FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas Pro 9 - Half of the Vid FX screens are blocked off

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Madelyn Grey
Sony Vegas Pro 9 - Half of the Vid FX screens are blocked off
on Jun 25, 2016 at 1:29:32 am

I have no idea what happened, but all of a sudden, NONE of my FX windows will show themselves in full. I just get half-screens like this:

I can't edit like this because I can't see what I'm doing! I've tried resetting everything (control + shft), and I've also tried opening a new project. I even tried opening it in Sony Vegas 8 (I also have Pro 9) and it's doing the same thing in there! NOTHING is working, and I don't know what to call the problem, so I can't even google it properly! If anyone has any advice, it'd be more than welcome, because I'm trying to finish something that has a deadline!

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: Sony Vegas Pro 9 - Half of the Vid FX screens are blocked off
on Jun 25, 2016 at 2:04:29 am
Last Edited By Steve Rhoden on Jun 25, 2016 at 2:06:41 am

Firstly, check your video card settings. Or reset it.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Madelyn Grey
on Jun 25, 2016 at 2:20:41 am

I'm not very computer savvy, unfortunately, so I had to look up video card settings to see what you were referring to. I hadn't changed these settings in the past, but I went ahead and hit "restore to default" under a couple of these, and nothing happened. I think they were already on their default settings?

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jun 25, 2016 at 11:35:39 am

Then try disabling the GPU option in Vegas and also disable it on the video card.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Madelyn Grey
on Jun 26, 2016 at 5:12:37 am

It doesn't look like I have a GPU option in Vegas under the video tab:

If it helps seeing it from a different vid FX screen, it almost looks like a grey box is taking up half the space on all the vid FX boxes (the screens for everything else are fine, including pan/crop):

Would a system restore possibly have done this? I attempted a couple system restores a few weeks back (but none of them actually worked).

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jun 26, 2016 at 5:40:23 am

There was no GPU support in Vegas 9 so that's not the issue. Are you using Windows 10 by chance? Seems to me I recall other threads with this same problem in Win 10. Don't know the solution, but a search might be worthwhile.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Madelyn Grey
on Jun 26, 2016 at 5:47:48 am

I'm not using Windows 10, no. I keep getting the annoying upgrade pop-ups, but I haven't hit accept. I have Windows 7 on a 2010 Sony Vaio laptop. I'm not even sure how to google this problem, because it's not really an easily described problem.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jun 26, 2016 at 5:12:57 pm

Have a look at this thread.

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/994492#994492

Try resetting Vegas by starting with Ctrl-Shift keys depressed. If that doesn't work, then I'd try to re-install Vegas completely.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Madelyn Grey
on Jun 28, 2016 at 3:45:26 am

I've tried all of those options (including reinstalling), and the problem is still there. I have no idea what I could have done, because it definitely wasn't prompted. It must be a computer update, but I have no clue how to undo that.

Return to posts index

Madelyn Grey
on Jun 28, 2016 at 3:53:31 am

Alright, hopefully this helps determine whether or not an update is affecting my SV -- these are all the updates my computer has undergone lately:

Return to posts index

Madelyn Grey
on Jun 28, 2016 at 3:56:45 am

And these two, as well (there were quite a few updates):

Return to posts index

Francois Blawat
on Jun 27, 2016 at 2:59:34 pm

Madelyn,

What Wayne suggested should work, but if that does not work you can try to Reset all your Preferences in Vegas by using Ctrl + Shift before you go under the Preferences section. That will reset any "wonky" settings that were saved under the preferences.

The Other question is, have you recently installed any Microsoft Windows updates? Some Updates from Microsoft have caused issues with Vegas and other apps.

I would also look at this website about resetting your Workspace area: http://aquul.com/tutorials/sony-vegas-pro-layout-reset/

Hopefully one of those works. I also have Vegas Pro 9 but I have never had that issue yet. Updating your Video Driver is also a very good idea.

