FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rendering always takes CPU to 99%

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Auran Kight
Rendering always takes CPU to 99%
on Jun 25, 2016 at 8:48:51 am

So when I've been trying to render videos with Vegas Pro 13, my CPU shoots straight up to 99%. Now normally I wouldn't care what it went up to, but I don't feel that this is something that should be happening. I don't have the best processor in the world, but my Intel Pentium G3240 is at least a bit more powerful than an i5. I'm not doing any intense editing; just taking video clips and splicing them together. I'm only using 10 tracks as well. Not to mention that when I render, it takes an insanely long amount of time, much longer than it should. It takes easily three times the length of the video I'm trying to render out, no matter what it may be. I don't understand why this is happening, and any help I've searched for has not done me any good. I know that I could lower my cpu limit through power options, but I don't think that would make it render any faster. I also looked into if it could be a problem with my GPU, but I have a GTX 960, so I doubt that's the issue. I messed around with the preferences and render options, and nothing. I'm only trying to render at 720p and 30fps. I don't know if the 99% thing and the long rendering times are even linked, but I know that one of my friends who has a several year old i5 processor does not have this issue, and she is also using Vegas, while my computer is not even half a year old and having these issues.

If anyone can help with this issue I would very greatly appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: Rendering always takes CPU to 99%
on Jun 25, 2016 at 11:27:20 am

Then the obvious problem i can suspect at this point is with the videos you are placing on the timeline!....
If they are from a game capturing procedure, there is where the problem lies. Where do you get these videos from?

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Auran Kight
on Jun 25, 2016 at 11:54:46 am

Yes, I am capturing them myself through the use of Open Broadcaster Software. However, my bit rate for recording was not that high. It was only something like 4000.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jun 25, 2016 at 6:40:51 pm

bit rate is not the problem, its the format/codec you are using when capturing video from your
Open Broadcaster Software that Vegas is having a hard time to process efficiently.
I am unfamiliar with whatever that is, so i don't know what to recommend you try, but maybe
an uncompressed format may yield better performance within Vegas.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Auran Kight
on Jun 25, 2016 at 8:49:25 pm

I see! That could definitely be the case. The encoder I use is NVIDIA NVENC, since it gave me the least lag while recording. I wonder if there is a way to change the NVENC settings somehow so that it would be smoother, as I would still like to relieve the lag and frame drops from my recordings.

Return to posts index

Auran Kight
on Jun 26, 2016 at 7:22:59 am

I was able to change the encoder to the normal x264 format for OBS and also managed to get it to a smooth recording, but I am still having this issue. :(

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jun 26, 2016 at 5:39:45 pm

There a bunch of gaming sites that will tell say you only need 2 cores for a good gaming rig. This is not the case with Vegas. I feel like Vegas should have a minimum hardware check at startup which would raise peoples overall experience with Vegas. However, it would also mean they would not sell as many copies, and most laptops would be filtered out in this proess.

The P3240 CPU you are running is not a good match for the GPU GFLOPS you are running, and more than likly you are simply hitting the compuation roof of that CPU very quickly. Editing MP4 source material is like editing all your word docs, and email from a zip folder. Every save or open action needs to be decompressed before editing can be done. This process takes a ton of CPU horsepower. Then your edits need to be applied, the series of frames need to be recompressed back to MP4, and written to a file. This cycles over and over. 99% on your CPU simply means your CPU is the bottle neck and not some other point in your system.

You would see much better render times and overall Vegas performance from even an old Gen4 i7, like a 4770 or 4790 system. Remember also the rule of thumb of 4-8GB or RAM per core.

The GPU you have is doing most of the heavy lifting if you are using NV capture encoder. Then in Vegas its all about the CPU, with more than likely no help from your GPU, this due to NV's poor support for OpenCL. Changing to an AMD 7970, R9 290x, 390X, FuryX or 490X series of GPU would give you a much better experience in Vegas Pro. The X series is nessesary to optimize the amount of compute units, which is different from stream processors. This of course would need atleast a Gen 4 i7 to power it.

Another thing you could try, is to convert all your capture footage to XDCAM-EX 1280x720 in .MXF, then edit that footage on the timeline. When you are done editing, you wold render to that same XDCAM-EX 720 format, and directly upload the file to YouTube or whatever. This may decrease your render times, as XDCAM has less overhead than h.264.

Just some thoughts.

Return to posts index

Wayne Williams
on Jul 1, 2016 at 7:57:57 am

Hi Auran

Generally it is desirable to get as much out of your CPU as possible when you are rendering video, so under normal circumstances that would be a good thing. However, it is well known that Vegas does not use the CPU optimally when rendering, so it is possible there could be another factor at play. Vegas does, however, take advantage of multiple cores and, in this respect, your G3240 will be out performed by even a 1st generation i5. If you want to get the best out of Vegas, you should be running it on at least an i5, preferably an i7. From the information you have provided, you have a 1150 board, so upgrading to a 4th generation i7 or i5 without requiring any other components to be upgraded is still a viable option.

Converting all your capture files to EX 720P MXF, as suggested by Aaron, will definitely help if your issue is purely CPU related.
The following test will confirm:
Render to MXF to create the intermediary copy.
Render to your desired output format from your original and then from the intermediary, noting the time it takes for each.
You will immediately determine whether it is beneficial to convert to an intermediary.
If not, then at least you have excluded one possibility, although I doubt that will be the case.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]