FORUMS: list search recent posts

Optimize my first dedicated Graphics Card in Vegas 13

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek Charles
Optimize my first dedicated Graphics Card in Vegas 13
on Sep 6, 2016 at 11:18:05 pm

Looking to make sure I'm utilizing this new benefit of a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M in my new Laptop.
Is Vegas auto detecting it or am I changing my editing/render settings?
I've always been told to have GPU acceleration set to off... Should I now be setting this to the NVIDIA?

Internal Graphics - Intel HD Graphics 520
Intel Core i7 6500U (2.50 GHz) 8 GB DDR4 Memory

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: Optimize my first dedicated Graphics Card in Vegas 13
on Sep 7, 2016 at 1:52:41 am

Vegas doesn't make use of NVIDIA graphics cards, AMD cards is what works best with Vegas...

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Derek Charles
on Sep 7, 2016 at 2:07:21 am

So, I'm basically not even using my NVIDIA card ?
Vegas is my main concern so I feel like I've made a big mistake in buying this. Can it easily be replaced?
Is it benefiting my PC in any other way? Programs like Lightroom or Music editing software?

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Sep 7, 2016 at 2:48:15 am

[Steve Rhoden] "Vegas doesn't make use of NVIDIA graphics cards"

I have the 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti and VP13 most certainly does make use of it, along with a group of Plugins that are GPU enabled too.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Sep 7, 2016 at 5:06:35 am

Hi,

In a laptop you can't replace the videocard. It's just built onto the PCB of that notebook.
Steve is right in a way that Ati cards do much better, but this does not mean an Nvidia won't work.
However, with Vegas you can't get the full potential of your Nvidia card, because Nvidia has intentionally weaker opencl support.

One thing was not mentioned:
Recent laptops with a dedicated video usually have a hybrid system, so there's an energy-efficient Intel video beside the dedicated high-performance Ati/Nvidia video.
You may want to make sure, Vegas can get to the Nvidia, by assigning it to a "High performance", or something like that profile. You can do this in a special control panel of the laptops driver, mine is called "Switchable graphics" - but it's an Ati (Lenovo z51-70); yours can be named differently.

To see if Vegas can actually use your GPU, check the video tab on preferences. If the GPU acceleration item shows something that mentions your Nvidia, then Vegas can use it. If it shows "Off", and you don't have an option to set it to something other, then you have to look around for what it is missing - probably the performance profile assignment.

Kind regards

Return to posts index

Derek Charles
on Sep 7, 2016 at 5:21:57 am

Yes, the GPU acceleration does have the NVDIA as an option and I have selected that. Is that the only thing I can do to boost Vegas with it is this option in Properties? How much weaker is this for me than having the Ati? Am I missing out?
I just want to make sure that overall my NVIDIA is actually helping me with web browsing and other high cpu intensive programs even if it's not up to par with Vegas -

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Sep 7, 2016 at 6:07:00 am

[Derek Charles] "Is that the only thing I can do to boost Vegas with it is this option in Properties?"

I think, yes.

[Derek Charles] "How much weaker is this for me than having the Ati? Am I missing out?"

Only an exact comparation could answer this quesion. Having Vegas on a PC, and changing only the video cards (and drivers of course) and test the performance again.
As this question is about a laptop, there's nothing you can do in this regard. However, you can disable the GPU support, and THEN you'll see how much work your Nvidia did for your Vegas :)
I think, it still helps a lot.

So, I'd just use that laptop, and next time look for something that has an Ati (if things does not change for Nvidia until then ;))

Kind regards

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Sep 7, 2016 at 5:24:56 am

Oh, I forgot this:

[Derek Chalres] "I've always been told to have GPU acceleration set to off... "

This is something like when you buy a newer car with a turbo-diesel motor, becuase a turbo-diesel can go and accelerate much faster. And when the turbo has strange sideeffects, have it dismount from the motor...

If something works weird, you can try to disable GPU support as a workaround. This was my first sad lesson to learn with Vegas 13. (https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/1012803)
I keep it on, and sitch off only if it causes problems - and report the case to MAGIX, otherwise it never will be solved.

Kind regards

Best regards

László Kovács
-not the famous-

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Sep 7, 2016 at 3:46:40 pm

Hi Derek,

In addition to, and agreement with, the previous replies, some trial and error may produce the best settings for your laptop.

To my knowledge there are three settings within Vegas referencing graphic cards....

1. Options > Preferences > Video (tab) > GPU acceleration of video processing. The settings should be 'Off' or, your graphics card if recognized.

2. Options > Preferences > Preview Device (tab) > Optimize GPU display performance. The settings are either checked or unchecked.

3. For rendering. MainConcept AVC and Sony AVC render templates are the only two which offer any advantage/options for GPU cards.

A two minute test video is usually fine to test the speed advantages of the various combinations of these settings. Often if the graphics card does not provide an improvement in render times, it will provide better playback speed.

MainConcept AVC offers 'Render using CPU only', 'Render using OpenCL if available', 'Render using CUDA if available'. In the 'System (tab)' of the template, click on the 'Check GPU' button and it will provide a report such as 'OpenCL available' or 'CUDA available'. Then the appropriate setting within the 'Video (tab)' > 'Encode mode:' can be selected for a render test. However even if the 'Check GPU' reports 'CUDA available' doesn't mean Vegas can use the CUDA from a specific card. Up to the GTX 500 series, CUDA seem to work with Vegas, since then the newer cards appear to have no advantage in decreasing render times.

Sony AVC offers 'Render using CPU only', 'Render using GPU if available', 'Intel Quick Sync Video (quality)' and 'Intel Quick Sync Video (speed)'. Like MainConcept, the Sony AVC has a 'System (tab)' with a 'Check GPU'. Your laptop CPU 6500U, if not mistaken offers 'Intel Quick Sync Video' and if that is correct, using that option in the Sony AVC render template will probably provide the best decrease in render times.

However, many report they get the best quality renders from MainConcept AVC and Sony AVC when they use 'CPU only' regardless of the graphics card they are using. So it pretty much means we can sometimes have better speed, but that may come at a quality loss. Some user can't tell the difference, or don't care, so they go for speed.

On my old desktop I run a GTX 460 card and the CUDA does help speed up render times within Vegas with that card. In my new desktop I have an AMD R9 390 and the OpenCL does make a difference in render times, but does help in preview speed.

Here is a link to a dated article, but the general information is of value: https://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/SonyVideoCards.htm

Of course once you find the best combination of settings for Vegas, you will need to confirm the other programs you commonly run are up to speed as well.

We are a few weeks away from the version 14 release of Magix Vegas Pro. This version may in fact have improvements to recognize and take advantage of your laptop graphics card.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Sep 8, 2016 at 11:32:25 am

Lets hope indeed that Vegas 14 has some improvements in this area for some users....

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]