FORUMS: list search recent posts

System for Editing

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Whitaker
System for Editing
on Aug 14, 2016 at 12:04:16 am

I know this topic has been discussed to the Nth degree, but I recently read that HP has an excellent desktop that could be good for video editing.

Can anyone back that up?

And how would it compare to the system on the Video Guys website that John Rofrano recommended?

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: System for Editing
on Aug 14, 2016 at 1:10:59 pm

[Ron Whitaker] "I know this topic has been discussed to the Nth degree, but I recently read that HP has an excellent desktop that could be good for video editing.

Can anyone back that up?"
HP has some excellent video editing systems. They have the HP Z Series Workstations. I have said this before. If someone told me that I had to use a PC and I couldn't build one myself I would buy an HP Z Workstation. When I was at NAB one year I got a chance to stop by the HP booth and stick my head on one that was open and see the construction inside and it is very well built and they are purposefully build for video editing, graphic designers, and CAD.

Which one should you get? The most powerful one you can afford of course! (Z840 if you can afford it)

They are not cheap because there are built to a higher standard with higher quality parts. Be prepared to spend money. You can't compare an HP Workstation class machine to their consumer grade desktops so don't expect to pay the same even though the specs look the same. They do last a lot longer and withstand higher usage though.
[Ron Whitaker] "And how would it compare to the system on the Video Guys website that John Rofrano recommended?"
Well... you are comparing a workstation class machine to a consumer class machine. It's like comparing a Cadillac to a Volkswagen. Both will get you to work every day but if you are traveling cross country you might me more comfortable in the Cadillac. What VideoGuys recommends is consumer class components. (e.g., Intel Core i7 vs Intel Xeon, Single CPU vs Dual CPU, standard RAM vs ECC RAM, gamer graphics cards vs workstation graphics cards, etc.) It's suggested for people who don't want to spend a lot of money but still get a lot of value and don't mind tinkering a bit to get it all working.

You have to ask yourself if you are willing to pay for a workstation class machine. They are very robust and you can leave them rendering for hours and hours and they will stay cool and keep going and last a long time. That's not to say that you can't build a consumer class machine that can do this as well, it's just that parts like the server class Xeon processor and designed run 24/7 for years without being turned off. ECC memory corrects parity errors itself instead of causing BSODs. Workstation class graphics cards have more stable and well tested drivers and are tuned for workstation workloads (not games). The HP Z Series is a purposefully built system. You won't be sorry you bought one.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Ron Whitaker
on Aug 14, 2016 at 2:20:08 pm

Great advice.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Ralph Hajik
on Aug 16, 2016 at 9:00:56 pm

Hi Ron

I also have the ProArt 246Q and I love it. This is a great monitor by ASUS.

Happy Travels
Ralph Hajik
http://www.RJTravelMedia.com

Return to posts index

Ralph Hajik
on Aug 16, 2016 at 9:16:18 pm

Hi Ron

A few years ago John Rofrano had convinced me into building my own computer. I was tired of buying a computer from the well known brands out there, spending tons of money and not getting the quality I paid for. So, I did my research and with the help from John and DIY sites like Video Guys, I had plunged into building my own computer. I am happy to say I built 2 computers since then and they both work fine for editing. I really didn't have to much time on my hands, but I made the time everyday and now I can say I have built my own computers and proud of it.

Good Luck Ron!

Happy Travels
Ralph Hajik
http://www.RJTravelMedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]