FORUMS: list search recent posts

Having trouble keeping multiple tracks from becoming discombobulated.

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff David
Having trouble keeping multiple tracks from becoming discombobulated.
on Sep 23, 2016 at 6:47:36 pm

I have a project nearing completion that is 2 hours long.

I have the following tracks stacked vertically starting from the bottom up:

1. soundtrack/music

2. voice over

3. video

4. various pieces of text that are woven throughout my project.

Putting final tweaks and adjustments to the 4 tracks, I can never seem to keep them all in-order.

I.e. I get one part just right, then tweak another part which throws something else off and have to do things over an over.

I tried breaking the project into separate parts. For instance having 2 - 1 hour projects instead of 1 - 2 hour. and edit each section separate but still having the same problems.

I think I will go to editing the show into 15 minute segments each as a separate project.

Then after all the segments are the way I want them put them back into one 2 hour show.

I know to turn Auto Ripple off when adjusting certain clips and to create, "groups" - grouping sections of clips together.
as well as to deselect "Ignore event grouping" but the different tracks still get discombobulated no matter what.

I think where I may be failing is in not using envelopes. "Lock envelopes to events" of course is a pop up under, the "config" button.

I have not familiarized myself with envelopes - though I see I need to - and will. I think that may be where the fault lies.

Anyways, I am interested to know how others are able to edit 4 tracks or 3 tracks and avoid the diff segements getting out of whack?

Thanks for any insight!

Lenovo quad core i7 16gb of ram, Windows 8.1 MS 13 64 bit Thumbnail is view out of the Olde North Church window where the signal lanterns were hung, as in, "1 if by land 2 if by sea" looking across the Charles River to the Charlestown Naval Yard where rebels awaited the signal April 18th, 1775.

Return to posts index

Jeff David
Re: Having trouble keeping multiple tracks from becoming discombobulated.
on Sep 23, 2016 at 6:51:26 pm

I see in the help section, "Applying switches to events".

I'm reading it now but on first look - this looks like a way to prevent all the tracks from getting out of order?

Lenovo quad core i7 16gb of ram, Windows 8.1 MS 13 64 bit Thumbnail is view out of the Olde North Church window where the signal lanterns were hung, as in, "1 if by land 2 if by sea" looking across the Charles River to the Charlestown Naval Yard where rebels awaited the signal April 18th, 1775.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Sep 24, 2016 at 10:46:08 am

[Jeff David] "Anyways, I am interested to know how others are able to edit 4 tracks or 3 tracks and avoid the diff segements getting out of whack?"
I've edited projects with 20+ video and audio tracks combined and never had any problems.

I believe the key is to NOT use Ripple Edit! This is poorly implemented and should be avoided unless you are certain of what you are doing. It will happily move events under other events hiding them in the process and, in general, will cause massive discombobulation if you are not careful. I think your use of Ripple Edit might be causing your problem. Just stop using it.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Sep 25, 2016 at 12:22:31 am

I second what John is saying.

Also make sure to set Ripple Edit to ALL TRACKS, I think the default is not. Then learn the keyboard short cut to ripple end, and toggle it on only when needed.

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Sep 28, 2016 at 4:49:16 pm

Thanks for the advice on "ripple".

I discovered the switches and the "lock" option under switches!

So of course if you use the "lock" switch - the clips are cemented in place so I think I will have much better luck now that I know about the "lock" switch and I'll also keep in mind what was said about ripple.

Already I am loving the lock switch!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]