FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas Pro 13 Extremely Long Rendering Times

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian Austin
Sony Vegas Pro 13 Extremely Long Rendering Times
on Aug 3, 2016 at 4:23:55 am

I have been using Sony Vegas Pro 13 for a couple months now, and have dealt with long render times, but I've just ignored it up until now.

Computer Specs:

CPU: i7-4790k
GPU: MSI GTX970
RAM: 16GB
SSD (Where files are being saved/prerendered): Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Render Settings:

1080p 60fps

Using MainConcept AVC/AAC (Internet HD 1080p)

Have tried using Sony AVC/MVC and Video for Windows

The files are being recorded in 1080p 60fps as well.

A 10 minute raw video took 1hr 30 minutes to render.

I have tried turning gpu acceleration off, I have tried disabling resample, and I have tried reinstalling SVP 13.

Please help ASAP.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: Sony Vegas Pro 13 Extremely Long Rendering Times
on Aug 3, 2016 at 5:31:28 am

You've provided info about your PC and render settings, but nothing about your source footage and project settings. Also what type of FX are you applying? I often record at 1080 60P using a Sony Handycam and renders, even with a number of FX such as levels, color-match and unsharp are close to .8 real-time with an old i7 3770K CPU and a weak Nvidia 650 video card. You need to provide detailed information.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Julian Austin
on Aug 3, 2016 at 5:35:17 am

Sorry new at this. I am not adding any effects and it is my monitor being recorded using OBS (Open Broadcast Software). It is recorded in 1080p 60fps x264. A 10 minute recording of this takes ~1hr 30 min to render in vegas

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 3, 2016 at 2:11:12 pm

Using OBS is your problem. Right now there are similar complaints by those attempting to use OBS using a variety of their available codecs. Just read some of the threads. Sadly, I have yet to see a solution. I would look to find some screen recording software compatible with Vegas. I've used Mirillis Action without a problem, although I don't record games. It records 1920 x 1200 (monitor size) at 60 fps without issue. It always surprises me that so many will spend big bucks on a PC, money on Vegas which is a high end editor and then use freeware for screen recording. Bottom line--look for a better way to do your recordings.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Julian Austin
on Aug 3, 2016 at 9:29:28 pm

Just tested it with action recording software, still getting same times for rendering. A lot of my friends use OBS to record and have quite similar spec pc's yet their render times are normal.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 3, 2016 at 10:48:25 pm

In that case, something is definitely wrong with your system or the way you are using Vegas. How about posting screen shots of your project settings and render settings. Also a screen shot using MediaInfo for one of your recorded files. Plus, just a screen shot of your timeline which, from what you are saying, is just a single video track plus audio. One thing to check is that your opacity is set to 100% and somehow not decreased inadvertently to say 99%. Also make sure there are no video track effects or video bus effects that have been added. You could also upload just a short recording for others to have a look at. The render times you are reporting given your system specs is just not right. They should be close to real-time.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Julian Austin
on Aug 3, 2016 at 11:17:16 pm

All the screenshots you asked for are below. No effects are added on the timeline, all that is there is raw footage with velocity syncing. I have checked opacity and it is at 100%

Project Settings: https://gyazo.com/adf586857ab2bdbacbc444e639a54dd2
Render Settings: https://gyazo.com/c7d6e3e5a4788a10e79367cd9af9145d
MediaInfo Screenshot: https://gyazo.com/b8611fe4362b1b1e05c3f1ebc62659dd
Timeline: https://gyazo.com/11f7b8a1143b21ea24b89b7470c38dcb
Recording:

Thanks
Julian

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Aug 4, 2016 at 12:38:26 am

Good screenshots. For one thing, your render settings do not match your project settings. Your project frame rate is 60 fps, while your render frame rate is 59.94 fps. They should be the same, although it probably shouldn't make that much of a difference if you have disable resampling seleced. The MediaInfo should be for your raw footage, not the final render. You should also select the tree option which gives more info. What do you mean by "velocity syncing". Did you apply a velocity envelope. If so, that would affect render times. And finally, you could upload a sample of your raw footage, not your rendered footage.

As an aside, there are much better encoders than Mainconcept AVC. Probably the best is Handbrake that uses he x264 encoder. There is also a "one-click" Vegas to Handbrake script that is very useful in that it enables direct encoding in Handbrake from the Vegas timeline. If you're interested, here is the link. http://www.vegasvideo.de/vegas-2-handbrake-en

wwaag

Return to posts index

Peter Holt
on Aug 6, 2016 at 2:46:31 pm

This speed is not unusual in my limited experience, over about 5 years of using various Vegas versions.

With MSP12 I have just done a 50hr render with 80GB source data (from a Sony FDR-1000V) in 1080P 50FPS 25mbits/sec, total elapsed footage 5:15hrs. Rendering using AVC, to same output format (or as close as I can find - I don't think there is a lossless path) as the input.

The plug-in chain I used is
- Sony brightness and contrast
- Sony colour correction
- NewBlueFX Lens Correction
- Sony Timecode
- track motion (1.6 degrees of rotation and a slight zoom) on the video track

The main reason for this render was to imprint the timecode into the corner
http://peter-ftp.co.uk/screenshots/2016-08-06_080255.jpg
because at the next stage the rendered mp4 (45GB) will be imported and loads of stuff cut out, etc. It is a flying movie of which 95%+ is rubbish :)

So the rendering speed is about 1/10 of real time. i7-970 3GHz, win7-64, 24GB RAM GTX750 2GB Kalm video (GPU acceleration disabled everywhere; it makes little difference with MSP12 but actually stops Pro 13 working unless disabled globally in Preferences).

I am doing the same render now in Pro13 and it looks like it will be 1.5x faster, which is interesting.

But nothing I have tried produces a massive difference. Even with no FX I get a 1/5 of real time with 1080P, or 1/3 of real time rendering the 1080P to 768P (always 25mbits/sec).

One Apple fanboy I know claims he is getting faster than real time with Final Cut Pro, but while he never told me exactly how he achieves it, and there is no FCP for windoze anyway, he is using GPU acceleration and because Apple control the hardware in a Mac tightly, the app developers can develop for that. Whereas Vegas appears to have a long history of some GPUs working (mainly old ones) and most not, or if they work they keep crashing, not necessarily right away, or the render is corrupted. Apparently Vegas uses different code (a different algorithm entirely) when rendering GPU compared to when rendering non-GPU and there are many reports of the GPU version producing worse quality. So I don't bother. With MSP11 and MSP12 I saw a speedup of max 5% which is nothing.

So if anybody knows a better way I am "all ears" especially if there is a lossless path from the Sony AVC format to an mp4 in the same format. Handbrake can do it - obviously provided one is not doing colour correction, rotation etc, and just say adding subtitles like the timecode in the corner. A lossless path should be many times faster.

It's interesting that one can invoke Handbrake from within Vegas. Is there any writeup on how to do it?

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Aug 7, 2016 at 9:18:26 pm

Hi Peter,

"It's interesting that one can invoke Handbrake from within Vegas. Is there any writeup on how to do it?"

Did you try the link provided by Wayne in his previous post? It's all there.....

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]