FORUMS: list search recent posts

HARD-Split Raw Footage

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Ames
HARD-Split Raw Footage
on Aug 31, 2016 at 12:45:54 am

I let my recording software go for hours at a time sometimes, and I want to cut my footage down from 2ish hours to a 15 minute clip.
I realize the simple solution to my question is to stop and start my recording software more often, but it's easier for me to let it roll.

Is there a way for me to cut my footage without saving the split part*, so as to make the overall file smaller?

*As in, I don't want to keep the deleted part. I don't want to be able to pull the end of the clip to regain the deleted footage. (What is that called?)

Thank you.

-Thomas Ames

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
Re: HARD-Split Raw Footage
on Aug 31, 2016 at 9:17:49 am

Vegas editing, like all other NLE'S is non destructive. Any trimming you do on the timeline requires you to render out to a new file to make it 'shorter'.

My system specs: Intel i7 970, GTX570, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Thomas Ames
on Aug 31, 2016 at 1:51:35 pm

I'd like to avoid that in order to maintain quality.
Is there any other program you know of that can cut the original footage without requiring a render?

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Aug 31, 2016 at 2:05:16 pm

AviDemux, ffmpeg, Solveig Splitter.. All these tools (free and commercial) can trim your files w/o rendering. Google for Vegasaur Smart Trim, if you want to cut files directly in Vegas.

Return to posts index

Thomas Ames
on Sep 8, 2016 at 3:48:52 pm

Hey Aleksey, I've tried some of your suggestions, but I've found that each time I try to trim my file, it saves with a single audio strip instead of the three on the original file.

Do you know of any tools to retain each audio strip seperate as well as cut a large raw file?

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Sep 8, 2016 at 3:58:56 pm

which tool did you use?
what's the format of your clips?
what is a "strip"? is it a channel or separate audio stream (ie. your original file contains several different audio streams) ?

Return to posts index

Thomas Ames
on Sep 8, 2016 at 4:52:54 pm

I used AviDemux and Vegasaur Smart Trim. For both of them, the resulting video had a video strip and an audio strip. That audio strip composed of a combination of the three original audio strips.

The video is H.264 encoded mp4 and I believe the audio is also mp4? I don't fully understand how these things work.

I say "strip" as in it is a seperate audio stream. I have one for microphone, one for desktop/game, one for VoIP. I'm thinking I'm using the incorrect term, but hopefully you can understand what I mean with that explaination.

Return to posts index

Thomas Ames
on Sep 10, 2016 at 3:40:10 pm

I decided to look into FFmpeg. This is certainly the best tool to use for a job like this. I'll have to look into creating a simple GUI for my use.

Return to posts index

Dave Turnidge
on Aug 31, 2016 at 1:01:06 pm

Used to be, that you could "save as" and select "Copy media with project" and the end result was just the items included in your project. You would want to save to a different folder...

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Aug 31, 2016 at 2:17:54 pm

Yes, save as with copy media will do the trick, but "select trimmed copies of source media".
Another option would be ffmpeg. Did not test, but specifying start time (-ss) and duration (-t) with copy the stream would work I guess...
Regards

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 31, 2016 at 4:58:36 pm

I've routinely used the Vegasaur smart-trim feature with 2.7K and 4K GoPro footage. It works but one needs to know its limitations. I've used it to save archived clips after project completion but it is quite difficult to ensure that the saved clips are identical to your events on the timeline. To do so required adding frames both to the front end and tail end of an event and then using PluralEyes to get an exact match between the original event and the trimmed file. It works, but it's pretty tedious. I shared this procedure on the Vegas Pro forum but at the moment the search function isn't working so I can't provide a link. All in all, I wouldn't recommend this approach--that is, doing trimming after project completion.

It's best use is right at the beginning as part of your basic cuts editing process. Just do cuts editing and add frames (I use 60) to both the front and tail. Then export and bring the trimmed clips back onto the timeline. One other thing to be aware of is that your metadata will be lost with the trimmed files.

wwaag

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]