FORUMS: list search recent posts

I'm trying to use record player to record to timeline but I have no sound that I can hear.

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Gregory
I'm trying to use record player to record to timeline but I have no sound that I can hear.
on Sep 13, 2016 at 2:54:46 am

I'm missing something obvious but can't seem to see what as I haven't tried this before. What I have is a very old record player plugged into my PC.

I know that I can record audio directly onto the timeline & can even see the wave form in Vegas pro. I can set the levels OK but I can't hear what's being recorded.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

László Kovács
Re: I'm trying to use record player to record to timeline but I have no sound that I can hear.
on Sep 13, 2016 at 5:15:26 am

Hi,

...and if you play that timeline, you can hear what you recorded, and it sounds correctly?

If this is the case, you just need to set up audio in Windows, so that you hear what comes in.
In Windows 7 it is doable this way:
-right click the loudspeaker in the tray icon, and choose mixer.
-and again right click the speaker, and now choose recording devices
a list will apper with the devices you can use.
I think you'll need something like "line in", right click it, and choose properties.
The second tab is kind of "listen to", there is a check box "listen to the divec".
Check this box and apply, and on the mixer the device will appear, there you can set the volume.
Note, that this is the volume of how it sounds, not how it records ;)

I'm a bit unsure of the terms, because my Windows is not english, but I hope you can follow.

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Paul Gregory
Re: I'm trying to use record player to record to timeline but I have no sound that I can hear.
on Sep 15, 2016 at 8:08:16 am

Thanks for the reply. I have been playing around with the audio settings as you suggested but so far I have yet to hit the one which allows for me to hear the audio as it's being recorded. As I said I can get the wave forms to appear in Vegas as I press the arm for record buttons. I suspect that the little samples that I have recorded so far are clipped because I haven't located so far where I turn it down. I'll continue to play with this on and off as I get time. A fiend suggests that I download a free program called Audacity but this would probably have a steeper learning curve with it as I am totally unfamiliar with it.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

john bolton
on Sep 15, 2016 at 3:20:20 pm

If you need to record what you hear on the PC speakers then you have to have Stereo Mix enabled. The problem is, Win7 sound drivers load an MS version so that the feature is not available. ( they don't like you recording things on line ) You have to download the manufacturers original version ( Maybe they are Realtek) . I had to do that with my setup and then in the system Recording devices, right mouse on the select Sound selection box and click Show all devices. Then select Stereo Mix

I am not quite sure of your problem but just on case... this might help//

Return to posts index

Bruce Brent
on Sep 15, 2016 at 3:56:14 pm

Paul, chances are your record player doesn't have an amplifier within the record player. So, there'd be no "push" of what you'd want to send to your PC.

Here's a link to anything/everything you'd want to know on how to connect your record player to your computer.
http://www.channld.com/Connecting%20a%20Turntable%20R1.pdf

As for recording software, Audacity is your best (free) choice. Audacity is a simple program which will do what you want to do and more. There's plenty of tutorials on YouTube to get you going. Once you do one or two recordings with Audacity, you'll be on your own and enjoy the program.

Let us know how this worked out for you.

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Sep 16, 2016 at 5:15:59 am

Oh well, that stereo mix is fine if you want to record what you hear from the PC.
But if I understood correctly, he wants the opposite: to hear what he is recording.
And for that the settings are correct I described. Later I 'll com back with pictures too :D
You're right, that a RIAA corrector is needed.

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Sep 16, 2016 at 8:38:04 am

So, here I am.
I uploaded that video, it's a screen capture, and shows, how I capture approximately 20 seconds audio from line-in.
Unfortunately, I could attach only my phone, so the sound quality is far from good. (It's bad)
But the video demonstrates the steps to listen to what is recorded.
It also shows how to change the recording level, which is not the same as changing the monitoring level :)
Until 1:01 I didn't here on the speakers what Audacitiy recorded. I switched the "listen to" on for line in, and at that moment the music was on the speaker as well. It's visible also on the green bars of the Windows mixer ;)

I hope I could help...

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Paul Gregory
on Sep 17, 2016 at 6:12:14 am

Thanks for the video. I eventually got it sorted out even though the video wasn't in English. Now all I have to do is be certain that the recording level isn't too high. It appears that its just a slider with a mic on it even & I was expecting something that allowed me to see a level by nominating DB's.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Paul Gregory
on Sep 17, 2016 at 10:50:15 am

As it turns out maybe all of this effort is going to be for nothing. I can see the signal on the screen I can hear it now but what I'm hearing when playing it back appears to me to be a bit slow so it makes me think that perhaps the belt on this old phonograph is slipping and if that's the case other than replacing the belt I don't think I could speed it up to make it plays an acceptable level.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

john bolton
on Sep 18, 2016 at 7:44:23 am

Is it constant Slow or variable slow?

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Sep 19, 2016 at 9:48:17 am

Hi,
if it's simply constant slow, is it maybe a small record, also called SP?
Those were spinning at 45 rpm, while the LP's were spinning at 33 1/3 rpm. There used to be a switch on the player, which set the correct speed, noting 45/33, SP/LP or similar...

If it's constant slow, but you can't find the switch, as a last chance, you can speed it up in post, but that will not sound as good as the original.

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]