FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas Pro 13 Consistently Crashing At Different Stages

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Gazin
Sony Vegas Pro 13 Consistently Crashing At Different Stages
on Jul 12, 2016 at 9:46:58 pm
Last Edited By Michael Gazin on Jul 12, 2016 at 10:50:25 pm

Sony Vegas is constantly overloading my CPU to the point that my entire computer freezes (no mouse movement), and I have to power the computer off and on to continue.

It happens usually only after 10+ minutes of editing... while rendering, and other times just while scrubbing through video during further edits. The computer begins functioning noticeably slower a few minutes before the crash. If I close out of Vegas before the freeze, I can reopen the program and render right away flawlessly. It's as if there's some sort of buffer that fills up over the span of editing which restarting seems to clear and the program will function normally again for another 10 or so minutes.

I thought my computer was sufficiently powerful to handle the software. Here are the details:

GPU acceleration of video processing ON
GPU rendering ON
Video source: 720p or 1080p .MOV

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 760 (993 MHz Core - 2 GB GDDR5 SDRAM)
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690k @ 3.5GHz
RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM)
Windows 7 Ultimate
Sony Vegas Pro 13

I'd love to hear your thoughts. If you have any questions, please let me know!

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Sony Vegas Pro 13 Consistently Crashing At Different Stages
on Jul 13, 2016 at 6:07:08 pm

NV does not have the best OpenCL support, AMD is much better, so try turning off your GPU under Options>Video>GPU. Restart vegas after the change. See if that stabilizes your edits. AVID, Premiere and Resolve will utilize your 760 better than Vegas.

I posted this about a week ago, and variants of this about 6+ times in the past year.

What version of Vegas are you running? The latest is build of Pro is 453.

What plugins do you have loaded, and are using on the project timeline? Are they all Sony plugins or 3rd party?

What is the workflow, from camera/source material, and what profile are you rendering to? "Media Info" (an application) info on source material helps others to know what you are dealing with.

Are you running the latest video drivers for your GPU?

Have you pushed through all the windows updates, or are there any updates pending a reboot to complete?

Can you list a screen shot of "speccy" summary screen, and are your Temps on all measured devices staying below 55C or 130F?

Have you tested your memory for 100% zero errors with Memtest86+ lately?

Do you get a clean bill of health after running "sfc /scannow" from an admin command line?

Have you run an AV scan with Malwarebytes, and cleaned anything found?

Run CCleaner with Regclean and repair. Reboot after.

Run the windows "disk cleanup" on C:, then select clean up system files, and check all boxes. Then reboot, and run windows update to check for additional updates. Install updates, and reboot.

Test your system with DPC Latency Checker, http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml , to verify that your system drivers are behaving.

Test for proper OpenCL operation with a benchmark tool like Luxmark 2.0, enable for CPU+GPU render. Monitor heat levels are <60C in Speccy during render.

Failing after editing awhile sounds like heat, driver issue, or memory errors to me off the top of my head.

Return to posts index

Michael Gazin
on Jul 14, 2016 at 8:52:09 am

Thank you! Going to tackle everything you mentioned one by one and will report back - the only question I have is I thought Nvidia cards used CUDA, not OpenCL? I don't know if that changes anything with your suggestion to turn off GPU processing, but Vegas does identify in my rendering options that CUDA is available.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jul 14, 2016 at 6:42:49 pm

Vegas supports OpenCL and not Cuda, with the exeption of the MC mp4 encoder that is no longer supported by the latest Nv cards. NV cards/drivers do claim they support OpenCL, but whether its poor gflops performance or poor driver support in lieu thier propriatry CUDA offering, the stability in Vegas does not seem to be there. AMDs hardware/driver support of OpenCL from user experience in Vegas seems to be much better, and more stable.

It is my belief that people often build their systems in the reverse fashion. They know what they want in terms of the latest hardware and whats hot in marketing at the time they have money to purchase. When they really should be concidering the needs of applications like Vegas, then building a system that meets those needs to be best of their financial ability. A frame or 2 more on a video game, but then pulling your hair out in Vegas because you have the wrong video card seems backwards to me.

Other Video NLEs have based their engines on CUDA and so make more sense if you have build your system with NV in mind.

Return to posts index

Lothario Rowe
on Sep 4, 2016 at 10:12:13 pm
Last Edited By Lothario Rowe on Sep 8, 2016 at 2:27:57 am

[deleted]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]