FORUMS: list search recent posts

Composite Envelope is Not Affecting Track

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Freeman
Composite Envelope is Not Affecting Track
on Aug 7, 2016 at 3:06:41 am

I have recently began having an issue when attempting to edit a fad from video track 1 to video track 2. I am using ver 13, Build 453 which I believe is latest build.

I am doing a 2 camera edit using video from a Sony PXW-Z150 and a Sony a7Rii. Both are set to record to .MTS files with AVCHD 1080/60i FX format. I put a Composite envelope on video track 1 and change to level to zero at point where I want to switch to Cam 2. I am finding this has no effect and it continues to display track 1.

I am wondering if this is a bug in the most recent build or is it related to the type of source file for the video? This is an example of my time line which this is happening.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Composite Envelope is Not Affecting Track
on Aug 7, 2016 at 3:43:54 am

Need to get some of the terminology agreed.

In your workspace you have Tracks. Here, you have them numbered 1 - 5. On those TRACKS you place MEDIA which are now called EVENTS. OK, I can see that you have an Event on Track 1 and an Event on Track 5. Your Cursor is beyond your Event on Track 5. Unless I haven't understood you, that's what I would expect, as you haven't got anything to there to Preview?

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

John Freeman
on Aug 7, 2016 at 4:07:20 am

Track 5 is an audio track. I am not concerned about it. Ignore Track 5. The issue I am having is in regard to tracks 1 and 3, the two video tracks. The blue line which is the Composite Level Envelope on track 1, just before where the cursor is located at 00:00:19:.00 should have taken the video level from 100% to 0% resulting in track 3 becoming the visible track. The problem is, the video on track 1 is still visible at the cursor location. The Composite Level Envelope is not working. I have used this method for years to switch between video track. Now suddenly it isn't working.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Aug 7, 2016 at 5:27:19 am

Ah! My apologies. Your Track 3 Event, the cursor s beyond it. You won't see it in Preview.

* Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Aug 7, 2016 at 5:30:49 am

Actually Track 3 is Greyed-out? Why?

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Aug 7, 2016 at 5:46:30 am

It would appear you've been able to SOLO T1 and T2 - although this is NOT shown by the SOLO Icon as being activated, it's not "lit". If that is the case then, it is very odd indeed.

I've just setup the same here and I can't repro this result. I'm getting T3 to show fine.

Weird . . .

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Aug 7, 2016 at 5:49:39 am

My suggestion is uncheck GPU. If that fails, then do a Factory reset of VP13 - you'll loose your settings too .

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 7, 2016 at 5:56:43 am

Perhaps the event has inadvertently been muted in switches.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Aug 7, 2016 at 6:08:45 am
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on Aug 7, 2016 at 6:11:40 am

[Wayne Waag] "Perhaps the event has inadvertently been muted in switches."
Sure, then it should show a LIT Muted Icon:

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 7, 2016 at 4:16:33 pm

@Graham

Sure, then it should show a LIT Muted Icon:

No. What you show is a muted track. If you simply mute the event using "mute" in switches, only the event will turn a dark gray. I've tried applying a composite envelope and it works here as well.

From the OP's original screen grab it would appear that some type of Track FX has been applied. Note the green Track FX icon and the little keyframe indicator. Perhaps something has been inadvertently applied.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Aug 7, 2016 at 5:29:43 pm

I Used the Switches in the Track Header. So let's see if get a response on Swithces for Events.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

John Freeman
on Aug 7, 2016 at 2:12:44 pm

Reason Tr 3 is gray is because I have it locked to maintain sync with rest of track. This problem persists regardless of whether the tracks are locked or not.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Aug 7, 2016 at 2:50:52 pm

Thanks John. No idea.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Doug Jackson
on Aug 7, 2016 at 10:12:58 pm
Last Edited By Doug Jackson on Aug 7, 2016 at 10:19:50 pm

Hi John,

What happens if you Solo Track 3? (Click the "!" in the tracker header)
If you don't see that event in the preview window when your cursor is somewhere in that event then something is wrong.
Following up on Wayne and Graham's thoughts, let's look closer at the video event on Track 3. Click on the Video Event on Track 3. Right Click -> Switches. Is 'Mute' checked?

If so, it will not show. When I mute an event, it turns gray like your picture.

There are many different ways to achieve the same results and all of us have our own workflow techniques, but based on your initial description, may I suggest a change in your workflow?
Instead of messing with Composite envelopes to cut between the two Video tracks, why not split/cut the upper video event to reveal the lower? Cutting events are non-destructive to the media file.
If I have 2 cameras and I want to cut between them, I go to the frame I want to make the change. Select the top Video event (you should see it in the preview), hit the 'S' key to split the event. Vegas automatically selects the event to the right of the split. Then I 'Mute' the rest of the event on that track. Notice I have the Event 'Mute' function mapped to the 'Alt+M' hotkey in my picture above?
Then I scrub through the video (the lower video event is now showing in the preview) and when I get to the frame where I want to switch back to the top-level video event, I hit the 'S' key again to split the event, "ALT+M" will 'un-Mute' the muted event. Now the top video track event is showing again.
And if instead of a hard cut, you want to do a fade - simply apply grab the small triangle in the top left of the event and drag to the right to make a fade in.

Happy editing.

Regards,
--Doug

Dell Precision T5500
2x Intel Xeon DP E5620 @ 2400MHz; Memory: 22528MB; Chipset:Intel 5520;
Video Card : AMD R9 290x
HDD: Crucial_SSD1 (256GB);WD(1000GB);WD(2000GB)

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 7, 2016 at 11:17:09 pm

Even easier--use the multicamera editing feature in Vegas.

wwaag

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]