- - - - -
FixitMad

Return to posts index

Madelyn Grey
on Jun 28, 2016 at 3:25:16 am

Unfortunately, I've tried the ctrl + shift suggestion about 5 separate times, and I've also tried resetting the work space area. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I have both SV 8 and SV 9 on my computer. I've had both programs for quite a while now, so I doubt they're cancelling each other out. I loaded SV 8 the other day to see if it's having the same issue as SV 9, and it is. It's affecting both programs, and I don't think reinstalling will fix that. I have my SV 8 disc handy, so I can try uninstalling and reinstalling that in a little while.

Do you know what specific Microsoft updates could have caused this? Because my computer undergoes updates pretty often. I had a My Vaio Care update not too long ago, and some others that I don't know specifically.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jun 28, 2016 at 4:50:43 am

Given the fact it affects all versions of Vegas, it is most likely NOT a Vegas problem. Any idea how long this has been happening? If so, try a system restore to some point before. Whenever Microsoft does an update, it usually creates a restore point. If you can find a restore point on a date prior to when the problems began, you should be able to do a system restore. Hopefully that will eliminate the problem update.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Francois Blawat
on Jun 28, 2016 at 9:11:43 pm

Technically if both Vegas NLE's are on the same system they would share DLL's and other files. On my system (Windows 7 x64) they are located here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\Shared Plug-Ins.

The Other option, once you have made sure you Backed up your .veg files, etc. Is to perform a Vegas Reinstall from the Sony Setup folder under your Program Files folder (Depending on if you have x86 or x64) or the DVD if you have the media. Or if you have none of those options, then you can re-download your version again from SONY (now MAGIX) here: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/updates/vegasfamily

Is there an option to do a Repair of your Vegas Install or a Reinstall on top of your current version?

I cannot provide which update would have caused you an issue, but in the recent past Microsoft Windows updates have caused various issues and removing an installed KB update fixed the issue. ( in the past issues with Office, BSOD, Crashes, etc)

Did you by chance go to your video card manufacturer and see if they have an updated video driver for your specific card? Sometimes again, a newer version can cause issues with video and you would have to revert back to an older version. I typically keep 3 versions of my video drivers in case I find out an issue later on and need to downgrade my video driver. (This happens rarely in my case)

Here are some links for 2 of the video card manufacturers:

nVidia : https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

AMD/ATI : https://support.amd.com/en-us/download

I hope you get this issue resolved.

- - - - -
FixitMad

Return to posts index

Francois Blawat
on Jun 28, 2016 at 9:19:55 pm

Technically if both Vegas NLE's are on the same system they would share DLL's and other files. On my system (Windows 7 x64) they are located here: C:Program Files (x86)SonyShared Plug-Ins.

The Other option, once you have made sure you Backed up your .veg files, etc. Is to perform a Vegas Reinstall from the Sony Setup folder under your Program Files folder (Depending on if you have x86 or x64) or the DVD if you have the media.

Is there an option to do a Repair of your Vegas Install?

I cannot provide which update would have caused you an issue, but in the recent past Microsoft Windows updates have caused various issues and removing an installed KB update fixed the issue. ( in the past issues with Office, BSOD, Crashes, etc)

Did you by chance go to your video card manufacturer and see if they have an updated video driver for your specific card? Sometimes again, a newer version can cause issues with video and you would have to revert back to an older version. I typically keep 3 versions of my video drivers in case I find out an issue later on.

Here are some links for 2 of the video card manufacturers:

nVidia : https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

AMD/ATI : https://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Regarding your screenshot I did not notice earlier:

Since I am still using Windows 7 x64 I follow this:

Here are some KB's I do not allow to be installed because they will 1) Try to install / Update Windows 10 without asking me 2) Allow Microsoft to spy on me similar to what they are doing under Windows 10

This is in no way an official list, just my list I put together from various sources on the Internet:

KB3035583 9-5-2015 Update for Windows 7 x64

KB3022345
KB3075249
KB3080149
KB3068708
KB2952664
KB2976978
KB2977759
KB3123862 - New as of Jan/Feb 2016
KB3139929 - New as of 3-10-2016. This IE updates deploys another KB3146449 which brings Ads to your IE browser! Almost like a Trojan Horse!!!! (my opinion)

Keywords to look for that should tip you off that you most likely will NEED to disable this update if you want to keep Windows 7:

Telemetry
Compatibility Update for upgrading
Get Windows 10 App
Windows 10 Diagnostics Compatibility

Hopefully something works for you. I would try the Video Drivers first, then worry about the KB's I listed above later.

