FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vegas 14 sloooow to load

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Kauzlarich
Vegas 14 sloooow to load
on Sep 27, 2016 at 6:13:09 am

Projects that load fairly quickly in Vegas 12 & 13 load very slowly in Vegas 14. I've tried everything I can think of to find the problem, including opening the same file on both my Dell Precision T-7400 (Win 7, 8 processor, 32 gigs ram, 128 ssd c drive) and my new Boxx Apexx 2 - 2402 (Win 7, 4 processor-8 core @ 4.25Ghz, 512 ssd c drive, 32 gigs ram and 6tb HD).

The project file is 70 gigs and takes about 60 seconds on either machine using Vegas 12 & 13, but takes about 6-7 minutes using Vegas 14. Is anyone else experiencing such difficulties?

Once open, it works fine so far, but I get occasional lags.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Kauzlarich

Return to posts index

László Kovács
Re: Vegas 14 sloooow to load
on Sep 27, 2016 at 7:10:00 am

Hi,

Sorry to say YES. :(
What footage do you have in that project?
The project I'm experiencing this problem contains .m2t and .mxf files as footage.
( https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/1013713#1013774 )
During open that project I checked Task manager and resource monitor to see where the bottleneck could be.
I found that Vegas 14 reads .m2t and .mxf files very intensive.
Once I got to the timeline Vegas looks to behaves normal.

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Sep 27, 2016 at 8:33:00 am

My experience - just tested.

Aim:
To compare MXF Load times between VP13 and VP14.

Base DATA:
Canon XF300 MXF Media.
Project Media Size: 1.11 GBs
Project Run-time: 3mins 5 secs

Experiment:
  • Timed against a iOS9 APPLE Stopwatch.
  • Ran alternating, separate iterations of VP13 and VP14 which contained the same amount and same MXF media.
  • On closing VP13 and VP14 interrogated Project Manager to confirm their completed closure

Results:
  • VP13: 10.1 secs ; 9.4 secs ; 9.7 secs ; MM removed 9.7
  • VP14: 14.0 secs ; 12.3 secs ; 12.9 secs ; MM removed 9.3 secs ; Again no MM 9.4

Observations:
Obs 1: Note worthy drop in load time when Media Manager is removed from VP14 Project. Here that is a difference of between 4 and 3 seconds over a 03:05 project.
Obs 2: However, removal of Media Manager from VP13 makes no difference.

Conclusions:
VP13 would appear to be optimized to load Media Manager and VP14 is not.

Recommendation:
I present these finding to MAGIX for their advise.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Steve Kauzlarich
on Sep 27, 2016 at 5:37:50 pm

Thanks for looking into this guys! I am indeed using m2t files. My cameras (V1u and Z5u) both use this format. I know that m2t files load into Vegas more slowly than modern codecs (and probably render slower as well) but 6-7 minutes seemed excessive. I'll contact Magix and see what's up.

Steve Kauzlarich

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Sep 28, 2016 at 5:06:40 am

Hi Steve!

I'm sure this is a new bug introduced in Vegas 14, and it should not behave that way.
Report the issue to Magix, they need to fix it.

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Steve Kauzlarich
on Sep 28, 2016 at 6:15:36 am

Yes - I opened a ticket with Magix earlier today. I think you're right about the m2t files Laszlo - we'll see what Magix says.

The 60 gig veg won't even open on my older 8 processor Dell. After 30 minutes of loading and choking, and 28 gigs of ram, it finally ran out of memory and died.

Thanks

Steve Kauzlarich

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Sep 28, 2016 at 6:44:53 am

Hi,
I can confirm.
The last wedding I did with my old V1E last year in august, is impossibble to open with V14.
The footage is about 75 GB, the veg file is 1.8MB
Never opens in V14 :(

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Red-Rob Rothkopf
on Oct 3, 2016 at 5:09:40 am

When loading my V14 project, it is taking *21 minutes* to load.
0-3%
  • instant
  • @3% 11 minutes
  • @ 11% 10
minutes --> Timeline populates then and project seems loaded.

@ 3% my CPU was at 16% (Vegas using 15%), memory @ 28% and Disk I/O at 52 MB/s
When loaded fully, CPU was at 36% (Vegas using 33%), memory @ 56%.

I loaded a V10 version of this project into V10, and it loads instantly. (that version was from beginning of day -- since then I've tweaked LOTS of edits, audio envelopes, and added media effects (mostly color correct).

To assure it wasn't my changes, I then loaded that same V10 version of the project into V14 as a control. Similar results to my newer V14 version of that project.
  • 0-6% 3 minutes
  • 6%-11%->100% 11 minutes
  • Sat at 100% for another 11 minutes then the timeline loaded.

Because of the theories here that it is the .M2T file format, I loaded that V10 project into V10, removed the .M2T and loaded in both V10 and V14. I ran this test while also rendering an AC3 file in another window.. so I expect these results to be a bit slower than otherwise due to that. That said -- without the .M2T file, the load times were as follows:
  • V10: 103 seconds
  • V14: 130 seconds it jumped from 12 to 100%. Then took an additional 106 seconds sitting at 100% before the timeline
loaded.

