FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pro 13 - curious bug on rewriting a rendered file of same name

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Holt
Pro 13 - curious bug on rewriting a rendered file of same name
on Aug 26, 2016 at 2:26:07 pm

This is a curious one. This is a piece of the directory I use for videos, input and output files, sorted in date/time order, most recent at the bottom. The bottom one was indeed rendered late last night.

http://peter-ftp.co.uk/screenshots/2016-08-26_152133.jpg

I rendered the shaded file on 8/8/2016 so the above stamp is about right for that render.

This morning I re-rendered it, overwriting with a file of the same name. Vegas asked for a confirmation of the existing file.

But look at the above date. It is not today's. The time looks about right but the date is yesterday's.

What this look like is that Vegas sometimes does what most accounting software does intentionally: pick up the system (computer) date when it is started and not change it afterwards as it rolls over at midnight. Accounting people like that because they can spend e.g. several days entering transactions which all apply to a given (single) day. Also accounting software allows you to manually set the program date to (within limits) anything you specify. But I doubt Vegas is doing this intentionally. I reckon it happens if you overwrite a file of the same name.

Win7-64, Pro 13, latest version. This issue is 100% repeatable.

The other thing I noticed is that a "rewrite" of the output file doesn't change its size as displayed in Windows Explorer. So if e.g. you are trying to get a 5.2GB file just below 5GB (for Vimeo upload) by reducing the bit rate a bit, you don't see the change unless you delete the file and then render it. I don't know how Pro 13 achieves this... I know (from old DOS programming days) that you can rewrite an existing file and truncate it. And I am not confusing 1000 megabytes with a gigabyte, etc :)

Return to posts index

László Kovács
Re: Pro 13 - curious bug on rewriting a rendered file of same name
on Aug 29, 2016 at 2:27:34 pm

I tried, and I don't seem to have this bug.

Windows 7 x64 Home premium / Vegas pro13 build (453)

Regards

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 29, 2016 at 10:27:31 pm

Open file explorer and see exactly which date you are using. It sounds like you're using "Date Created". If that's the case, the date of the original file creation will remain. For the latest, you want "Date Modified". In fact, you can add them both just to see if that's the problem.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Peter Holt
on Aug 31, 2016 at 2:14:57 pm

If that's the reason, it's IMHO not right, because the file has not been modified. It has been re-written. The original file should be deleted by the program and a fresh one opened. Also, whatever the rationale behind this, the new size should be represented correctly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]