FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Camcorder

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Koms
New Camcorder
on Jun 26, 2016 at 2:03:06 am

I been using Sony Vegas Pro 13. For years been shooting with Canon's Vixia HV40, using firewire for capturing video to HDV format. Worked REAL nice, but now it's time to move on to a SD card cam. Hoping to get some input on the Canon VIXIA HF G20 HD Camcorder. What looks great about this is the dual SD cards. BUT hoping someone here has experience with this cam. Like the format it saves the video to, will it work nicely on Vegas's timeline? Any help or input would be great...
Ron

Return to posts index

Eric Clinch
Re: New Camcorder
on Jun 26, 2016 at 4:30:40 am

I've a Canon Legria HFG10 which is the PAL forerunner. It has two card slots plus internal hard drive. It's top1080 quality is AVCHD 50i 24Mbps. This is adequate for consumer use but might not suit pros. As for Vegas I have Movie Studio Platinum 12 and it has no problem with the files. How smoothly they will run on the timeline with effects, transitions etc will depend on the power of your pc.

Return to posts index

Ron Koms
on Jun 26, 2016 at 6:23:12 pm

Eric, so you ARE happy with it?
I read some reviews about how some don't like the touch screen menu's. But correct me if I'm wrong, most or all new cams are all like that also...
Ron

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Jun 26, 2016 at 5:57:49 pm

Hi Ron,

I'm not familiar with the HV40 or HF G20, but you may be able to connect something like an Atomos Ninja Star to your HV40 if you like the quality it produces. The Atomos Ninja Star records in up to ProRes 422 HQ and takes CFast cards, runs about $295 USD. Just a thought to breath a little life into your current camera for a reasonable upgrade cost.

Best Regards.....George

Return to posts index

Ron Koms
on Jun 26, 2016 at 6:27:12 pm

Interesting device... But I am in need of a new cam. That Atomos Ninja Star would be slick to have as a backup in case SD card in cam goes bad...
Ron

Return to posts index

Eric Clinch
on Jun 27, 2016 at 1:29:31 am

Yes Ron, I'm happy with it. My only complaint is the pathetic eyepiece as it has no eyecup surround at all. This means in bright conditions it is no more useful than the LCD screen. Canon improved it with later models, like you are looking at, but they are still nothing like the decent cups you get with pro cameras. Also the eyepieceof the HFG10 cannot be tilted.

I have a card in both slots but the multi slots isn't of interest to me. What I did find four years ago when I looked around was a problem with operating cameras remotely when on a tripod. One brand when I recently looked nowadays has no provision for plug in remote nor IR remote. Instead it has wifi connectivity so if you're lucky you may get a smartphone to operate it! My Canon has a socket for a remote but they're expensive. But it also came with an IR remote which operates off the screen, not the front of the camera. So on a tripod I just point the remote at the screen to stop, start and zoom. The ability to operate the camera remotely on a tripod was important to me as I dabble in closeup videography. Hence I went for the Canon.

When I last looked at video cameras a few months back Canon appeared to be slipping behind other manufacturers at the Consumer top end as they don't do 4K. Incidentally the HFG20 is now an old model. The HFG40 is the latest version. Problem is whatever you get it's out of date before you take it out the box as the technology escalator gets faster and faster....

Return to posts index

Ron Koms
on Jul 3, 2016 at 3:54:27 pm

This eye piece problem with the HFG20 and HFG10, was it fixed with the HFG30?
Hard to tell with pictures online...

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Jul 5, 2016 at 2:05:17 pm

The G30 has a small eye cup. I use it often instead of the LED screen, especially outside in bright light.

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Jun 28, 2016 at 12:18:06 am

I have 3, Vixia G30's and 1 G10. The G10 is the same as the XA10 Pro version (only difference are the XLR connectors).
The G20 is a VERY minimal update tot he G10, and I didn't go there. I waited until the G30 came out and LOVE IT!!!
You can shoot 35Mbps MP4 in 1080 60p. I use them with my Blackmagic ATEM switcher for my live and IMAG gigs and also with most anything else I shoot. LOVE THEM!!!! Good in low light (if you work with the settings and know what you are doing), footage is really nice and edits really well in Vegas. It also has good connections (LANC, HDMI out, Headphone out, Iris, Zoom and focus as well as numerous (I think 5) assignable buttons. It IS somewhat menu driven, but not horrible to navigate.
They have the new G40 out, which I will not buy. It has an updated sensor, but not worth updating to with no 4K.

If you are going to purchase, I would NOT get the G20, go with the G30. They have come down in price since the G40 has been released and the updated 35Mbps is REALLY worth the difference.
If you are looking for XLR inputs here is how the variations go with prosumer to pro numbering
Prosumer Pro
G10 - XA10
G20- None
G30 - XA20 (XA25 has HD-SDI out as well)
G40 - XA30 (XA35 has DH-SDI out as well)

Hope that helps!

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

Ron Koms
on Jul 2, 2016 at 4:18:04 pm

Thanks to everyone for the DETAILED replies...

OK, let me explain why I WAS interested in a cam with dual SD slots. Lots of my projects are right around an hour or so, and it was a pain switching tapes, with 2 SD cards, I wouldn't have to worry about switching in the middle of important scenes.

But, from what I have been reading, it seems like I can get a good bit on just one SD card...
That said, what is important to me is the keep price below $1000, and easy quick access to manual exposure button/knob. I use that a lot when filming High school musicals, (spot light on spotlight off/ low light)... 4K would be nice, but not extremely important to me now. Also what is important to me is that the files will work on Vegas pro 13's timeline...

Now looking at:
Panasonic HC-WXF991K
Panasonic HC-VX870K
Panasonic HC-X920
Sony FDRAX53/B

Thanks,
Ron

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Jul 2, 2016 at 5:44:23 pm

I do a TON of plays and stage stuff. Here is a link to some examples. All but the Joshua Tree demo are using Canon G30 and G10's. You would get similar results with the G20.
They also have a LANC remote connection which is really important for me as well. I control most of these remotely with PS3 controllers for Pan/tilt and Zoom/focus, etc.

http://www.mindseyeaudiovideoproductions.com/video-samples/live-production-...

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Jul 3, 2016 at 2:40:53 pm

Looks like Canon has all 3 in their refurb store.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/refurbished-consumer-camcorders?c...

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]