FORUMS: list search recent posts

Normalizing audio of tracks

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
leonardo barone
Normalizing audio of tracks
on Jun 14, 2016 at 5:09:11 pm

I use vegas for make short films, when I finish to filming, I put all the parts together and I render, but before I need to adjust the audio level of the single tracks because usually some are lower or highter, usually I create four or five audiotracks and set the audio level that I prefer for a single track, I wonder if there is a faster way for do it.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: Normalizing audio of tracks
on Jun 14, 2016 at 6:55:35 pm

Couple of ways to do this. If you have Vegas Pro 13, you can create a loudness log for each track (making sure track is soloed) and then adjust so they are all the same. Or, if you have Sound Forge, you could open a copy of each track and then normalize using whatever level you want. Working at the event level, I prefer using the Sound Forge approach. Open copy in the editor, normalize, and then save as a Take. These approaches more or less "get you in the ball park". You still may have to manually "fine tune" certain portions of each track using a volume envelope.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Jun 16, 2016 at 5:47:12 pm

You can normalize the audio right in Vegas. Right click the vav, switches, normalize.

Danny Hays
Samples of my Work can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ErnestDaniels/videos?view_as=public

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Jun 14, 2016 at 6:56:05 pm

One thing you didn't tell us is what you are recording your audio with? Are you using the cameras onboard inputs? If so are they XLR or something else? Are you using an external recorder, micing people separately or using a boom mic? All these aspects are good to know and so forth.
That all bring said, what you are doing is the way to do it for the most part. Depending on what you are using to record the audio for the clips, they will vary. If you try to set your gain to a specific level each time you shoot, that should help. But adjusting individual levels is common. One GREAT thing about Vegas (and why many of us NEED to use it) is that we can use a ton of audio tracks and also FX on them, inserts, group them and so for, since Vegas started as an DAW (Digital Audio Workstation).
One thing you can do that may help (if you are not doing so now), is to compress and EQ your audio tracks, that is always a good place to start to get levels comparable, as well as in the frequencies you are using. If I am using a music bed, and have vocals over top, I will not only duck the volume level of the MB when necessary, but I will dip the EQ in the vocal range area to help the vocals sit "in the mix."

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]