FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems with Green Screen - shadow on screen around edges of body

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sandeep Sandhu
Problems with Green Screen - shadow on screen around edges of body
on Jul 8, 2016 at 6:35:46 am

Dear Friends,

Really hoping you can help me. I am working on a project and had to use the clients own green screen. I've had two major problems.

After taking footage I have noticed the colours are not even (ie one side of green left to person is going almost gray whilst other side is nice and green). I have got round trying to even colours across but had to play around a whole host of videoFX plugins (including some Boris FX ones) - how do you guys all even out all the green screen colors in these situations?

Second problem is worse...the persons shadow is showing on the green screendirectly outlining one side of the person. Whatever I do, whether I chose choke FX etc...even after removing all the greens, on one edge side of persons body you can see a gray thick outline made by the shadow. Choking effects unfortnately also remove the good edges of the person on their non shadow side.

Appreciate if you have any good ideas and techniques on this?

I am using Sony Vegas 10 (32bit) on Win7 (64bit) with Borix FX version 8.0. I used BCC Chrome key for green screen since it seemed better than Sony Vegas's native version. I used BCC Composite choker to further cut away still visible greens (due to green screen being uneven color). I was thinking of rendering this and then using BCC Chroma again the second time on the end result to remove the Gray colour shadow outline or using masking techniques but maybe this method would be going too far.

Again, appreciate any assistance.

Rgds
Sandy

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
Re: Problems with Green Screen - shadow on screen around edges of body
on Jul 9, 2016 at 3:01:43 am

Hi Sandeep

The real secret in order to get a good result with a green screen is to :

1- A green backdrop with the right tint (flat, non-reflective).

2- Lighting is key (no pun intended). No harsh lights. Use a diffuser on your lights if you don't have soft lighting available.

3- Try to achieve even lighting on your screen.

4- Make sure the subject is far enough so not to cast any shadows on your green screens. It will also diminish the green spill around your subject. If your green screen is too small, just use the MASK option in EVENT PAN/CROP.

5- Proper back-lighting of your subject will help to detach your subject from the green screen. (and cut down on the spill)

For video production, as in film and photography, good lighting is the secret that will make the difference between an OK product and a Stellar one.

It is always better to start with great stock footage than trying to fix everything in post. It will make your life way more stress free.

Your other option would be to get your hands on Harry Potter's magic wand.....

Cheers !

P.S.: Try to get your talent not to wear pin stripes......

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sandhu
on Jul 9, 2016 at 10:57:03 am

Hi Thanks for your response.

My problem is that I already have the footage now (with slight grayish shadow on one side of each person) - I spent two hours using Boris FX 8.0 - I manage to remove the green screen (even though one half of the green was lighter shade) but I am stuck with trying to remove the slight gray shadow area which is like a thick gray marker edge drawn around just the left side of each person that was interviewed in the footage.

Appreciate any ideas on how this extra gray line around just one side of the person can be removed
Thanks
Sandy

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Jul 9, 2016 at 4:24:11 pm

Hello again

At this point, your best bet is to use After Effects with the KeyLight 1.2 plugIn.

Free version from Adobe direct: (you will have to create an account and check 1 or 2 boxes) Don't go for the suite, just the one you need right now. (AE) You can come back latter if you want the others..

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs2-product-downloads.html#

Do a search on Google for KeyLight 1.2 and download.

After install, follow the excellent tutorial here:

The first half is lighting technique and the second is the actual AE Keylight process. I learned a lot from Eve and David a couple of years ago. Check out the rest of there stuff when you have more time.

Cheers !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]