mp4's that come from an iphone or ipad - cannot play them properly in vp13

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amanda Duffield
mp4's that come from an iphone or ipad - cannot play them properly in vp13
on Aug 22, 2016 at 7:23:36 am
Last Edited By Amanda Duffield on Aug 22, 2016 at 7:36:53 am

Hi,
I am downloading mp4 footage which (I presume) has been videod on an ipad or iphone . I download it to my hard drive and then drop it into vegas.

The sounds is fine but the picture jumps all around the place. As in, it's out of sync. I can't caption it. This happens every time a teacher makes their own footage and doesn't use our 'normal' cameras. It's totally throwing out my time frames. this is a 5 mintue video and I can't figure out how to make it play properly.

It's like it's in a format vegas can't read. Do I just rerender it?

It just says that it's mp4, 1920 x 1080, 332 mb.

I don't understand enough about videos to know what to do but it's very frustrating, do I need other software?

EDITED: I'm going to put something forward to my bosses re purchasing new software . This happens over and over again and I don't understand how to fix it. So I am in Australia. teachers make footage of how to administer tests like English etc and they make a video on their smartphone or iphone (although i'm sure it's the apple products I'm having trouble with) and they upload to me. i download onto a PC. i have vegas pro 13 and architect (whatever the latest is in Pro).

Please can I have a way to drop the video into vegas without problems? Or suggest another software.
thank you.

thanks.

Return to posts index

László Kovács
Re: mp4's that come from an iphone or ipad - cannot play them properly in vp13
on Aug 22, 2016 at 8:02:38 am

Hi,
Can you play this file with vlc or potplayer?
Did you try to turn off GPU acceleration in Vegas?

Regards

Return to posts index

Amanda Duffield
on Aug 22, 2016 at 8:47:47 am

Thanks, I'll try that when back at work tomorrow.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Aug 22, 2016 at 9:57:08 am

There is not much you can do in Vegas or any other software for that matter with Video footage captured
with cheap, overly compressed and frame altering devices / methods.
You can however try the method recommended to you above first and let us know.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 22, 2016 at 1:35:21 pm

[Amanda Duffield] "do I need other software? ...(although i'm sure it's the apple products I'm having trouble with)"
This is really very simple... get a Mac. Seriously, all you need to do is get a Mac with iMovie or Final Cut Pro X and their videos will play back beautifully. If you are working with iPhone videos that's what I would do (...actually that's what I did. I use a Mac now and don't have any of these problems anymore). If you are using Apple products (iPad, iPhone) it's best to edit on Apple hardware and software.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Aug 22, 2016 at 2:15:48 pm

Another alternative, process the mp4 through Handbrake before bringing them into Vegas or Movie Studio. Handbrake is a free download and free program. That should solve the problem and you can stay on the platform you are accustom to.

Best Regards.....George

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 22, 2016 at 2:49:47 pm

The problem with iPhone footage is that, out of the box, it records using variable frame rates. Since Vegas expects constant frame rate footage, it just doesn't work. There are apps available which solve this problem, including Filmic Pro, which comes highly recommended. However, for footage already captured, the use of Handbrake suggested by George is probably your best bet if you want to use Vegas. Or, you can abandon your PC altogether and stay with Apple products as JR suggested.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Aug 23, 2016 at 5:04:31 am

Wayne, when you mentioned "Or, you can abandon your PC altogether and stay with Apple products as JR suggested"
That had me cracking up man, lol...lol...lol.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Aug 23, 2016 at 6:55:41 am

I have no issues with iPhone and iPad Air2 stuff going straight into Vegas13. Could this be that I have iTunes and QT installed? Maybe?

If the variable framerate is the issue, maybe iT and QT have already sorted this out for me.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]