FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pro 13 - rendering gets corrupted by video tasks on the same PC

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Holt
Pro 13 - rendering gets corrupted by video tasks on the same PC
on Aug 26, 2016 at 2:35:21 pm

I wrote about this some time ago, calling it "rendering fails after some hours".

This one is obscure to reproduce but I have done it many times!

It is pretty well 100% repeatable if I access the PC over the LAN (over a VPN actually) using Remote Desktop (RDP). I don't know what RDP is doing but it creates some sort of virtual screen on the remote machine (the one running Vegas) which is then copied over the LAN to the machine you are sitting in front of. This corrupts Vegas. Specifically what it does is that if you have a chain of FX (e.g. contrast + rotation + lens correction) it causes the chain to be skipped every few frames. The result is e.g. this

https://vimeo.com/177027490

where a lens correction FX is getting intermittently skipped.

Now, you might ask why the he*ll I want to access Vegas over RDP. The UI, over RDP, is too slow to use the program properly. I do this to see if rendering has finished (when I am at work) so I can upload the file to Vimeo, etc.

I am sure Magix won't be interested in this RDP interaction (what Steve Jobs called an "edge case" ;)) but I have since managed to do it purely locally. This is hard to reproduce but I think running WMP or VLC to play some video does it. Basically it means I don't watch any videos while rendering.

i7-970, 24GB RAM, 3GHz, 1TB HD (500GB free), GTX750 Kalm 2GB video.

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
Re: Pro 13 - rendering gets corrupted by video tasks on the same PC
on Aug 26, 2016 at 11:08:21 pm

Has he tried Team Viewer?

My system specs: Intel i7 970, GTX570, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Peter Holt
on Aug 31, 2016 at 2:15:57 pm

I don't think that is the issue, because I can reproduce it without using RDP.

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Sep 2, 2016 at 5:18:21 am

Hi,
If I remember correctly, running over RDP, the program (be it vegas or anything else) can't use directx.
This is why you can't play a game over rdp.
I think, in your case, it's about some GPU functions which are unaccessible, or less accessible when
-you are connected via RDP
-you are whatching video (as the player probably locks some resources on GPU)

What if you do the render without GPU? In this case the render should not suffer from connected via RDP.
I can't test it right now, but what if you start Vegas through RDP? Does it report any available GPU then?

Regards

Return to posts index

Peter Holt
on Sep 2, 2016 at 6:54:22 am

Yes your reply makes complete sense. It is something to do with RDP, or VLC on the same machine, grabbing some video resources.

Pro 13 does not even start over RDP. It says "unable to start". MSP 11 and 12 do fine and run fine, however.

I have GPU acceleration globally disabled under Settings, and I render with "CPU only" because Pro 13 crashes if I enable any of the GPU modes. Again, MSP11 and 12 worked OK out of the box although I never saw any evidence (in terms of rendering speeds) that they used the GPU.

It's not a big deal. One just has to remember to not click on an mp4 etc while rendering :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]