FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vegas can't preview a clip over 60fps?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Regar
Vegas can't preview a clip over 60fps?
on Jul 3, 2016 at 11:28:00 pm

Hi. I have an issue with my Sony Vegas Pro 13, in which when I try to import a clip that's over 60fps, the clip will be slowed heavily and will end prematurely.
For example; Say I import a clip that is 15 seconds long that is 120fps. Vegas will give me a 15 second long clip, that will be slowed and finish very early, although it's still technically 15 seconds long.

I can assure 100% that the clips themselves are not the issue, as the source of them doesn't matter, vegas just has the same error each time.

If this is relevant, there was only one instance (of maybe 10+ differently sourced clips) In which I found a clip that worked, which was 300fps, and the quality was low. I've tried handbraking the quality lower (not fps) but it doesn't fix it. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this, if anything?
Also if relevant, I have intel HD Graphics 5500, and 6gb of RAM.

P.S., downscaling the FPS is not an option, I need them to be a minimum of 120fps, and the project file's fps being off doesn't make a difference. Thanks in advance for any help!

https://gyazo.com/c49c0d6e8f304e88cd00a8dec4de0a1d
https://gyazo.com/ed25527688e5ef75eae5b15ef9d2ee84

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: Vegas can't preview a clip over 60fps?
on Jul 4, 2016 at 1:35:40 am

It seems highly unlikely that Vegas is your problem. Since I don't deal with 120 fps footage, I downloaded the clip in this thread, the high quality one.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/574591/120fps-video-120hz-users-on...

When imported into Vegas, it plays just fine. On my system, preview at Best/Full was around 110 fps. The length is correct and agrees with information given in MediaInfo.

My suspicion, contrary to your opinion, is that your clips are the problem. Vegas can be pretty particular. For one thing, a constant frame rate recording mode is necessary for your footage. Game recording software often uses variable frame rates. The resulting clips cannot be imported into Vegas or any other high end editor without significant problems. At a minimum, you should provide MediaInfo information for one of your clips and your project settings. Even better would be to upload a sample clip. From your 2nd photo, I see that you are using a 32bit pixel format and not the usual 8bit, which if by mistake, could lead to problems with the accuracy of your colors.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Anthony Regar
on Jul 4, 2016 at 1:56:16 am

I downloaded the Battlefield footage and it worked correctly. The thing is, the footage I am using is not my recorded footage, nor is it recorded in realtime at a variable rate. I have tried using footage from many different people, that works fine with them, but gives me the issues I stated. I am 100% positive the clips I was using were functional by more than one other person on their Sony Vegas.

Thank you for mentioning the color range, not sure why it was changed to full range. Here are my project settings;

https://gyazo.com/057970f98e316729b18e22b685118429

Media info for the file I have as a test to import now;

https://gyazo.com/1b915e1c5ced1bdcbbfe92332d458ca7

Again, I just wanted to note I have exclusively had this issue with anything over 60fps.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jul 4, 2016 at 2:17:50 am

A screenshot using the MediaInfo software would provide much more detailed information. And again, an uploaded short clip of the offending footage would be even better. The one shown is only 9 seconds. How about that one? At least, others could verify that it is indeed a problem. You have an odd frame size, but that shouldn't make any difference. Moreover, you are using an elementary stream (m4v). No audio?

wwaag

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jul 4, 2016 at 2:47:01 am

Moreover, you are using an elementary stream (m4v).

My mistake. m4v files use an Apple container that is usually associated with iTunes downloads, many of which have copy-protection.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Anthony Regar
on Jul 4, 2016 at 2:53:42 am

Here is the Original File;

And here is the rendered file with no changes in SV;

I assume render settings aren't really relevant because the preview looks exactly as rendered.

mediainfo for file;
https://gyazo.com/e65a6643718bd8e5199625bb44414192

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jul 4, 2016 at 3:00:29 am

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. Can you simply upload the exact file you are trying to import into Vegas?

wwaag

Return to posts index

Anthony Regar
on Jul 4, 2016 at 3:07:06 am

That's what the video titled "original' is.

here's the link again,

Return to posts index

Anthony Regar
on Jul 4, 2016 at 3:08:18 am

Wait sorry, give me a second and I will upload it to dropbox, I misunderstood.

Return to posts index

Anthony Regar
on Jul 4, 2016 at 3:12:56 am

I uploaded it to drive, dropbox was full.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8lnabA1Cb-GMFdqcTFMYnRCV3c

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jul 4, 2016 at 3:59:01 am

Downloaded your file. According to MediaInfo and Vegas it is 600 fps, not 100 fps. ?? I also see that it was encoded using Handbrake. I changed the project frame rate to 120 fps and it really stuttered. After Disabling Resample, it played OK. By doing this, it just selects every 6th frame and does not try to create an interpolated frame. See if disabling resample for that clip helps. One other question--why 600 fps? Your bit rate is still relatively low (26.5 Mbps) , meaning you have much less information for each frame. Moreover, you cannot show anything greater than 60 fps on YouTube which, even at that frame rate is really dicey unless you have a very fast internet connection.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Anthony Regar
on Jul 4, 2016 at 4:24:39 am

Disabling resample didn't change it. The problem isn't stuttering playback, the clip itself is slowed and shortened when it's imported to vegas, as you can see by the rendered view I uploaded.
It's sort of odd to explain, but 600fps is useful for having it go to up to 5% speed without dropping frames, and that is useful to me;
regardless I need the clips to be at least 120fps, and I've tried to handbrake it to 120 but I have the same issue.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jul 4, 2016 at 5:30:18 am

Works OK here. The imported clip at 600 fps looks the same as your original video on YT--not the slow version that you show on the 2nd clip.

