Vegas Pro 13 crashes to blue screen during rendering to Sony XAVC-L format

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lech Biegalski
Vegas Pro 13 crashes to blue screen during rendering to Sony XAVC-L format
on Aug 29, 2016 at 7:27:54 am

I alternatively get two error messages when this happens:
CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT - or - WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

I render original MP4 (H.264) footage from GoPro HERO 4 Black mixed with MXF (XAVC-L) footage from the Sony PXW-Z150 camorder. This is why I want to render to XAVC-L, Rendering starts OK on XAVC-L clips (no conversion), then it slows down as it reaches the MP4 clips, goes on for a while, then the preview screen freezes and a few seconds later the screen turns blue and one of the two above messages appear.

I had the computer at Canada Computers, where it was custom built 5 years ago, specifically to handle editing and rendering videos. They replaced my old GPU with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti, but the computer still keeps crashing during this process. It renders fine to XAVC-I and XAVC-S, as well as to most other native Vegas Pro formats, but not to XAVC-L. Monitors show that, during the rendering, the GPU is running at about 30 - 40% usage, while the CPU runs at 92 - 99% usage, regardless of the GPU acceleration setting in Vegas - Options -Preferences - Video tab. I fresh installed Windows 10 Pro 64-bit and updated all the drivers, but it did not help.
Is anyone familiar with this particular error? Any help resolving it will be greatly appreciated.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU x980 @ 3.33GHz (12 CPUs)
RAM - over 12GB
DirectX v.12
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Total memory: 8156MB
Asus Rampage III Extreme socket 1366 Intel X58 + ICH10RChipset CrossfireX
etc., etc.

Return to posts index

Lech Biegalski
Re: Vegas Pro 13 crashes to blue screen during rendering to Sony XAVC-L format
on Sep 2, 2016 at 2:57:04 am

Update 1:

We have just upgraded to MSI Radeon RX 480 Video Card, following reports that Sony Vegas works better with AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing cards (OpenCL) than with NVIDIA (Cuda) cards. No improvement, the rendering of GoPro MP4 clips to Sony XAVC-L MXF format still crashes the computer to the blue screen and the CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT error message.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Sep 2, 2016 at 3:53:39 am

Hi,
According to my experience, BSOD ( blue screen) is always related to hardware error or bad written kernel mode drivers.
Once I had the WHEA... error with a notebook, then the cause was the dying south-bridge chip.
Not sure about windows 10...
Can you downgrade to windows 7 temporarily?
Regards

Return to posts index

Lech Biegalski
on Sep 2, 2016 at 6:11:33 pm

Thank you for your reply. We will have this checked. Please tell me why you think that Windows 7 is better for Sony Vegas. How about Windows 8?

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Sep 2, 2016 at 11:36:09 pm

[Lech Biegalski] "Please tell me why you think that Windows 7 is better for Sony Vegas. How about Windows 8?"

As far as Vegas as concerned, Windows 8 or Windows 10 offer no compelling to upgrade from Windows 7, other than being newer. I had all sorts of driver compatibility and stability issues. Given the age of your system, I would stay on Windows 7.

I had nothing but headaches upgrading to Windows 10 and I had numerous driver compatibility issues with my NVidia 570 as well as RAID controller. My raid had a disc transfer rate of 1 mbps (no kidding!) and when I updated the driver, my entire disk subsystem became invisible to Windows 10. Luckily I was in the 30 day trial period, and successfully rolled back. My other editing system got trashed in the rollback process and had to be rebuilt from the ground up. The lesson I learned is that Windows 10 is not so supportive of older hardware as it claims to be, and that if I do want to get onto Windows 10 in the future, it will be part of a new system build.

In terms of your BSOD, does it occur with GPU acceleration off under video preferences and in the render template? BSOD's are very serious errors. I used to get them a lot under Windows XP, less under Vista and none under Windows 7.

A quick Google search reveals The “whea uncorrectable error” message that you get on Windows 10, Windows 8.1 on a blue screen can be caused by two things. Either you have a hardware failure or you have problems with your Windows 8.1, Windows 10 drivers that are probably not compatible with your Windows 8.1, Windows 10 operating system."

Other posts suggest overclocking of the CPU is occurring, in which case, you should check and disable it in BIOS if it is enabled.

My system specs: Intel i7 970, GTX570, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Lech Biegalski
on Sep 3, 2016 at 2:37:40 am

Nigel: - Thank you for the info. It looks like the guys at Canada Computers are going in the following direction:

Since the crashes still occurred after installing the MSI RX-480 video card, they brought their own motherboard and CPU from home, connected it to my computer (with my new video card) and tested it last night. It rendered slowly but went on for considerable time without crashing. We don't know whether this would be the solution, as the store closed at 8 and we had to leave before the rendering ended. We will check it tomorrow and continue testing. If it renders consistently, we will put an new CPU and motherboard in. Even though I would like to avoid the extra cost, I have to upgrade the computer, or else I will not be able to render GoPro footage (MP4) mixed with the footage from the Sony PXW-Z150 (XAVC-L) at all - and this is my ultimate goal for which I spent money on the cameras.

The remaining question is this: Assuming that the rendering with the new video card, CPU and motherboard works consistently, would you still recommend to roll back to Windows 7? Do you think that the software issues with Windows 10 will be addressed by Microsoft in future updates?

Thanks, again.

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Sep 3, 2016 at 6:44:31 am

Hi,
I suggested the rollback, because:
-windows 7 is a mature and stable system, in opposite the windows 10 which is new, and may have childhood illnesses.
-a rollback also means:
-a fresh install of windows 7
-different set of drivers

With all the above, if your problem still exists after you go back to win 7, it is 99% hardware problem.
Otherwise if windows 10 works for you, and you like it, keep it.

Kind regards

Return to posts index

Lech Biegalski
on Sep 15, 2016 at 10:51:03 am

Thank you all for sharing your expertise with me. The problem is now solved. It was, indeed, a hardware issue. After replacing one i7 CPU with a more current i7CPU, which also required a replacement of the motherboard and the BIOS, and after replacing my older video card with the AMD (MSI) Radeon™ RX 480 Graphics Card, my computer renders all formats without problems and with an impressive speed. The upgrade cost me around $1500 but it was well worth the money. Yes, I am still using the same software (Sony Vegas Pro 13) that had been failing before the hardware upgrade.

The current configuration is:

- Windows 10 pro 64-bit
- Motherboard: ASUS (All Series)
- BIOS: BIOS date: 4/26/16, ver. 05.0000B
- Processor: Inter(R) Core(TM) i7-6800K CPU @ 3.40GHz (12 CPUs)
- Memory: 16GB RAM
- DirectX version: 12
- Video Card: Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics Card with 8GB memory

(I am just quoting what I see with the dxdiag function. My technical knowledge about computers is not sufficient to comment on the hardware.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]