FORUMS: list search recent posts

Steve Rhoden and John Rofrano: Scripts in Vegas Pro 14

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Jones
Steve Rhoden and John Rofrano: Scripts in Vegas Pro 14
on Jul 25, 2016 at 8:01:46 am

Steve has several times stated on different forums that our scripts will be OK in the new Vegas Pro 14 but I'm afraid this doesn't seem to be the case as will be seen from my earlier pots on this site:-

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/1012598

This is a matter of some concern (if you follow the link to the Vegas Pro forum you will see that no less an authority than Edward Troxel has indicated that there is a problem and that scripts will need to be re-written or amended to make them compatible with Pro 14). I assume the same will apply to the various plug-ins we have installed over the years (i.e. such as those I referred to in the above post as well as any 'freebies' such as Timeline Tools).

I wonder if either of you can comment please.

Richard

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Steve Rhoden and John Rofrano: Scripts in Vegas Pro 14
on Jul 25, 2016 at 11:34:13 pm

[Richard Jones] "I wonder if either of you can comment please."
Gary Rebholz of MAGIX has "officially" stated that scripts WILL need to be MODIFIED to work with Vegas Pro 14.0.

Just to be very clear: Existing scripts WILL NOT continue to work!

We don't know if the extent of the change is simply a namespace change from Sony.Vegas to something else, or if it goes deeper into removing com.sonycreativesoftware from all of the OFX plug-in presets or the word "Sony" from all of the FX names (e.g., "Sony Chroma Key, Sony Levels", etc.) but changes will need to be made to scripts and command extensions by their authors and if the authors have abandoned the script then it may never work with Vegas Pro 14.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jul 26, 2016 at 8:34:38 am

And just to be VERY CLEAR too, this needs support from MAGIX, and when I say support, I mean $upport for their Scripting Partners. I think that's fair?

Rubs both ways.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Richard Jones
on Jul 26, 2016 at 10:09:08 am

Thank you John --- and I've just had a chance to catch up with your post on the Vegas Pro forum in the thread I referred to above.

Your argument about covering the costs to continue your business on a sensible footing is well taken although questions of customer service will obviously have to be taken into account and this in its turn might depend on the amount of work involved. I fully understand and appreciate this but the need to upgrade scripts, especially the problems this will cause consumers for those no longer being supported, might, just might, be an upgrade killer:)

Richard

Return to posts index

Jeff Lee
on Jul 26, 2016 at 2:52:12 pm

Seems to me the reasonable solution is for Sony to license the paths for scripts to MAGIX. What a crappy thing for Sony not to due. But Sony has proven that they don't care about the end users. Seems to me that MAGIX is trying hard to make this deal work. If I were the commercial script producers I would want to produce an "upgrade" for a small fee. The free ones, well if one is very popular I would think the commercial guys might want to fill the market void.

Return to posts index

Edward Troxel
on Aug 6, 2016 at 4:59:32 pm

Subject: RE: Namespace change coming for VEGAS Pro 14
Reply by: GaryRebholz Sony Certified Vegas Trainer
Date: 8/5/2016 10:52:52 AM

Here's more information on what will happen:

The scripting namespace for VEGAS Pro 14 changes from “Sony” to “ScriptPortal”. In your scripts, any occurrence of items like “Sony.Vegas” or “Sony.MediaSoftware” must be changed to “ScriptPortal.Vegas” and “ScriptPortal.MediaSoftware”. We chose this namespace (“ScriptPortal”) in order to remove any company branding and thus avoid this problem in the future.

For stand-alone scripts (not a compiled extension), you can easily make this change yourself even without any programming knowledge. Open the script with Notepad (always work on a copy of the script in case you make a mistake) and replace “Sony” with “ScriptPortal”. Save the script with a new filename so that you still have a copy that works in pre-14 versions of VEGAS Pro.

As has been pointed out, if you use extensions (like JohnnyRoy's VASST tools or jetdv's Excalibur and Montage Magic) instead of simple scripts, you are dependent upon the script developer to make these changes and recompile the extension.

Next, any scripts that use Sony branded plugins will also need to change the name from Sony to VEGAS. For example, if a script currently uses "Sony Sharpen", you need to change that script to "VEGAS Sharpen". Again, you can easily do this yourself in Notepad (always work on a copy of the script in case you make a mistake) unless it is a compiled extension in which case the original developer must make the change and recompile.

Edward Troxel

Return to posts index

Edward Troxel
on Aug 6, 2016 at 5:02:44 pm

I do plan to recompile a Vegas Pro 14 version as soon as it is possible to do so. This would be a free update with no new features.

Edward Troxel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]