FORUMS: list search recent posts

Footage from secondary drive, very slow preview.

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Winthrop
Footage from secondary drive, very slow preview.
on Sep 27, 2016 at 5:48:31 pm

I have been told that the best way to edit is to have your footage on a drive that ISN'T your OS drive.

I have three drives, one SSD with my OS and programs, a one terabyte and a 4 terabyte. I had planned to reference footage from the 4 tb drive and render to the one terabyte drive as I have read this is the optimal set up.

I use a lot of very large video files with alpha channels stacked on top of each other and after testing having the video files on my main SSD rather than the 4 tb makes previewing significantly faster. I honestly assumed that would be the case because it's not an SSD but everyone told me it wouldn't make a difference.

Is there anyway I can arrange vegas so that video files from my backup drives aren't so slow and laggy?

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
Re: Footage from secondary drive, very slow preview.
on Sep 27, 2016 at 7:07:37 pm

Lag time for me in VP14 is less than 1 second. Maybe half or quarter of a second. Same in VP13. I'm running a i7-3930 6 core CPU and using a USB 3.0 external drive source for my footage and with Vegas running on my SSD main drive.

Naturally, if the external drive goes to sleep .. it does take time to wake it up -- but once awake, we are off to the races.

Lots of factors here, I'd say including the type of files, effects, preview window, graphic card, dynamic ram -- etc etc. I'm not sure which things matter in this type of lag. I just know I"m not seeing it in VP14.

Return to posts index

John Winthrop
on Sep 27, 2016 at 7:27:10 pm

Ahh i should have specified I am still in 13 Pro. Will probably be getting 14 within the month. Is the lag significantly reduced from 13?

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
on Sep 27, 2016 at 7:32:02 pm

I'm not seeing any difference between VP13 and VP14 .. very little lag unless drive is asleep.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]