FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reinstalling Magix Vegas Pro 13 on another Pc?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Leder
Reinstalling Magix Vegas Pro 13 on another Pc?
on Sep 9, 2016 at 6:45:33 pm

Hey there,

thanks for taking the time to read this thread. Please note im not a pro at Vegas so i do not know very much about it, but already a little bit. So, my Question is, am I able to reinstall Magix Vegas on another Pc later? At the moment i am having a Notebook, yet powerful enough to use Vegas, but late this year I want to get a new Desktop Pc. If I buy Vegas now and install it on my Notebook, is it possible to reinstall it on the new Pc I am going to get without buying it again?

Thank you for any response, they are really helping me ot a lot ;D

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: Reinstalling Magix Vegas Pro 13 on another Pc?
on Sep 9, 2016 at 7:29:45 pm

As long as you deactivate and uninstall it from your notebook first, It should be ok....
http://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/eula/professional/

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Francois Blawat
on Sep 9, 2016 at 7:55:57 pm

So, it appears that Magix is changing what SCS had in terms of the number of PC's I could install software onto? I just read it, and it appears they are saying you can install the number on only the specific number of licenses you have. I thought under SCS we could install Vegas Pro onto as many systems as we own. (2 Desktops, Laptop as long as they were not used at the same time)

Am I reading this incorrectly now?

- - - - -
FixitMad

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Sep 9, 2016 at 9:33:43 pm

THAT would be a major blow to those of us who have it installed on numerous computers, yet only use one at a time.
So now when I go to make changes to a project at a clients place, or coffee shop, instead of taking my laptop and a copy of the Veg file and footage, I either need to deactivate my huge editing suite computer or buy a second licence??? WOW!

Here is hoping that ISN'T the case!!!

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

Amanda Duffield
on Sep 10, 2016 at 3:50:19 am

Well, for starters, I didn't realize I could put vegas pro 13 on different computers so I'm fairly annoyed at myself for not realizing! I really need it on pc and laptop.
Anyway, I will soon have a new computer so need to check this also. I have vegas pro 13 and don't want to upgrade to magix because i'm about to purchase captionAssistant for pro 13, and will eventually have to re-locate both of these onto a new pc.
Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Sep 10, 2016 at 1:21:25 pm

[Francois Blawat] "I just read it, and it appears they are saying you can install the number on only the specific number of licenses you have."
WOW, that is outrageous! Even Adobe (the evil empire) lets you install CC on two computers at once. Almost every editor I know has a laptop and a desktop. What is MAGIX thinking?

Makes me happy I moved to the Mac. I have Apple Final Cut Pro X installed on all 4 of my Macs and Apple doesn't expect me to pay a penny extra. ;-)

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Jorma Nippala
on Sep 10, 2016 at 2:11:21 pm

This is from the EULA link given by Steve Rhoden.

3.1 Together with the MAGIX Product you will receive an individual serial number which you must enter during installation. A one-time registration as well as online activation are also required. Using the serial number, you can activate the MAGIX Product for the number of Computers specified in the serial number; each Computer will be assigned a License Seat. If the number of License Seats specified in the serial number is exceeded, a license seat must be deactivated in order to activate the product again.

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Sep 10, 2016 at 4:19:49 pm

Hi,

I wasn't even thinking at all about this can change...
At the very moment I have Vegas pro 13 installed (and activated) on both my desktop and notebook.
On my desktop updated my V13 to build 545 (a MAGIX build) at hte moment I found Vegasaur 2.7.
Now, I updated my notebook as well. I see no problem so far, but asked about the situation at Magix support.
I'll report back if get an answer ;)

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Sep 10, 2016 at 6:02:07 pm

[László Kovács] "At the very moment I have Vegas pro 13 installed (and activated) on both my desktop and notebook."
I don't believe this pertains for Vegas Pro 13. That ws a Sony product that you purchased under the Sony EULA and MAGIX has agreed to honor it. Sony has no notion of "deactivation" so it would be impossible for this to apply to Sony products.

