FORUMS: list search recent posts

Render of FFMPEG Copy lower quality than Original Render?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Ames
Render of FFMPEG Copy lower quality than Original Render?
on Sep 10, 2016 at 3:38:59 pm

I feel like an FFMPEG forum would be more appropriate, but people here seem to know about it so I'll leave this here.

I have a raw file of computer capture which is 22.7 GB large. There is only a minute long clip of that raw file which I wanted to keep for editing purposes, so in order to save disk space, I looked into tools which destructively slice. I used FFmpeg with the line:

ffmpeg -ss [START TIME] -i [INPUT].mp4 -map 0 -c copy -t [DURATION] [OUTPUT].mp4

I used -map 0 to map all 5 of my channels (1 video, 4 audio) and -c copy to avoid re-encoding.

This resulted in a nice small file only a little over a minute long which contained the footage I wanted. All video and audio streams were supposedly copied, retaining the original quality, but I feel like the FFmpeg footage is worse quality than the original, when watching the rendered videos of each.

Instead of uploading to Youtube and decreasing the quality further, I created a DropBox with the full, non-compressed renders. Each of them are smaller than 180 GB.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jg0t4idezyung72/AACOIXvqmieQZPs8FzaOZqzOa?dl=0 (you'll have to download the videos, don't watch them through DropBox's video player)

I don't know how to compare two videos for quality, but I'd like to assure that I'm preserving as much as possible from my original capture.

Return to posts index

László Kovács
Re: Render of FFMPEG Copy lower quality than Original Render?
on Sep 10, 2016 at 4:55:36 pm

Hi,

you did it right.

To my eyes, the 2 files look identical.
And they are, apart from the fact, that the ffmpeg output starts 3 frames later.

I placed both file onto timeline, and synced (that's how I know the 3 frames delay).
Then I substracted first original from ffmpeg, then ffmpeg from riginal.
Both resulted in a pure black screen, so I think they are identical in quality.
I suspect, the worse quality from ffmpeg you think/feel to see is some kind of placebo.

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Thomas Ames
on Sep 12, 2016 at 2:12:10 pm

Hi László,

Thanks for the response! That sounds like a pretty intricate method of comparison; I really appreciate it.

I did suspect that the lesser quality was just me being nitpicky and expecting that my method was incorrect and you've pretty much assured me of that.

Thanks for your time.

-Tom

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Sep 13, 2016 at 5:01:04 am

I'm glad to help ;)

You're welcome!

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]