FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas 12 hangs for 30 seconds when selected in Windows 10

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Ridge
Sony Vegas 12 hangs for 30 seconds when selected in Windows 10
on Jul 1, 2016 at 5:59:22 pm

Hi! I've managed to keep most of my workstations from doing the automatic update to Windows 10, except the one that I use most frequently. Ever since it updated, everything works more or less as I'm used to except one thing. Whenever I go from Sony Vegas 12 (build 770) to any other window, even for a few seconds, then go back to Vegas, it takes about 30 seconds before Vegas kicks in & recognizes any of my clicks. It's become almost unbearable to use for that reason alone. I never realized how frequently I check emails, go on social media, open Explorer windows, etc. This only happens with Vegas and not any other program, including Lightroom & Photoshop. Is this a known issue anyone else has dealt with before? Not finding much in Google.

Bob Ridge

i7-3770 3.40GHz
10 MB RAM
Windows 10 64-bit

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Sony Vegas 12 hangs for 30 seconds when selected in Windows 10
on Jul 1, 2016 at 7:52:11 pm

Do you really only have 10MB or 10GB of RAM? The rule of thumb is 4-8GB of RAM per CPU core.

Win10 has a ton of back ground processes that make it do all the fancy things like boot fast, contana listening for commands, and other things. It could be with such a low amount of RAM, the system is swapping when you task switch. If you have overly agressive power saving settings, your HDD could be sleeping and that takes time to spin back up.

10GB is also a strange amount of RAM in the 1st place. I would get a tool like speccy and determine if you have the correct optimal memory speeds for the chipset. Then run:

Memtest86+ - to check that the memory controller and RAM sticks are 100% error free. The built in WIN10 memory checker is no good.

Run all Win10 updates, and make sure there are updates waiting for a restart, re-start as many times as needed.

Perform a SFC /scannow from an admin command prompt, and make sure there are no errors there.

With the right amount of RAM, Vegas should task switch just as fast as say Word, to Chrome. Pausing beyond that, I would look at Windows Process monitor and see what the system is doing during the pause. Bad network drive mapping, non-responsive DNS server, or errors on HDD media could be causing a timeout situation when reading media for thumbnails.

Return to posts index

Larry Brewer
on Mar 12, 2017 at 6:55:49 pm

Bob, I'm pretty sure that there is a setting to remedy that problem of Vegas losing priority when you switch to another window.
Not even sure that "losing priority" is the correct term to describe the issue. I've heard it referred to as "focus".
You posted back in July, have you found a solution? I'm looking for the same remedy and more RAM wasn't the solution.
Thanks,

Larry Brewer

Return to posts index

Larry Brewer
on Mar 12, 2017 at 7:03:31 pm

Bob, That was quick. I found a post by our friend John Renfro. Basicly a preference setting. He wrote..

"If you don't want this behavior you can disable it by going to Options | Preferences | General and uncheck "Close media files when not the active application" and Vegas Pro will keep a handle on the media files."

This is a very nice fix and speeds up the return to the Vegas program.

Return to posts index

Larry Brewer
on Mar 12, 2017 at 7:16:27 pm

That's John Rofrano! sorry for the misspell

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]