It sounds like starting with MAGIX Vegas Pro 14, there is now a license key and an Activation and Deactivation that will only allow one computer to use the software at a time. This could be a deal breaker for many people with a laptop and desktop.
[László Kovács] "I see no problem so far, but asked about the situation at Magix support. I'll report back if get an answer ;)"
Do let us know.

~jr

Return to posts index

Eric Clinch
on Sep 11, 2016 at 4:35:29 am

License Verification looks a potential deal breaker as well unless I'm reading it wrong. Say you're away in the wilderness shooting and editing, no internet or phone connection and oops your Vegas software needs to phone home to verify in order to continue working.........

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Sep 11, 2016 at 12:39:08 pm

[Eric Clinch] "Say you're away in the wilderness shooting and editing, no internet or phone connection and oops your Vegas software needs to phone home to verify in order to continue working........."
It didn't say anything about needed to verify after activation. I agree that would be a huge deal-breaker.

It only said that you would need to activate and deactivate to use more than one PC. I have plug-ins that require activation but then they work without an internet connection after that so hopefully that is what they are planning but the limit of 1 PC is still extreme, IMHO.

~jr

Return to posts index

Eric Clinch
on Sep 11, 2016 at 11:01:10 pm

John, License Verification is Item no.4 of the EULA.

Somewhere on the Magix Vegas Forum I read it happens monthly.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Sep 12, 2016 at 2:34:06 am

[Eric Clinch] "License Verification is Item no.4 of the EULA. Somewhere on the Magix Vegas Forum I read it happens monthly."
Wow, that is unfortunate. :(

~jr

Return to posts index

Don Cobble
on Sep 12, 2016 at 2:40:51 am

4. License verification Individual MAGIX Product licenses have to be validated periodically. This ensures that the original Software is being used and that it is being used according to the license terms and conditions. This requires an Internet connection.

Read more: http://www.magix.com/us/eula/professional/
Follow us: Google+ | Facebook

PC 1
I7 2.8 Ghz 16GB Ram
SSD 850 Pro OS drive
2x 850 EVO Raid 1TB
Win 7 Pro 64bit OS
GeForce GTX 960

PC 2
I7 3930K 3.2Ghz
32 GB Ram
SSD 850 Pro OS drive
2x 850 EVO Raid 1TB
3-4 TB HD
Win 7 Pro 64bit OS
XFX Radeon R9 290

IMAC Retina 5K 27in
4.Ghz i7 32gb Ram
AMD R9 M395X 4Mb
El Capitan

Magix Vegas 13 & Adobe Production Premium CS6 & -Edius 7.5 Pro - Edius WG Pro 8 - Sony Catalyst Production Suite - FCPX - DaVinchi Resolve 12.5

Camera
Sony EX1 shoot in 1920x1080 30P

Return to posts index

Don Cobble
on Sep 12, 2016 at 2:43:39 am

4. License verification Individual MAGIX Product licenses have to be validated periodically. This ensures that the original Software is being used and that it is being used according to the license terms and conditions. This requires an Internet connection.

Follow us: Google+ | Facebook

Return to posts index

Francois Blawat
on Sep 12, 2016 at 2:18:20 pm

I swear that I asked this question several months ago about the online verification and I thought Eric had responded back saying Vegas would only need a one-time verification and activation online once. After that, we could use the software offline.

This whole issue with the EULA is a deal breaker for me and I hope that someone at MAGIX clarifies their statement. Going from installing the SCS software onto as many systems as we own (Great), to only one system under the new MAGIX EULA is bad in IMHO as well.

I really hope that MAGIX is not changing everything. So far, I have not been impressed about the procedure on how to get our original logins from the SCS to MAGIX. I had to read the instructions on the forums. No email sent to me and I have been with Sonic Foundry / Sony since 2002. I have over 30 pieces of software registered so I'm little miffed by this whole process so far.

