FORUMS: list search recent posts

Push transition question

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stefan Schramm
Push transition question
on Sep 29, 2016 at 2:22:14 pm

Hi guys,

I have a bunch of stills on a stylized background that resembles a cell phone and I want to go from one to the next with the push transition. The effect is supposed to look like the swiping action on mobile phones. Right now the stills travel all the way across the screen, but of course, I'd like to mask the frame so that they only push a little ways, just as far as my background pictures suggests.

I tried with the pan/crop box, but either I didn't do it right or it's the wrong approach altogether. How do I do this?

Thanks,
Stefan

Vegas 12, Windows 7 Professional

Return to posts index

László Kovács
Re: Push transition question
on Sep 29, 2016 at 2:59:10 pm

What if you bring the background top, and make it transparent where you need the images to be visible?
I imagine a png, with a transparent "hole" in the middle, or anywhere.
Would this work?

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Stefan Schramm
on Sep 29, 2016 at 3:10:58 pm

That's an interesting idea - I'll give that a try.

Thanks,
Stefan

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Sep 30, 2016 at 5:56:33 am

OK :)
Let me know how it worked.
There's another solution, but it requires more track.

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Stefan Schramm
on Sep 30, 2016 at 12:39:10 pm

Hi László,

actually, the 'hole-in-the-middle' idea worked. The illusion is correct, but the push transition still doesn't cut it, because the images are not side by side. They are still traveling across the screen (even though they're invisible outside my transparent hole), and so there is still a gap between the images when they should really be adjacent to one another.

I can probably fix that now with the pan/crop box, but let's hear your other idea, too ,-)

Stefan

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Sep 30, 2016 at 3:23:31 pm

Hi Stefan,

The push transition (if we talk about the same, stock Vegas transition) has a "border" property, try set it to zero.

My other idea was to add another track above the track of the pictures. Let's call this "mask".
Make the original pictures track a compositing child of the "mask" track.
Set the compositing mode of the mask track to "multiply".
Now the pictures ar invisible, because the mask track is empty/transparent.
Add a solid white (generated media/solid color) event to the mask track.
Now, if you apply pan/crop, bezier mask, cookie cutter, or anything else masking to the solid white event, it results the underlying pictures track to be masked, so where the white becomes tranparent because of masking, there the pictures are tranparent too, making visible the background behind it.

And this whole thing is possible to move by parent motion of the "mask" track.

The "hole in the middle" is simpler, and much less CPU intensive. The second technique is more flexible, but requires more compution on playback and render.

I'm glad if I could help ;)

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Stefan Schramm
on Oct 6, 2016 at 11:31:48 am

Hi László,

Your comment about setting the border of the transition to 0 actually made me realize why it didn't work to begin with. It's because the pictures are portrait 4:3 images that don't fill the screen. I would actually need a negative value in the border box, which of course does not exist.

The masking procedure you described does not seem to work any better for me than the hole-in-the-middle approach. So I used that and animated the transition with a few keyframes in the pan/crop box. This made for a very convincing swipe. So... project closed ?

Thanks a bunch,
Stefan

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Oct 7, 2016 at 7:40:20 am

[Stefan Schramm] "the pictures are portrait 4:3 images that don't fill the screen."

Aaah! Without actually seeing, I never would think of that ?

Anyway, I'm glad I could help ;)

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Craig Meeks
on Oct 8, 2016 at 3:03:04 am

I just wanted to give my two cents on this since I do this quite often. The easiest method is if you have a static solid background. I believe this is what you did. Simply place the backgrounds all around the phone leaving a "hole" as suggested.

Another option would be to create the photo layer separately. To do this simply create a new project the same size as the device screen. So if it is an iPhone make it 750x1334, 640x1136, or 1080x1920 (depending on the size of your final output.) Then all you have to do is line ALL your photos up on your timeline in the new project and apply the push transition to each. You can then simply render this out in say 750x1334 with an alpha channel using avi or png sequence. Now simply put that rendered file back into your original project, underneath the device layer. Make sure to enable the alpha channel in the media properties. That's it!

Craig Meeks
http://www.bluefortressmedia.com

Return to posts index

Stefan Schramm
on Oct 13, 2016 at 1:42:26 pm

Hi Craig,

that's a good idea, doing it in a separate project. I'll think of that the next time. The current project is already done.

Thanks,
Stefan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]