FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unable to capture video using firewire Vegas 11 Windows 10.

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Diane Sosnoski
Unable to capture video using firewire Vegas 11 Windows 10.
on Jul 21, 2016 at 8:47:53 pm

I upgraded to Windows 10 and am running Vegas 11. I want to capture DV from my Sony DV/Cam deck using IEEE 1394. The PC recognizes the firewire connection and the drivers are up to date but when I attempt to capture DV, no capture window appears.

I have another PC running Windows XP and Vegas 10. This configuration captures video with no problem. I copied all the settings from the preferences on the XP PC to the Windows 10 PC but still no capture window appears.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: Unable to capture video using firewire Vegas 11 Windows 10.
on Jul 22, 2016 at 11:35:44 pm

Was this process running smoothly before windows 10 upgrade?

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Diane Sosnoski
on Jul 23, 2016 at 2:38:57 am

I made 2 changes from the last time I captured from the DVCAM deck.
I upgraded to Windows 10, removed Vegas 10 and installed Vegas 11.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jul 23, 2016 at 4:18:02 am

It's starting to sound like you're needing to hunt down the much needed 1394 Firewire chipset Legacy driver. I've read that this isn't included with the Win10 install. I'm still on Win7 so I can't help you, and I had to install this driver from the Win7 install. I've provided you with enough search terms to proceed yourself.

Do get back here and report.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Jul 23, 2016 at 1:33:45 pm

[Graham Bernard] "It's starting to sound like you're needing to hunt down the much needed 1394 Firewire chipset Legacy driver."

From memory, under Vista and Windows 7 all I needed to do was uninstall the driver and Windows offered to install the legacy one by default.

Under Windows 10, the process appears different and you need to obtain a driver:

https://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/Firewire-1.htm

I personally have not tried the above fix as I had many issues upgrading to Windows 10 on my 2009 hardware. I had video driver and a nasty RAID driver performance/compatibility issue that almost cost me my entire RAID contents, and I have since banished (rolled back) Windows 10 from my editing systems. The nagware to install Windows 10 was annoying to the point of taking on malware type behaviours to get you to install it, but that will thankfully cease on 29 July 2016 (I hope). When I do go to Windows 10, it will be on new hardware.

My system specs: Intel i7 970, GTX570, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Diane Sosnoski
on Jul 26, 2016 at 7:18:29 am

I'm not a fan of Windows 10 but waited longer than the 30 days they give you to easily return to Windows 8. After reading about all the issues that have come up for people who try to uninstall 10, I decided to learn to live with it.

I may try it but don't like the idea of downloading the driver as that may create issues as well.
I currently have a work around by capturing video on my Widows XP PC and then transferring the footage using a pen drive. Adds another step which ideally I'd like to avoid but that may be the safest route.

If I decide to try installing the driver, I'll post the results here.

Thanks very much for responding!

Return to posts index

Diane Sosnoski
on Jul 26, 2016 at 8:14:51 am

I just purchased the 13/14 upgrade with the hope that the capture issue might be resolved with the upgrade.
I'll report back here after installing it.

Return to posts index

Diane Sosnoski
on Jul 26, 2016 at 6:56:28 am

Thanks a lot for your response. I will let you know how it works out.

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Jul 26, 2016 at 8:41:10 am

The Vegas upgrade will not resolve what essentially is a lower level operating system issue.

I rolled back my Windows 10 upgrade on 2 systems: a laptop and my main editing PC system, both of which were purchased circa 2009, and were very high-end at the time. The laptop would randomly freeze and never recover. The PC failed to load Windows after a video driver/RAID storage driver update, essentially stopping me from accessing my files. Thankfully the Windows 10 roll-back on my PC work as intended. It was either that of work with VGA graphics and disk write performance of 2 MBps which is really, really slow. Slower than copying files to USB 1.0.

My laptop just went into this endless recovery loop and I had to wipe everything and rebuild it from scratch. I tried the Windows 10 upgrade again on the clean system, with the same results, but this time Windows 10 rolled back successfully. I have installed GWX to stop the constant Windows 10 upgrade nagware.

I formed the conclusion that if your hardware is older than 2012, you will have issues.

I upgraded a 2012 laptop without issue.

My system specs: Intel i7 970, GTX570, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jul 26, 2016 at 8:59:47 am

[Nigel O'Neill] "The Vegas upgrade will not resolve what essentially is a lower level operating system issue.
"
I agree. This will be the 1394 FireWire chipset driver. I had this with Win 7, but at least there was the option in Win7 of simply getting to the 1394 Chipset and swapping-in the Legacy Driver. The purchase of Vegas 13/14 will not do it.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Diane Sosnoski
on Jul 26, 2016 at 6:44:47 pm

My PC is not that old, it's a Dell XPS 8700 purchased in May of 2015.

Return to posts index

Bruce Brent
on Jul 26, 2016 at 7:30:00 pm

Diane, from what I've found, all you'd need is a $10.00 (ebay) firewire card (pci). The Windows 8 Legacy driver should work. Here's the Microsoft link for it and instructions to install it.....

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2970191

Let us know if this works for you.

Return to posts index

Diane Sosnoski
on Aug 4, 2016 at 12:06:24 am
Last Edited By Diane Sosnoski on Aug 5, 2016 at 3:29:46 am

Problem solved!
I was unable to download the 1394 Firewire chipset legacy driver so contacted Microsoft tech support. They had me upgrade Windows 10 to the current "Anniversary Edition" and also update my NVIDEA Ge Force GT 720 driver. I can now upload video via firewire from my Sony DVCAM deck to Vegas 13.

Thanks to all for your willingness to help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]