- - - - -
FixitMad

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Sep 12, 2016 at 5:11:14 pm

I agree,
I have been using Sound Forge since 1998, and all the stuff Sony has made over the years since.
This can really make or break it for those of us who work in our studios as well as travel and do live gigs.
All these software companies tying our hands is really nuts.
There are times I will not use a laptop or computer for months and then will need it when I travel or have a big live gig. May or may not have internet and the LAST thing I need is to not have access or need to "plan ahead" to make sure I have software I have PURCHASED and that I can still use it....unbelievable!

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Sep 14, 2016 at 4:52:28 pm

So, finally a question seems to be answered.
Eric Dettman wrote me, that Magix Vegas 14 will allow 2 installations simultaneously.

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Francois Blawat
on Sep 14, 2016 at 4:57:16 pm

Hi László,

Is that Vegas Pro only or any product they update from the SCS line going forward? Two PC's only then?

Thanks for updating.

- - - - -
FixitMad

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Sep 14, 2016 at 5:36:10 pm

Hi

Don't know, I asked specifically about Vegas pro.

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Sep 14, 2016 at 5:08:47 pm

That's a pain, but I guess we either live with it or move on....

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Sep 14, 2016 at 5:38:41 pm

Well, I'm satisfied because 2 installs are enough for me. I have only one desktop and a notebook...

Those who need 3 or more system have sadly bad luck :(

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Sep 14, 2016 at 5:54:20 pm

I have 4-5 computers I like to have it on, just in case. I'm screwed....

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Sep 14, 2016 at 6:14:41 pm

BTW, SONY also allowed only 2 installations...

Return to posts index

Francois Blawat
on Sep 14, 2016 at 6:19:30 pm

[Aleksey Tarasov]

"BTW, SONY also allowed only 2 installations..."

I'm pretty sure that is inaccurate. They took the same EULA that Sonic Foundry had and indicated you could install the software onto as many PC's as you own as long as they were not used at the same time or in a rendering farm. Use Waybackmachine to read the EULA of both Sonic Foundry and SCS. I have a copy and I can post once I scan it to PDF.

- - - - -
FixitMad

Return to posts index

Francois Blawat
on Sep 14, 2016 at 6:29:18 pm

Well, Looking at the most current SCS version, it appears they updated it. It appears different from the previous version which I cannot access yet.

Screenshot here:

So, maybe they changed their EULA to match what MAGIX had prior to the sale?

I have to find my original printed copy I kept at home.

- - - - -
FixitMad

Return to posts index

Francois Blawat
on Sep 14, 2016 at 6:31:25 pm

Sorry,

I should have posted the entire PDF of the most current EULA from SCS.

10535_sonycreativesoftwarecorporatesoftwareeulaandprivacystatement.pdf.zip

Here it is.

- - - - -
FixitMad

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Sep 14, 2016 at 7:22:07 pm

I had several versions (like SVP 12&13) on several, mean 12 on2 13 on2. But I could SWEAR I had it on 3 at one time....Guess I was lucky!!

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Sep 15, 2016 at 3:03:28 pm

[László Kovács] "Those who need 3 or more system have sadly bad luck :("
No, if you have more than 2 system you can deactivate one of your systems and activate the 3rd one. This is also how Adobe works. Only 2 systems can be active at the same time but you can install it on as many system as you'd like.

~jr

Return to posts index

Don Cobble
on Sep 15, 2016 at 2:56:05 am

I think there are 2 things that are in question here.
1) how many computers we can install on? (maybe 2)
BUT
2) I do not want to have to continually check in with magix

[4. License verification Individual MAGIX Product licenses have to be validated periodically. This ensures that the original Software is being used and that it is being used according to the license terms and conditions. This requires an Internet connection.]

I will not upgrade to 14

Return to posts index

Francois Blawat
on Sep 15, 2016 at 2:24:38 pm

Don,

I'm glad you brought those items up. I am seriously hoping that ( Eric) MAGIX does not Renege on that they promised Vegas would not go down this route. The Questions that used to be posted on SCS website indicated that Vegas Pro would require a one-time online verification to get it registered and activate the software.

