FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need some input from others on media type

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Francis
Need some input from others on media type
on Jul 6, 2016 at 7:01:52 pm

Hey all,
I need to see if anyone would be willing to download and this file and see what your system says the file is.
I used an Atomos Ninja 2 to record it. It is SUPPOSED to be 1080i, but shows up in Vegas Pro 13 (newest version) as 29.97 fps as Progressive and Mediainfo shows it as 29.97 fps interlaced. Neither at 59.94 fps interlaced. The device has been sent to Atomos and returned showing no issues. So I could really use some other input on what your systems see it as.
I have tried it on 3 systems, all showing the same results as above.

Here is the link to the original file created by the Ninja 2
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3mn34rutfmg7brs/NINJA2_S001_S001_T002.MOV?dl=0

Thanks in advance for your help!

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

George Dean
Re: Need some input from others on media type
on Jul 6, 2016 at 9:32:08 pm

Hi Scott,

I started a new Vegas Pro 13 project and matched properties to your sample source media. It set the frame rate at 29.970, the field order at upper field first. MediaInfo shows ProRes 422 HQ, bit rate 159 Mbps, frame rate 29.970, Interlaced, top field first. Everything seems normal.

I use an Atomos Samurai Blade. When I record ProRes 422 HQ 29.970 progressive and match media in Vegas Pro 13, it comes up interlaced! I just always change the project properties to (none) progressive scan. This is also the case when I record Avid DNxHD 29.970 progressive.

Did this help any?

Best Regards.....George

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Jul 6, 2016 at 9:40:19 pm

It should be 60i so 59.94 fps interlaced. Not 29.97 fps interlaced....that is my issue.
My understanding for years is that 1080i is 59.94 fps and that is what the Ninja is saying when it records.
Now when I open it in Mediainfo or Vegas it shows me 29.97 fps, when it should be 59.94

I have also used the progressive format and had to do the same as you mentioned above, but you are not able to change the FPS in Vegas...

Does this make sense?

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Jul 7, 2016 at 12:30:34 am

1080i is 29.970 frames and 59.940 fields.

Best Regards.......George

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Jul 7, 2016 at 1:33:15 pm

That explains a lot!!
Is Vegas combining the fields into frames? That would appear to be the case.
All the definitions I have read and so forth over the years never really explained this, I feel so dumb!!
I assumed it was 60 fps each being an interlaced frame vs solid frames with progressive.

Thanks for the clarification!

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Jul 7, 2016 at 5:02:28 pm

Hi Scott,

"Is Vegas combining the fields into frames? That would appear to be the case."

Yes, as all video handlers, NLE and viewers, do. When playing, it first goes to how many frames per second, then how each frame is displayed. If progressive, the entire frame is displayed. If interlaced, the upper (or first) field is displayed followed by the lower (bottom) field to complete the frame (or it could be lower and then upper, and which one displays first is in the video file specification). Well, that was a very short explanation with the science removed (meaning it is maybe 90% correct), but I think that simplifies the explanation.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]