- - - - -
FixitMad

Return to posts index

Madelyn Grey
on Jun 30, 2016 at 4:14:23 am

The problem is, I'm nowhere near comfortable with doing anything to my computer. I don't even know what a video drive is, to be quite honest, so I don't want to d/l or do anything when I'm not even sure what I'm d/ling it for. I use computers all the time, but I don't know how they operate. I also don't know how to find out who my video card manufacturer is. I have a 2010 Sony Vaio, and that's all I really know about the computer. That, and it's 64 bit/Windows 7. I've uninstalled all those KB's you listed, and will restart and see if anything happens.

All of this started happening around the time I did a system restore, actually (even though the system restore failed) so I'm wondering if it had something to do with my messing around. I thought my battery wasn't working, but it turns out I had it set to not charge to save battery life. I was fiddling around with the battery settings and thought I needed to do a system restore. I'm not sure if any of that is responsible for this weird glitch, but if getting rid of the KB's doesn't work, I guess I'll have to try another system restore.

Return to posts index

Francois Blawat
on Jun 28, 2016 at 9:46:31 pm

[ Madelyn Grey]

If you want to perform a Clean Uninstall & Install under Windows 7, please go to these instructions that come directly from Sony creative software's website: https://www.custcenter.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4844/kw/reinstall

I found this under their Knowledge base on Sony's website as well. It talks about Missing keyframe timeline on Video FX, Video Media Generator, or Transitions. Not sure this is related but it should not hurt to read over. Located here: https://www.custcenter.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1030/kw/missing

Sorry for my long post above that got duplicated in part. I could not find the Edit button and it appears it copied my previous data.

- - - - -
FixitMad

Return to posts index

Eric Dettman
on Jun 29, 2016 at 10:03:16 pm

In Windows 10 most users of previous versions of our apps have been able to resolve this type of issue by setting scaling to 100%. Right click on some blank space on your desktop and choose "display settings" - then adjust the slider all the way to the left. It should say 100% (recommended).

MAGIX see.feel.hear.create

Return to posts index

Madelyn Grey
on Jun 30, 2016 at 3:56:18 am

I already have my resolution at 100% (as far as I can tell), so I don't think this is the issue. My bar goes up or down, not right or left, and it was already at the very top (which is the recommended setting).

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jun 30, 2016 at 5:28:24 am

Have you tried using a resolution like 800x600?

Rebooting

Then testing Vegas in the low res to see if the problem persists?

Then switching back to native resolution and testing again?

Are you using the latest video card driver from Nvidia?

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jun 30, 2016 at 5:32:53 am

If you do not know the video card in your Sony Laptop, you can use an app like "Speccy" to tell you the details about your system. That app will tell you the exact detail on your video hardware, and you can easily download the correct driver from NV selections.

Return to posts index

Madelyn Grey
on Jun 30, 2016 at 5:38:20 pm

I haven't tried that. I pulled it up and everything was so huge that I reverted it back to normal, but I guess if that could make it work again, I should try it.

I d/led Speccy, and I don't even see my model listed.
According to Speccy, I have a GeForce GT 425M:

But on the Nvidia website, I don't see that listed anywhere under the drop menu:

I saw that I can system restore to 6/20, but I don't know if that's a safe option for my computer. It probably wouldn't work anyway, since my computer typically fails any time I try to restore beyond a few days.

Return to posts index

Francois Blawat
on Jul 1, 2016 at 3:58:10 pm

[ Madelyn Grey] Since you are using a SONY Vaio laptop, it would be best to get the drivers from SONY Vaio's website.