If MAGIX requires online verification periodically , I'm done with this program. I am getting tired of companies trying to restrict valid users. It has been brought up many times already, but when valid users are required to go through hoops only the criminals will have an easier time using the software. I know this was a bit off topic, but I had to voice my opinion.

- - - - -
FixitMad

Return to posts index

Francois Blawat
on Sep 15, 2016 at 2:37:17 pm

I just found the copy of the FAQ from SCS but It appears a bit shorter than it was before. I have to check to see if there is an archive of it.

But it appears for one, they indicated you could activate Vegas on 5 systems like before. That no longer appears to be true.

- - - - -
FixitMad

Return to posts index

Jorma Nippala
on Sep 15, 2016 at 3:57:22 pm

Read MAGIX_Eric D here on 09/14/2016 on MAGIX and Vegas.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-to-be-available-on-on...

Return to posts index

Francois Blawat
on Sep 16, 2016 at 1:32:27 pm

For those of you curious, and to prove I'm "not crazy". Here is the original scan from a printed page I kept from Sonic Foundry talking about how many installs you can perform. 10570_installationeula001.pdf.zip

As you can see this document says "on as many machines are you own, as long as you are not running the programs at the same time"

I am not sure when SCS changed the EULA. I'm still thinking SCS changed it to more closely match what MAGIX had before they took over.

- - - - -
FixitMad

Return to posts index

Don Cobble
on Sep 19, 2016 at 1:07:32 am

Thank You Jorma,
MAGIX_Eric D
MAGIX allows for 2 installs on 2 systems.

The difference is Sony required license maintenance after 5 installs in any one calendar year, where the MAGIX applications allows 2 at any one given time and actually has a safeguard in place. Licenses can be maintained on the user's MAGIX account. If 2 installs exist, and the user wants to install to a third PC they have to deactivate from one of the other PCs.

In short, the number of installs allowed has not changed. There is just a different safeguard in place.

The previous generation of MAGIX applications required online verification monthly, however, the current MAGIX apps do not require the user to be online after installation. The license is tied to your account and it is still verified. Online activation is required, however the machine does not need to be online after activation.

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Sep 19, 2016 at 9:55:40 am

Good news. :)
So that means we can saefly take our laptops to the field, where there's no internet connection, and we won't be surprised by a deactivation because of unsuccessful licence check.
Thanks!

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Eric Dettman
on Sep 19, 2016 at 1:55:56 pm

The current Sony EULA stipulates the license is for one user, it can be installed on 2 PCs for the same user, and cannot be used on 2 or more PCs at a time. http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/corporate/eula

"Sony grants you a limited license to use the Software on two (2) computers or mobile devices, as applicable; provided that the Software may not be used on two (2) or more devices simultaneously".

The old EULA for previous SCS apps allowed for 1 install and 1 back up

"Sony grants you a limited license to use the Software only on one (1) computer or mobile device, as applicable, and you may create one (1) back up copy of the Software".

MAGIX allows for 2 installs on 2 systems.

The difference is Sony required license maintenance after 5 installs in any one calendar year, where the MAGIX applications allows 2 at any one given time and has a safeguard in place. Licenses can be maintained on the user's MAGIX account. If 2 installs exist, and the user wants to install to a third PC they have to deactivate from one of the other PCs.

In short, the number of installs allowed has not changed. There is just a different safeguard in place.

The previous generation of MAGIX applications required online verification monthly, however, the current MAGIX apps do not require the user to be online after installation. The license is tied to your account and it is still verified. Online activation is required, however the machine does not need to be online after activation.

MAGIX see.feel.hear.create

Return to posts index

Nathan Keast
on Sep 21, 2016 at 7:38:49 am

Did you officially jump ship from Vegas then?

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Sep 22, 2016 at 1:01:09 pm

[Nathan Keast] "Did you officially jump ship from Vegas then?"
Yea, I haven't used Vegas Pro in over a year now. The last version I used for production work was Vegas Pro 12. I never did anything serious with Vegas Pro 13. I edit with Final Cut Pro X now 100%.

~jr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]