MANY times faster than with the .M2T file in V14. So, clearly the .M2T file is causing the majority of the excessive load times (and me to stay up way later than I should! ;-) ) Then there's some other process after it gets to 100% which is causing an additional delay, significantly quicker still without the .M2T file.

How best to report bugs to MAGIX team?

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Oct 3, 2016 at 8:40:56 am

Hi,

Open a support ticket, and describe the problem.
I guess a week later you'll get a response telling that they are investigating the problem, or something similar.

Than, my best hope is there will be an update soon, which addresses this bug.

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Steve Kauzlarich
on Oct 3, 2016 at 2:23:35 pm

I haven't yet heard a peep from Magix since reporting this problem early last week. Thursday I couldn't find anyway to check on my trouble ticket. I called them again but phone numbers were asking me te enter odd codes to continue onto "A" then "B" and then told me the codes didn't match. I called sales but the line was continuously busy. My guess is that they are on overload.

Sticking with V13 for now. V14 eventually opens on my new Boxx computer but I sure wouldn't want to risk a crash or reboot, especially when working with a client.

Steve Kauzlarich

Return to posts index

Red-Rob Rothkopf
on Oct 4, 2016 at 3:45:40 am

> "open a support ticket"

easier said than done!!

went to their site, and they don't have an option for a Vegas 14 support issues... they have older SCS software (through 13) and other products they sell.. but not Vegas 14!!

grrrrr

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Oct 4, 2016 at 11:00:47 am

I didn't do too much care for this, just wrote every relevant info into the description.
That should do it until there will be a correct support page :)

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Peter Holt
on Oct 4, 2016 at 3:33:50 pm

How on earth can Magix reproduce an issue involving 50-100GB of data? You can't exactly dropbox it, or put in on a few DVDs. You could put it on 2 50GB blueray disks. Or send them a $80 1TB USB HD and hope they return it.

Return to posts index

Red-Rob Rothkopf
on Oct 4, 2016 at 4:12:15 pm

Ha! Good point!

Well, since eliminating the single .M2T file reduced my load time from 21 minutes to 2 minutes, it does seem that the .M2T handling seems to be the culprit and probably easy enough to track down. With others reporting the same problem this should be doable.

Supporting the notion that this is a file I/O issue -- I just created a new project in Vegas14, and in the in-Vegas EXPLORER window navigated to the folder where I have two .M2T files. It's been sitting on that dialog now for several minutes with task manager showing constant disk activity (I'm guessing it is reading the files from start to end). After 11 minutes, the screen flashed and I got control back. Noteworthy is that the explorer window does NOT have auto-preview play enabled.

Return to posts index

Steve Kauzlarich
on Oct 4, 2016 at 8:06:54 pm

I opened a case last Tuesday with Magix via phone regarding the slow load times of my m2t files into V14. I heard back from them yesterday (Monday). In reply to the below support response, I sent them a link to the test performed by Red-Rob Rothkopf earlier in this thread.

I'm sure they're slammed with bugs and such, but I'm surprised that they don't have better online support as an established company. I'm sticking with V13 for now which is fine. At this point I'm just happy that someone bought Vegas and I'm not forced to work with Premier...

FROM MAGIX:
.... This is something we are looking into currently however we are not able to reproduce the issue yet. Which specific hardware or software created the source files?

Best regards,
Eric Dettman

MAGIX Software GmbH
Supportmanager

Postfach 200914
01194 Dresden
Germany

Steve Kauzlarich

Return to posts index

Red-Rob Rothkopf
on Oct 4, 2016 at 8:18:38 pm

> Which specific hardware or software created the source files?

The file was created using Vegas 10's built-in "Capture HD Video" function, to load HDV footage from my Canon XHA1s.

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Oct 8, 2016 at 7:22:16 pm

Hi,

I had some problem now with my .mts files from my JVC HM600.
One of them I recorded today was long, over an hour, about 16GB in size.
After I edited, Vegas14 crashed, bringing down even my PC when I wanted to render.
The symptoms were similar to what we encountered with .mxf, and .m2t files, but now with my mts.
As a last chance (because I needed to render) I replaced Vegas 14 File IO plugins with those from Vegas13.
It works.
And it healed my problem for now.
I checked back, and reopened the project that was impossible to open with Vegas14.
Now, with the file IO plugins from Vegas13 everything seems to work fine (I'm so lucky... :)).

I'll report the case for Magix too.
Seemingly, Magix fixed some bugs in Vegas, and placed few other in fileIO.

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Steve Kauzlarich
on Oct 10, 2016 at 4:03:04 pm

I received the following reaponse from Magix tech support regarding the m2t bug problem:

We now have this issue correctly reproduced and in our bug tracker and are working on an update to fix it.  In support we are not able to provide iron clad promises as to a timeframe, but it sounds like it will be soon.

Steve Kauzlarich

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]