do the same job and even print out a copy of the report.
Roger

Roger Bansemer - PaintingAndTravel.com

Return to posts index

Frankie Jones
on Oct 11, 2016 at 2:48:21 pm

Do you know how to do this. I can't seem to find the above audio things suggested, if anyone has a simple guide how I can achieve this.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Oct 11, 2016 at 11:22:21 pm

I understand V13 can do the same job and even print out a copy of the report.

Yes it can. You can generate your loudness log before the actual render which produces a text file. Or you can do an "audio only" render which also creates a text file. Extremely useful--unlike plugins, you no longer have to "play" the entire timeline in order to produce loudness data.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Roger Bansemer
on Oct 12, 2016 at 10:45:09 am

Can you explain where and how this can be done or point me to a youtube video that might explain how? Thanks

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Oct 12, 2016 at 1:05:25 pm

Roger, I did a quick Google search on "sony vegas loudness meter" (without the quotes) and came up with this. More searching will probably show more sites.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/webhelp/soundforgepromac/2.0/ENU/Conten...

Return to posts index

Roger Bansemer
on Oct 12, 2016 at 2:01:57 pm

Thanks very much.
Roger

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Oct 12, 2016 at 11:34:00 pm

Roger,
It's really simple. This screen shot shows both the meters and how to generate the log file. If you render, there is a checkbox that permits you to generate a log file as well. It's much simpler and faster just to generate from the Tools menu.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Roger Bansemer
on Oct 13, 2016 at 2:14:22 pm

I tried that log and you're right it's very easy to use.
With the program plug-in I use to have, I had to play the entire project to get the results.
However, I put my "bars and tone" only on the timeline and tried it which is set to -20dB and the log read -20.71dB.
Do you know why that's happening or what to do about that?
Thanks
Roger

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]