According to nvidia your notebook original equipment manufacturer (OEM) provides certified drivers for your specific notebook on their website. NVIDIA recommends that you check with your notebook OEM about recommended software updates for your notebook. OEMs may not provide technical support for issues that arise from the use of this driver.

You can find Reference drivers from nVidia with the above disclaimer located here for your graphics model: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/50007 This driver is listed as 306.97.

- - - - -
FixitMad

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jul 1, 2016 at 7:35:28 pm

You can either do what Francois recommends by going to Sonys site, or download the 400M series driver from NVs site. The 400M series driver will work with that laptop. Drivers from the OEM are generally not as up to date as the NV drivers.

About the only reason to go to the OEMs these days is for very custom device integration like cameras, SD card readers, special buttons like media player controls, or unique on screen overlays. Most notebooks use motherboards that follow the chipset design specs to the letter, and an OEM like Sony just fits it inside a custom case. So your NV, Intel, and Realtek drivers will work with the notebook.

Return to posts index

Madelyn Grey
on Jul 1, 2016 at 11:25:35 pm

What exactly does a video driver do, and what will upgrading/downloading a new one do for my computer? I don't understand how this can be linked to the issue, considering how I've been using Sony Vegas Pro 8 for the past 8 years (6 of which having been on this laptop). I've never had this issue until sometime last month, so is something in my video driver possibly malfunctioning and causing it? I'm reluctant to download anything before knowing exactly what it's for.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jul 2, 2016 at 1:56:02 am

In your case, the video driver handles the drawing of the screen on resolutions over 640x480. I cannot speak for everyone that has chimed in, but my feeling is the issue is one of two issues. Either the application (Vegas) is not sending the missing info, or the video driver is not displaying the missing info. This is called a redraw error.

Based on all the things you have tried to reset the application, the next steps I would try are:

Verify that custom scaling options is at 100%

Verify that all Windows updates have been applied, and reboot.

Run "SFC /scannow" from an admin command prompt

Install/re-install an updated video driver, and test if the issue is resolved

If not, Uninstall Vegas, perform a CCleaner scan of the registry, reboot, and reload Vegas. Then test if the problem is resolved.

Something has changed from the time your system worked properly, and the forum is attempting to help you correct this.

Return to posts index

Madelyn Grey
on Jul 6, 2016 at 1:35:49 pm

Okay, thank you, that's a bit clearer. Where would I find the custom scaling options? I haven't seen anything like that before. Is that the same thing as right-clicking on the desktop and setting the screen resolution? Second, I noticed yesterday I keep getting occasional pop-ups of something called Sony Update Manager, but it never does anything. It just comes up with the start of my computer, and then disappears. Could that have something to do with this, too?

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jul 6, 2016 at 7:28:25 pm

try this:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff629368.aspx

see how it goes.

Return to posts index

Madelyn Grey
on Jul 19, 2016 at 3:24:24 am

I think I'm just going to have to grin and bear it with this issue. SV is still usable, but just difficult with certain FX. Anyway, I unfortunately have a new issue that seemed to arise after uninstalling/reinstalling SV 8 (though the problem is also on SV 9, so I'm not sure what's going on).

Basically, even when I set my event pan/crop to widescreen, I still have black bars. And I do NOT want to uncheck maintain aspect ratio, because that stretches out the image/makes it look funky. Any idea on what could be causing this/how to fix it?

Return to posts index

Edward Troxel
on Jul 19, 2016 at 11:56:07 pm

check the "Split Screen" button above the preview screen and turn it OFF

Edward Troxel

Return to posts index

Madelyn Grey
on Jul 22, 2016 at 3:27:09 am

I don't think I've ever turned the split screen feature on. What fixed it (in SV 9 only) was changing my rendering settings. Somehow, they had reset. But now in SV 8, I still can't get it to work right, and I'm unsure of what the default wmv settings are. It looks normal when editing (no black bars on the side:

But then if I start rendering, it does a letterbox type thing where it's all black bars:

What should my wmv settings be? I always go for whatever the standard, run of the mill wmv settings are because I just like to render full movies into clips for easier editing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]