FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking at cam replacement(s)

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Lillis
Looking at cam replacement(s)
on Aug 22, 2016 at 5:11:40 pm

Hello,

I'm looking to replace some field cams, and was wondering what some of you were using.

1st, I'm small town, small budget (yeah yeah I know typical blah blah) yet as I'm now semi-retired, it's pretty important that those factors show up.

2nd, Considering Canon xa 25's (2) or 20's. SDI out may not really be all that important in my case. And, not sure if the 30 series lost some capability that the 20 series had.

I did like the visuals that I saw from one of the comparable Panasonic units (can't remember the model number), and I'm not really interested in chasing any 4k work in this retirement community that's living on the mentality of, if it's free it's for me. ;)

Thanks for your experienced input on this.

Regards,
JL

Hp z400 Win 7 pro, 24 gig ram, 14T work/storage,
Nvideo GForce GT740 4 gig
** Thinking the GT740 should be changed out.

If it moves . . . Shoot it!

Return to posts index

Jim Lillis
Re: Looking at cam replacement(s)
on Aug 22, 2016 at 5:13:20 pm

Opps,

Forgot to ad in the Sony Vegas Pro editing.

If it moves . . . Shoot it!

Return to posts index

Jeff Lee
on Aug 22, 2016 at 5:29:53 pm

You might want to look at DVXuser.com, lots of gear heads there.

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Aug 22, 2016 at 8:32:38 pm

Hello,

You may look at JVC GY-HM600.
I'm currently using this cam, and honestly, I'm very pleased with it.
Footage from it works great in Vegas.

It does have SDI, in case you need it :)

Kind regards

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Aug 23, 2016 at 3:47:06 pm

I LOVE the Canon G30's!!! (which are basically the XA20 & XA25 without the XLR and also the SDI on the XA25). I have three of them.
The update from the G30-G40 is only sensor based, so I didn't make the jump.

I use them for run and gun, IMAG, plays, weddings, TV spots, and I have gotten great response from customers.

I use the HDMI to send to my ATEM switcher for live events, and when I need a long run use an Atomos Connect to send over SDI. I have 6 custom made PS3 controlled pan/tilt heads that also control the cameras, so the LANC connection is very important to me.

I would not hesitate to use the XA20 or XA25 at all. I have a glidecam operator who I use sometimes that has the XA25 and it looks great.

Hope that helps!

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

Peter Holt
on Sep 3, 2016 at 3:04:16 pm

I have just bought the Canon G40, having previously used the G10.

This video may be of interest

The quality is great, the stabilisation is awesome, everything works really well, and it does 1080P 50FPS 28mbits/sec in AVC (a.k.a. H264) which is as good as one can practically use and still host it online somewhere. In fact one struggles hosting that; Vimeo downsamples to 5mbits/sec. Only the most modern fast PC can play the full-bitrate video smoothly so this will do me for a number of years I am sure.

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Sep 3, 2016 at 4:50:21 pm

Here is a link to a stage based show that was shot with all G10's, G30's and an XA25

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

Antonio Salva
on Sep 18, 2016 at 9:43:35 am

Scott, could
you tell me more about those custom panheads you use with the PS3 Controllers? sounds very interesting. How far is the range? can you also Zoom in out?

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Sep 18, 2016 at 12:31:33 pm

They are based on the Bescor MP1 PT head. Used Aruduinos with USB shields on one end and gutted the PT head and installed an Aruduino with a motor shield. Analog sticks control pressure sensitive pan and tilt as well as zoom (left is pan/tilt, right stick is zoom, and when depressed auto focus on and off). Other buttons control on-screen display, Focus in and out and record as well as the PT being controlled either first person or flight similator mode (up and down reversed).
Basic camera controls above are good on most Sony and Canon cameras with a LANC remote port.

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

Antonio Salva
on Sep 18, 2016 at 4:28:21 pm

Wow-did you make these yourself? Was there a DIY template you used? What is the range of the controller or is it hardwired? Im pretty impressed with this, is there anything comercially available like this? Thanxfor the quick reply-Tony

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Sep 20, 2016 at 2:52:23 pm

It has been a process over about 5 years using a myriad of online stuff to developing my own controllers.
I also have a nephew (who is about to get his degree in robotics) whom I paid to write and test the code for the controllers.
It is hardwired (I don't trust wireless in mission critical IMAG and live gigs). It runs on 4 wires and I use CAT6 cables and ethercon RJ45 connectors on both ends, but they accept regular RJ45 connections in case I have an issue.

I have seen a few commercially available options (one recent as this week) but they start at like $900 a camera, which when I use up to 5 live, that is way too much to invest.

Out of town working, but I can send some pics if you are interested.

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

Brad Leigh
on Sep 3, 2016 at 3:20:23 pm

I have the same question. Anyone here using the Sony PXW-X70 or the HXR-NX100? Running HD 1080?
I like the idea of the larger sensor and they are in the price range of some of the camera's listed above.
I was wondering how the codec's they used work with Vegas?
Thanks
Brad

i7 2600 3.4 Ghz 16 Gig Ram , Win 7 Pro, AMD R280, Vegas Pro 12

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Sep 4, 2016 at 2:14:08 pm

Hi,
I can tell you about the x70.
I don't have this camera, but had to work with it few times when helping a colleague here.
To my experience X70 is a very good secondary camera, with good low light performance.
However, as a primary camera I would not take it.
On this cam there's only one ring, and you have to choose, what it controls.
It is impossible to do a smooth slow zoom, the even slowest zoom speed is too fast.
When I switch to zoom with the ring, and try to zoom slow, the zoom is moving in clearly visible steps.
I know, my friend uses Vegas and Premier, I never heard him complaining, so I assume that the footage coming from this camera works well...

I'd better look for NX100, there you will have 3 rings for focus, zoom and iris.
I'd expect better operability from the NX100.
However, it doesn't record 4K - based on the specifications I found now...

Kind regards

Return to posts index

Brad Leigh
on Sep 4, 2016 at 8:24:17 pm

Laszlo
Thank you that is hekpful
Brad

i7 2600 3.4 Ghz 16 Gig Ram , Win 7 Pro, AMD R280, Vegas Pro 12

Return to posts index

Brad Leigh