FORUMS: list search recent posts

4K and Sharpening Image in Vegas - looks ugly

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek Charles
4K and Sharpening Image in Vegas - looks ugly
on Sep 21, 2016 at 9:23:14 am

I shoot on an a7sii
I am told to turn detail all the way down for best results.
I am told that in camera sharpening or in this case called "detail" is not desirable -
Is everyone adding sharpening back slightly in post? Is this the trick? or does that create weird artifacts?
I've put Vegas at 15% Sharpen - and it made faces way too sharp and fake.
Is everyone just leaving it dialed all the way down the whole time - and not adding sharpening -?
I know to go with whatever looks best depending on the footage, but are there any side effects of steps mentioned above?

With all this sharpening talk
I want to start shooting internal 4K 24p to my SD card - but down scaling it to 1080 in post due to cpu limits -
I hear this is results a better image than just shooting in the internal 1080 24
Is this as easily achievable as just dropping the 4K file on a Vegas timeline and then changing project properties to 1080p 24p?

Looking to try this stuff out at a gig today
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Colin Moxey
Re: 4K and Sharpening Image in Vegas - looks ugly
on Sep 21, 2016 at 11:49:13 am

Hi Derek,

I shoot with a Sony PXW-Z150 and add a small amount of sharpening in SVP 13. I set the Sony Sharpen to 0.001, just enough to make the difference.

The rendered footage looks fantastic.
I think its a case of less is more.
I got this good advice on this site.
Not sure if this helps, but good luck and hope that others can help you out.
With best wishes

Colin

Return to posts index

Derek Charles
on Mar 15, 2017 at 2:19:38 am

Hey I've used your 0.001% sharpening advice some months ago with good results - thanks
If I'm dialing detail all the way down IN camera. Should I even be adding the 0.001% in Vegas?
I''m now only noticing there may be artifacts by adding even the small 0.001 or it may just give a peculiar look, with like miniature macroblocking or something- again on a small level, but with moving subjects, I wonder if it's hurting the "natural" look I'm going for by dialing down detail In camera on purpose?

Return to posts index

John Norton
on Sep 21, 2016 at 2:09:37 pm

Thats what I do any, just drop on timeline and render to FHD.

Return to posts index

Derek Charles
on Sep 23, 2016 at 12:02:15 am

Thanks for your replies -
On my previous laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T500 it's highest res was 1280 x 800
I had the VGA out from the laptop go into my 1080p monitor - I was told that it was still displaying 1080 if I was editing my 1080 footage. I now am watching my videos on my new 1080 laptop with hdmi to my 1080 monitor and they are absolutely disgusting in over sharpening -
Though I think I remember setting the display in Control Panel to the option 1920X1080 though... I dont know for sure.
When I was adding slight sharpening in Vegas, was I seeing a lower res file on my monitor and compensating for that the whole time?!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]