FORUMS: list search recent posts

Magix software

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Star
Magix software
on Jun 13, 2016 at 11:38:13 pm

Has anyone else downloaded trials of the magix software? The UI design, and what Magix considers to be pro input and output concerns me. They basically will do pretty much any pro format on input with pro x, but only do specific non pro formats like h264 on output. That is what I consider consumer grade software.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: Magix software
on Jun 14, 2016 at 1:46:08 am

That is nothing to be concerned over Aaron, Vegas collection is not gonna follow any of that trend...
And will also help them to step up their game.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Jun 14, 2016 at 1:38:40 pm

You're not alone Aaron, but, like Steve I put stock in what Vegas already has in place for codec license. Do not fear or get upset, there are some really kickass solutions out that right now for free. Meanwhile give the folks at Magix a chance, at least they are willing to try and carry the ball. However should there be but a slight hint at a subscription model.... all bets are off for me.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jun 14, 2016 at 4:38:33 pm

Russ, no need to worry about a subscription model at least for now, they clearly mention that they are
not going down that route at all....

Film Maker & VFX Artist.

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Jun 15, 2016 at 6:29:20 am

Well Steve, it's been mentioned Magix will need to visit my machine once per month to check licenses and that's a deal breaker for me.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jun 15, 2016 at 12:16:17 pm
Last Edited By Steve Rhoden on Jun 15, 2016 at 12:24:36 pm

Visiting your system once per month for validation is not a subscription payment plan Russ.
But i will admit, i really do not like that method of software validation still.

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Jun 16, 2016 at 4:37:34 pm

[Steve Rhoden] "Visiting your system once per month for validation is not a subscription"

Yes Steve it is not a subscription and I do not mean to imply that it is. There are several reasons I take umbrage with this sales tactic, for once again as Mr Rofrano, has mentioned before, the customer is in fact and therefore is to be treated as a criminal and as such must be kept under close scrutiny at all times. Now before anyone sets their hair on fire, allow me to state that I don't assess in any way that the top brass or anyone at Magix assumes it's new customers garnered from SCS to be thieves, After all, each user on the list hold claim and has proof of a valid purchased licence. But this is something even more insidious. I am beginning to suspect that Magix purchased Vegas from Sony solely for the customer info and direct access to their machine[s] ultimately to circumvent the anti spam laws in use at the users location, allowing the delivery of spam directly to their desktop. If the statement of "delivery of spam directly to their desktop" is offensive and the term target marketing is agreeable then I will rephrase and call it target marketing. However no matter how much lipstick is put on the pig, it is still a pig. I mean no disrespect to pigs. After spending years and a lot of doe getting my boutique to look and feel like a contender, the last thing I need is to have a popup appear informing me of the latest offerings from a vendor. Yes I said vendor for it need not be Magix exclusive ad but may include third party offerings leaving the door open for anyone who pays for the access to your desktop.

But hey, what do I know. I am but a dumb artist who runs a boutique and these are merely musings on what could be but one of many scenarios that may or may not play out. Still were I to be asked, I'd answer, "I could be mistaken but it looks like a pig to me".
Russ Froze
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jun 16, 2016 at 4:58:31 pm
Last Edited By Steve Rhoden on Jun 16, 2016 at 5:02:40 pm

Well, we can all rest assured now, because Magix has now cleared the air, as this method has changed and is/was
for previous software...

Film Maker & VFX Artist.

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Jun 16, 2016 at 5:19:39 pm

Yes we can.
RF

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Jun 14, 2016 at 2:14:27 pm

The Pro X version trial has various AVI codec like CineForm, YUV, Blackmagic, etc. As you state, I don't see any ProRes or DNx codec and others. I'm not concerned this will effect future Vegas Pro releases. I think Magix will explore features in Magix that Vegas doesn't have and features in Vegas that Magix doesn't have. How much they integrate them in the future, we don't know yet. I think they will be smart about how much they intermingle.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Francois Blawat
on Jun 14, 2016 at 8:36:29 pm

Aaron,

I was just reading on Magix's website about their software registration and that the fact that products with something called a P3 serial number program requires an Internet connection at least once a month to to validate the license. "Once a month" to validate the license???? This almost sounds like what Steam requires for games and that is why I avoid any Steam related games.

Here is the link:
Website: http://www.magix.com/us/support/technical-support/#c69706

I like to use my video editing system Offline and I hope this is NOT what Vegas Pro will be going to once the transfer has completed!

Magix, please update my question regarding if Yes this is what Magix is planning on doing or if No, it will be kept the same as it is now.

Thanks.

- - - - -
FixitMad

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Jun 15, 2016 at 6:24:33 am

[Francois Blawat] "something called a P3 serial number program requires an Internet connection at least once a month to to validate the license. "

Well that leaves me out, my customers value their privacy ain't happening in my Studio so I guess it's Good Bye Vegas, Hello multi platform Resolve or Lightworks and yes even Videolan is developing a free NLE
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Francois Blawat
on Jun 15, 2016 at 1:23:28 pm

@Russ Froze

I was only mentioning that Magix currently uses that with some of their products that use something called the P3 serial. I just want Magix to confirm they will NOT be going this route with Vegas Pro and the other software they purchased from Sony Creative Software.

If they are, I am certainly thinking twice about what I will be going to.

- - - - -
FixitMad

Return to posts index

Eric Dettman
on Jun 16, 2016 at 3:33:48 pm

In 2015 the MAGIX activation requirements changed, and while initial activation does require internet access, users are no longer obligated to be online once per month for license validation. The requirement to be online once per month is still communicated on the MAGIX web site as people are still using versions of the software which did use that system.

MAGIX see.feel.hear.create

Return to posts index

Francois Blawat
on Jun 16, 2016 at 5:07:42 pm

Hi Eric,

Thank you for confirming that as users we will not be Obligated to be online once a month for license validation. Does this mean though, that in 6 months, the software will ask for Internet connection or does this mean once we activate the software we are "good to go"?

- - - - -
FixitMad

Return to posts index

Eric Dettman
on Jun 16, 2016 at 7:40:23 pm

The only time internet access is required is for the initial activation. The only time you would be required to access the internet again is if you reinstall the program.

MAGIX see.feel.hear.create

Return to posts index

Francois Blawat
on Jun 16, 2016 at 9:20:18 pm

Thanks Eric for confirming my 2nd question.

I am Super excited to see what happens in the world of Vegas Pro with Magix!

Thanks again for replying!!!!!!!!

- - - - -
FixitMad

Return to posts index

Michael West
on Jun 19, 2016 at 2:16:24 am

While I hate the online method of checking software and hate being treated like a criminal, the honor system clearly doesn't work, much to our collective chagrin. The choice is whether to let a software developer have a reasonable method of confirming valid software or have them treat you like you wish and go out of business. Just the facts.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]