FORUMS: list search recent posts

New PC - which options best for Vegas?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glen Stromquist
New PC - which options best for Vegas?
on Jul 20, 2016 at 1:20:50 pm

I'm looking at replacing my Dell XPS 2009 vintage.

There are two XPS's I have my eye on.

Both have i7 6th gen processor with 6700K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.2 GHz)

One is on sale, it has 32GB RAM and a 256GB SSD & 2TB 7200 rpm HDD, and NVIDIA GTX 960 with 2GB DDR5 RAM.

The other is same price (not on sale), but 16GB RAM, same HDD but no SSD drive, however it has a AMD HD R9 370 4GB GDDR5 video card

Dell doesn't have the options to change as many components like they used to, so it's one or the other.

I'm primarily using Vegas 13 for editing, but going to try DaVinci Resolve after reading about it. I also have Corel X8 pro but have not used it a lot yet.

Since I've read that Vegas likes Open CL & AMD cards a lot better than NVIDIA cards, I was tempted to go with the XPS with the AMD card. However, for the same price I can get double the RAM and a 256GB SSD.

Is the extra speed I'll get from the SSD & the added 16GB RAM going to compensate enough for the 2GB NVIDIA card? Or would I be better off going with the 4GB AMD card, half the RAM and no SSD?

thanks in advance. .

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: New PC - which options best for Vegas?
on Jul 20, 2016 at 7:28:27 pm

I would go with 32GB of ram. Make sure you run a full MemTest86+ series on it when you get the machine, to check for 100% zero errors.

If NVME option is available go with that as well, but check the motherboard for how it supports this as it may steal lanes from the GPU.

Personally, you should go with the best X series AMD card that you can afford. There have been other posts that list the X series cards in order.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]