FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vegas Pro 13 Freezes on Single Clip

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zachary Cowan
Vegas Pro 13 Freezes on Single Clip
on Aug 6, 2016 at 3:00:49 pm

Hi all,
First I want to say that I bought Vegas Pro yesterday, so I fully acknowledge that I know very little about how to use it.

I'm running into a problem with a specific clip freezing the program. When I import the clip, it plays about 2.5 minutes of the full 5, and then the preview gets stuck at the exact same point every time. The timer keeps counting up, but when I try to click any button or interact with it in any way, it reads Not Responding. Eventually the program recovers, but it never plays the last half of the clip. I've tried various methods of importing, different project settings, and starting a new project with that clip as the only media - not that the project I need it for is large by any means - and all the same issue. The kicker is that I can use other footage from the same camera (this is drone footage recorded on a Yuneec Typhoon H) without incident, and I can play back and edit the clip in DaVinci Resolve and Windows Media Player just fine.

Is there a setting I'm missing? I really don't want to throw out the clip; it contains the bulk of my content and I can't reshoot it. The file is an mp4 with the SonyAVC codec.

Many thanks in advance,

Zach Cowan

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Vegas Pro 13 Freezes on Single Clip
on Aug 6, 2016 at 4:42:09 pm

Confirm you've matched your Project Settings to that Media.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Zachary Cowan
on Aug 6, 2016 at 5:23:28 pm

I have; I select that option when I drop the clip in. As I said, I can use other clips from that same shoot without any problems, and even the first half works perfectly. I've gone into the properties of the clip and compared them to others, they are exactly the same.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Aug 6, 2016 at 5:28:23 pm

Well, something is choking Vegas. If on turn OFF GPU acceleration.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Zachary Cowan
on Aug 6, 2016 at 5:47:44 pm

Under the Video preferences? I've shut that off, no change... The file isn't particularly large either - less than 1Gb - and I've worked with larger clips from the same source. I found a temporary workaround by just passing the clip through Movie Maker, though I'm afraid that I might have lost clarity in the process.

Also, I noticed that while running through the clip and watching my task manager, the CPU usage is around 10% for the half that works. When it hits the sticking point, the usage jumps up to around 80%. Not sure if that helps diagnose the problem.

Thanks for helping me work through this!

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Aug 7, 2016 at 9:06:36 pm

Hi Zachary,

I would use Resolve to make an intermediate file rather than Movie Maker. Render to something like CineForm (avi) which will be considerably larger file than the source, but will maintain most of your resolution. Or, use Handbrake, which may be faster. If it's just this one source file, I would go with the program I was familiar with, which in your case sounds like Resolve.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]