FORUMS: list search recent posts

soft ware or camera

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael O'Connor
soft ware or camera
on Aug 4, 2016 at 2:51:19 pm

Is it the software or the camera that will determine if your project shows in wide screen or as a "square box" on flat screen tv's? Filming with panasocic AG DVC 80p editing with sony 7. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: soft ware or camera
on Aug 4, 2016 at 5:35:14 pm

That's some old kit. OK your Pannie can record in 16x9, so that's widescreen. It is miniDV so that's tape and scratchy my memory cell, you need to wrangle that too for 16x9. Now, VP7... again my brain cell is struggling with this.

So, in essence, a camera that can record in 16x9 can be edited in Vegas; keep its ratio and then output to a format that itself is 16x9. But then you'd need to confirm that the means to screen is 16x9.

So, to answer your question, a camera should do what you want if it is in specs; VP will do it to. But then the way you're going to view it needs to be conformed to 16x9.

I should have asked - why? Why are you this far into editing with old kit needing to do this? Are you selling this form an older user?

Intriguing. . . .

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Michael O'Connor
on Aug 4, 2016 at 6:37:40 pm

It has been several...or so....years since I was shooting videos and editing. Did some corporate stuff for trade shows etc..Recently I have been asked to do a couple of projects but don't have the knowledge about the latest formats to know if can still use what I have or if I need to look for a reasonably priced replacement. I don't know that I would need to upgrade Vegas since the projects would be fairly basic, and I also have the latest version of Movie Studio Platinum, but with most people using wide screen monitors the way I was doing projects would come out as a square in the middle of the wide screen...probably not the best look. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks so much for your time.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 4, 2016 at 10:57:05 pm

[Michael O'Connor] "Recently I have been asked to do a couple of projects but don't have the knowledge about the latest formats to know if can still use what I have or if I need to look for a reasonably priced replacement."
I guess the question is: What does the customer expect? Are they expecting you to deliver HD? If so, DV isn't going to cut it. What is your final delivery format for the project?
[Michael O'Connor] "I don't know that I would need to upgrade Vegas since the projects would be fairly basic"
That depends on if you have to upgrade to a new camera and if an old version 7 of Vegas Pro can ingest the video from a new camera. Vegas 7 can handle DV, HDV, AVCHD and XDCAM. The problem might be that newer cameras produce AVCHD that Vegas 7 can't handle. AVC/H.264 has been a difficult format in general and has evolved over the years so if your software isn't being updated along with the evolution, it might not work.

I'm guessing that in 2016 your client would expect something better quality than DV Widescreen even if it was for the web. HD 720p is kind of the bottom of the web formats these days.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Michael O'Connor
on Aug 5, 2016 at 3:41:20 pm

Thanks for all your help you guys. I appreciate the input and that you both were willing to help out. I need to make some decisions and now I have the information I need to do just that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]