It's sort of odd to explain, but 600fps is useful for having it go to up to 5% speed without dropping frames,

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this or quite frankly what you are trying to accomplish. Slow motion by chance?? You need to be more explicit.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Anthony Regar
on Jul 4, 2016 at 5:41:00 am

So then what is the problem? Why do the clips come in odd on my side? Do i need to re-install vegas, because that would be a pain.

Yes, sorry for explaining it poorly. If you really care to know, on the same channel I uploaded the 2 videos to, I upload "edits" of gaming clips, and to achieve a smooth flow, a high fps is very useful. I am "handicapped" because I cannot edit over 60fps.

Here's an example if you'd like to see,

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jul 4, 2016 at 1:02:23 pm

The problem is simply with certain of those game capture videos you are using. Vegas is not the Problem!
Game capture are never a 100% reliable source for re-editing, many variables are involved. And to make matters
worse, those are captured at high frame rates.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Anthony Regar
on Jul 4, 2016 at 1:08:16 pm

How can the captures be at fault, when another user confirmed it to be fine? Why does it not work on my end only? That doesn't sound like it's the capture's fault at all.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jul 4, 2016 at 1:37:28 pm

The captures ARE the ones at fault!
And one of the many variables i mentioned, this is one of them, where for one user it works fine and
for another it does not work properly at all or have certain unexplained artifacts in final render.
That is why it is not a 100% reliable source for re-editing.
A solid solution for your issue is unknown and a re-installation of Vegas is not going to help.

By the way, what version of Vegas are you using and briefly what are your system specs?

Film Maker & VFX Artist.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jul 4, 2016 at 3:30:48 pm

I agree with Steve completely. It's either the file or something you've done. In this case, I have a suspicion it's the latter since I have no problem with your file. I did a test render this morning and it looks the same as the original. Your rendered version, the slow one, appears that you have changed the playback rate to something less than one. Go to your clip on the timeline, right-click, and select properties. It should look like this.

You can reduce the playback rate to .25 and it will give you a slow motion effect. However, to see the entire video you must do a ctrl-drag to the right as far as it will go.

If you want normal playback, like the original, just make sure both the playback rate and undersample rate are set to 1.0.

One question. Are you designing your videos mainly for YouTube distribution? Both the original and rendered files have a frame rate of only 30 fps. At best, YouTube supports 60 fps. If that's the case, there is absolutely no reason to capture at such high frame rates. (600 fps or even 120 fps). Captures matching your delivery frame rate should be the best. The quality of each frame will be the highest and it will put less burden on your system. Such high frame rates would be useful if you intend to produce "slow-motion" versions of your action sequence.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Anthony Regar
on Jul 4, 2016 at 9:40:35 pm

The video's undersample rate and playback rate are both at 1.00. I am not time remapping it, the rendered is EXACTLY how it looks when I import footage and do nothing else. Trying to time remap it and drag the clip out further just causes the clip to repeat itself because Vegas actually thinks the clip ends at whatever point at 9 seconds in, and because it is "slowed" automatically, it will repeat at a very early point causing me to not be able to view the entire clip.

I tried to explain, but yes, it is necessary to be that high; it's about the ability to slow down the footage extremely slow and still stay above 30fps, which I do need.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jul 5, 2016 at 12:46:02 am

I understand now. Since you DO want to slow down the motion, that is the reason for the high capture rate. Good.

The "slow down" that you have is really baffling, especially since it works OK for me. Try just one more thing. Close Vegas-restart and begin a new project. Then download the file that you uploaded to Dropbox and drag that file onto the Vegas timeline. When asked if you want to have the project properties match the file, enter "yes". Now see if you are experiencing the same problem.

To me, this really sounds like something very simple has been overlooked. In any case, if the problem still remains, I would do a Vegas reset start where everything is set back to default. If that doesn't work, I guess the next step you would a Vegas re-install. Good luck.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Anthony Regar
on Jul 5, 2016 at 2:11:22 am

I believe it's some issue with my installment of vegas, or some setting I have, because this happens with more than just the clip I sent you. I have downloaded multiple different footages that do the exact same thing, and I already tried the match settings with a new project.

How could I go about resetting vegas?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jul 5, 2016 at 2:16:13 am

Hold ctrl-shift down and then double-click on Vegas icon. It will ask you if you want to reset to default values? Enter yes.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Anthony Regar
on Jul 6, 2016 at 4:11:40 pm

it didn't do anything, nor did it prompt me to reset settings, it just closes vegas instantly.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jul 6, 2016 at 5:14:54 pm

If you can't get it to reset, then I'd suggest a re-install. Make sure that you back up all of your presets. Shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Anthony Regar
on Jul 6, 2016 at 5:33:24 pm

How do I back them up, and is there any way to backup plugins aswell? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jul 7, 2016 at 9:47:36 am

There is no need to back up any plugins, after the re-install everything will be back where it should be.

Film Maker & VFX Artist.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]