FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vegas Pro 13 rendering corrupted by any video operation on the PC

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Holt
Vegas Pro 13 rendering corrupted by any video operation on the PC
on Sep 25, 2016 at 6:40:32 am

I may have posted this here before, referencing RDP (remote desktop) which would pretty well stop Pro 13 running, although MSP11/12 were fine.

This is what happens if you do any video operation on the PC e.g. use VLC to play a video
https://vimeo.com/176904769

Just now, I was doing what looks like a 50-70hr render and went on facebook and played a little video on there, and sure enough Vegas got corrupted again, generating mostly black frames interspersed with the correct ones.

I am not a Windows programmer (embedded systems only) and am told this is caused by something outside Vegas using Direct X.

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
Re: Vegas Pro 13 rendering corrupted by any video operation on the PC
on Oct 2, 2016 at 1:09:53 am

Try turning GPU support off.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

Peter Holt
on Oct 2, 2016 at 6:07:59 pm

I have done, everywhere I can find.

Return to posts index

Peter Holt
on Oct 5, 2016 at 1:24:04 pm

I have a new data point.

This is a bug in Vegas Pro 13 itself, or in the NBFX Lens Correction plug-in which is the only 3rd party FX I am using.

I have just finished an 80hr render, on a PC which was totally not touched at all (because all previous renders started showing the corruption fairly early on) and it *still* corrupted the video, at around the 95% point.

I am getting around it by re-rendering the last 5% and then will use AviDemux to join the files, but this puts a different perspective on the issue. It isn't just the use of RDP or playing video on the same PC. There is something else which can trigger it.

GPU acceleration is disabled everywhere, as per previous threads on this issue.

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Oct 5, 2016 at 2:09:19 pm

Hi,

I still remember the previous thread.
So you say, if you touch that machine during rendering via rdp, or play movies with vlc, the problem arises at that moment?
But if you leave it alone, it works for -say- 65 hours, and then the problem rises again?

If you leave out NBFX lens correction, and do the same render, and do something that in the previous situation triggers the problem, what happens then? Is then that test render also corrupt?
If not, I'm afraid the culprit is the lens correction plugin.

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Peter Holt
on Oct 5, 2016 at 2:25:55 pm

Yes; your description is spot on.

I could try it without NBFX but practically it is not easy to narrow it down, because

- a previous 80hr render worked OK (almost identical media, same FX chain)
- it takes potentially many hours of not being able to use the computer, to get one data point
- RDP etc doesn't always corrupt it (but RDP always stops Pro 13 starting up, which is itself curious, and there may be the clue)

I have emailed NBFX asking if this is something they have heard of previously.

MSP11 and MSP12 worked fine in all respects, RDP, etc.

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Oct 5, 2016 at 2:56:54 pm

I thought just render a 10 minutes chunk and try to make it corrupt intentionally.
If you can do it only having NBFX on the effects chain, then the problem surely is there.
Can you change your VGA drivers? If you have the latest installed, maybe you could try an older WHQL certified.
(I've seen years ago, that a WinXP pro, was unable to serve RDP connection, until a correct video driver was installed.)
I don't use NBFX plugins, so don't know... but as an external stuff it may use -probably malfunctioning- GPU/Directx functions , despite you disbled it in Vegas everywhere...

Meanwhile I made my desktop to be available via rdp.
This was kind of hacking, as it is W7 home premium, and it is disabled to act as RDP server by default, I'm not even sure it's legal what I did. But I did this just for couriosity ( however in some situations I find it useful :))
The thing is, that both Vegas 13 and 14 started without problem via RDP. (I won't use them so, but they started, empty project is there, playhead is movable)
Screenshot: ?

What if you remove NBFX temporarily? Does Vegas start over RDP then?

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Peter Holt
on Oct 7, 2016 at 11:07:49 am

I had an email reply from NBFX. This is getting interesting...

It turns out there is an additional config in NBFX for the GPU use, and it was not disabled in there. Actually I am very sure I did disable it there but probably an update re-enabled it.

However, I cannot disable it:

http://peter-ftp.co.uk/screenshots/2016-10-06_195837.jpg

The two lower checkboxes cannot be clicked. I have no idea what "standalone" means.

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Oct 7, 2016 at 5:17:49 pm

Hi,
So the problem seems to be really with NBFX.
This is surely beyond my knowlegde, sorry.
:(

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]