FORUMS: list search recent posts

ability to choose final render size (or is this under 'compression' somewhere?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amanda Duffield
ability to choose final render size (or is this under 'compression' somewhere?
on Jul 3, 2016 at 4:29:00 am

I recently compressed a file from 877mb to 153mb using Prism by NCH software - so I just did a straight conversion from mpeg2 to mp4 and accepted whatever settings it chose.
I ended up with the footage - looks fine to watch - however I can't sent it through out Department large email system because that only takes 150mb (and mine is 153!). I've tried and it is rejected.

Additionally, the staff member wants this to be put up in our intranet community and that only takes file sizes of 50mb. Whether I can keep quality and go that low I don't know. (People still have to be able to read my captions).

In Vegas (or anywhere paid or otherwise) I would like to be able to say 'mp4' 50mb, and let it choose the settings for me. Is this a possibilityin Vegas? If not, is there another program (paid or otherwise)? I have Handbrake however I don't understand all the different setins. I've googled it and the tutorials I've seen have a different version of Vegas (I have the most up to date though?) they tutorials have a slider where you can choose the size you want, however mine just has the slider where you choose 20, 21, 22, 23 etc. I have it set on 20.

Anyway, I'd like vegas to let me choose the final size of my render.

Is this possible?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: ability to choose final render size (or is this under 'compression' somewhere?
on Jul 3, 2016 at 5:08:20 am

Is this possible?

Absolutely. File size is determined by bit rate. What you need is a "bit rate calculator". Just google. This is how people compress in order to fit their videos of varying lengths onto a DVD or Blu-Ray. Once you know your bit rate so that the max file size will not be exceeded, then you enter these values into your encoder--whether they are Vegas or Handbrake (preferred in my opinion). It's really pretty straightforward. Perhaps someone can recommend a specific one for your needs. Good luck.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Wayne Williams
Re: ability to choose final render size (or is this under 'compression' somewhere?
on Jul 6, 2016 at 11:36:43 am

Amanda, apparently Prism allows you to set a target output size. I haven't tried it myself, as I tried their video capture application once and found their approach to offering "free" software invasive and unethical. If you don't find this setting, it is not difficult to calculate the correct settings using a bitrate calculator, as suggested by Wayne Waag.

If you are just looking to create a 50MB file, the calculation is pretty simple. 50MB is roughly equivalent to 400000Kb. Simply calculate the running time of your video in seconds and divide it into that (e.g. 10 minutes is equal to 600 seconds; 400000/600 = 667Kb/s). The important thing to remember is that this is the total bitrate that the sum of your audio and video bitrates must not exceed.

Return to posts index

Amanda Duffield
on Jul 6, 2016 at 12:16:48 pm

THank you I understand completely what you mean about their strategies.

For something that seems so easy I'm not sure why I'm having such trouble. I did give up on prism in the end and used a trial of Sorenson Squeeze (my employer will pay for whatever I choose however haven't found the right program yet). I liked this one and found a 'limit bitrate to size' (or something similar) Sorenson 'help' told me this was where to do it, but If I chose 50000 it would end up at 53000 or so , so I'd do it again and guess asmaller amount , so 39500 or so.

I think I'll use your calculation as explained. Thanks for that. I've probably held up this 'suggestions' thread enough.

Thanks again & to all who've replied.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]