FORUMS: list search recent posts

MiniDV Camcorder Output/Render Settings?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Bell
MiniDV Camcorder Output/Render Settings?
on Jul 24, 2016 at 10:01:16 am

Hey all,

I have a Panasonic NV DS29B MiniDV camcorder that I'll be using to film some skateboarding. Gave it a quick test this morning with the fisheye lens/handle along with a PCI Firewire card and it captures footage into Vegas fine. My question is what sort of filetype/render settings should I be using for this? The original uncompressed file is an 18 second 66.4MB AVI with these settings:

It'll just be uploaded to either YouTube or Vimeo but I have no clue where to start with exporting it from Vegas.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: MiniDV Camcorder Output/Render Settings?
on Jul 24, 2016 at 10:10:24 am

Hi David.

You can upload to YouTube directly from the Vegas Timline. Fancy that? You can judge/see the outcome and then decide if you wish to use some of the "workflows" that we can provide- there are many that have and are used with many and increasing depths of complexity! One I've used is the Handbrake utility.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

David Bell
on Jul 24, 2016 at 10:29:15 am

I've never had any luck with uploading straight to YouTube sadly. I have used Handbrake in the past to compress down game footage captured via FRAPS, and also used a combination of the Lagarith codec and MeGUI to do the same thing but I think that'd be too overkill for SD footage. I guess it'll just take a little fiddling with the camera and trial/error in Vegas to figure out adequate settings.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jul 24, 2016 at 10:33:21 am

Ah, so you've experimented with all those options.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

David Shirey
on Jul 25, 2016 at 6:48:50 pm

Well I'm in an NTSC region so I tend to render standard definition footage at 640x480 with the MainConcept AVC/AAC just for easy to use mp4 files. You could tweak the settings for PAL standard but I wonder if you wouldn't prefer upscaling to 720p. I know the footage's native resolution isn't HD but YouTube is free and will recompress the footage to different streams anyway. Everyone is using widescreen monitors these days so you may want to change your timeline to 720p, and either crop the image a little and add a sharpening filter or fill in the sides with some sort of graphics or a blurred out zoom of the footage in the middle. Even if you just left it as black bars, the viewers would probably rather see 576 resolution video upscaled and sharpened than have youtube downscale it to 720p.

I've been shooting HD for so long now I don't know if any other editors who occasionally work with SD footage would chime in on if that's a good option?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]