FORUMS: list search recent posts

New pc build with Magix Vegas (14) in mind

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
salim samou
New pc build with Magix Vegas (14) in mind
on Jul 19, 2016 at 6:43:56 am

I know it's hard to predict what real advantages Magix will give us with regards to more efficient usage of pc resources ,but after a 4 year run with Sony Vegas and i7 920 I'm deciding to build a new pc with the idea I will upgrade to latest Magix Vegas software .. Let me know what you think of 2011 v3 mother board with i7 6800k ,64gb ram,Gtx 1070? Mainly smoother 4K editing and coloring (multiple plugins) ,and light to medium effect based plugins (not so much rendering 4K but rather 1080p) ,system ssd and a hitachi 3rb for system clips ,how does that look like to you guys for something under 1500$ build

Return to posts index

Bruce Quayle
Re: New pc build with Magix Vegas (14) in mind
on Jul 19, 2016 at 9:50:09 am

Hi Salim...and all,
I am in a similar situation. I am just about to purchase all the components to build the Videoguys DIY 11 computer setup (of course using John's recommendation of the Radeon R9 290 gfx card).
However, with the introduction of the new i7 Skylake processor, which allows one to use the Asus Z170 motherboard and DDR4 RAM, I am now wondering if this wouldn't be a better option?
Does anyone have any recent experience with this, or any comments.
Salim, I must apologise for weighing in on your thread like this, but I thought it might be pertinent to your situation too.
Cheers,

Cheers,
Bruce

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jul 19, 2016 at 6:06:41 pm

At this moment in release schedules, the i7-5960 or 5930 would be the most powerful system you can assemble without going multi CPU Xeon. The X99 chipset is better than the 170 due to the quad channel memory controller, and the amount of PCI lanes. The skylake series is a more economical chipset and design.

There are a couple of pending releases that may be worth waiting for, if at least waiting for the price drops on existing designs. The 490X release will make the 390X and Fury X much more reasonable price. The CannonLake series of intel processors will include something called AVX-512, this will feature to a software developer like Magix will offer performance advantages.

We are all just looking in the crystal ball from our positions. This is what I see.

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Jul 19, 2016 at 6:31:51 pm

If you're building for Vegas 14, it really does make sense to wait until Vegas 14 is out, at least for the whole system.

Ok, some of it's pretty easy. Spend what you can for CPU and memory -- you can get 8 cores in the i7-5960, but those last two seem to cost about as much as the first six :-) And then there's the i7-6950X, which is 10 core and not quite double the 5960 for those two additional cores. These get you the four memory channels, which you're going to want with this many cores in the system.

But then there's what you might need that's Vegas-specific. Do they upgrade any of the GPU stuff? Are they specific GPUS that work better than others? What are the memory requirements for the kind of work you want to do (I have 64GB for still photography, so "overkill for Vegas" came along for the ride)? I wouldn't necessarily expected big changes, but I'd be pretty happy if they actually went to town on some of the shortcomings in Vegas 13. It'll be an upgrade for me anyway... I'm not even doing a great deal of video these days, but I'd like to help send MAGIX the message that they've made a good decision.

-Dave

Return to posts index

salim samou
on Jul 29, 2016 at 8:35:24 pm

So on my old i7 920 system I tried the new gtx1060 card that a friend of mine just ordered and it made things worse with Vegas pro 13 (compared to r9 270 I had in it ) ,not sure if nvidia support will be better with the new 14 or it's just because the Gtx 1060 is brand new (open cl enabled ) caused Vegas to crash everytime ..maybe Gtx cards are not a good combo wit Vegas ,not sure if this trend will continue with the new Vegas pro 14 or not

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jul 31, 2016 at 4:18:17 pm

"(I have 64GB for still photography, so "overkill for Vegas" came along for the ride)?"

More memory in a system is never overkill, especially with apps like Photoshop and Vegas too. More system memory means more available cache, and it will always be faster when rendering to pull from cache than making a call to storage.

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Aug 3, 2016 at 12:18:31 pm

Actually, that's not always true. It depends entirely on the cache design. In hardware L1/L2/L3 caches, we have content-addressable memory, which makes cache lookup very fast. And you get to redesign that hardware any time the cache grows.

As you increase the software cache size in any program, you increase the search time for every storage access. There's no way to parallellize that. Just trade-offs in search algorithms. That can be designed for the expected cache use, but it'll actually slow things down if too much cache is used. Vegas let's you set some memory aside for it, the rest is dynamically allocated based on what Vegas needs. There's no useful way to use 64GB memory in Vegas. But that's really no problem.

-Dave

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Aug 3, 2016 at 11:16:47 am

Anyway you cut it, that's a decent system spec for editing or for Vegas editing....
But its still advisable for you to wait and see what Vegas Pro 14 brings to the table on its release.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]