FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trouble with cropping images

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Auran Kight
Trouble with cropping images
on Jun 12, 2016 at 11:55:54 pm

Hello, I just recently started using Sony Vegas Pro 13, and while I have experience using the software, most of my prior experience was with Pro 11. It's been a bit since then, so I wanted to know about this issue I've been having. When I try to pan/crop images to move them, they get cut off. This was also an issue I had when I first started using Pro 11, but I seem to remember fixing it at some point and I never had to deal with it ever again. However, I can't remember what it is I did. Now, I did look this issue up extensively before well and truly giving into making my own post about it, but everything I found said to "match output aspect." I've tried this multiple times, and it zooms up super close on the image, which is not what I am trying to do. When I zoom back out, I have the same issue. So essentially I get right back where I started and I really feel stuck. If anyone can help me solve this issue for good, I would very much appreciate it!

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
Re: Trouble with cropping images
on Jun 13, 2016 at 9:38:18 am

RIght click in the middle of the Pan/Crop window and select Match Output Aspect. Now move as desired :)

Return to posts index

Phil Peacock
on Jun 13, 2016 at 9:52:27 am

For what you are trying to achieve it sounds as though you should be using a separate track and then the track motion button as shown below. See if that helps. Cheers.

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Jun 13, 2016 at 5:50:53 pm

(When I try to pan/crop images to move them, they get cut off. )
Event pan and crop cannot be used to move the event on the canvas. Use the track motion for the track the cropped event is on. Danny

Danny Hays
Samples of my Work can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ErnestDaniels/videos?view_as=public

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jun 13, 2016 at 5:56:12 pm

[Danny Hays] "Event pan and crop cannot be used to move the event on the canvas."

Danny, I respectfully beg to differ with you as I do it all the time and move events anywhere I want them to go.
With keyframes, I can do even more when it comes to movement.

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Jun 13, 2016 at 7:02:46 pm

Wow. I stand corrected. I have always used event pan crop to select a smaller area of an event, like a 4k event in a 1080 project where i can select 1/4 of the image, use keyframes to move that fourth to different areas of the 4k event and it will be 1920 x 1080. I have never tried making the cropping area larger than the event and move it on the canvas. Thanks for the information. :-)

Danny Hays
Samples of my Work can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ErnestDaniels/videos?view_as=public

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jun 13, 2016 at 7:09:09 pm

Not a problem. As I said, I've used this for logos, stills and videos when I have to shrink and move them around.
I find it easier than Track Motion most of the time because I don't have to worry about extra keyframes messing me up :)

Return to posts index

Auran Kight
on Jun 13, 2016 at 10:28:04 pm

Would you be willing to share your process with me? I have been trying to follow all of the advice on this thread, but I can't wrap my head around how I could properly position these things before with no problem.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jun 14, 2016 at 10:53:28 am

Not sure if you're asking me but I'll do my best to help you.

In your original post you said "Now, I did look this issue up extensively before well and truly giving into making my own post about it, but everything I found said to "match output aspect." I've tried this multiple times, and it zooms up super close on the image, which is not what I am trying to do. When I zoom back out, I have the same issue."

The fact that it zooms in super close tells me that the image is a lot larger than your project settings.
I have a similar issue with my company logos as they're in the range or 4,000 x 4,00 pixels and most of my projects are 1920x1080.
As others have said, Track Motion can be used and I have used it a few times but I'm an old dog and I prefer to use Pan/Crop :)

Be advised that any event (still or video) that you use Track Motion on is instantly changed to your project properties. What that means is that your 3,000 x 4,000 pixel event is now (for example) 1920x1080. Great for zooming out but not for zooming in as you've lost that extra resolution that Pan/Crop maintains.

I use Pan/Crop to do "Match Output Aspect" and then zoom out as much as I need to to get my event to the proper size. After that I reposition it as needed.
On rare occasions (if the image is far too large) I've brought it into Photoshop and resized it smaller.

Not sure if this answers your question but that's what I do.

Return to posts index

Auran Kight
on Jun 14, 2016 at 10:55:40 am

Yes, it was directed towards you! Thank you very much; this makes a lot more sense now :)

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jun 14, 2016 at 11:00:30 am

You're very welcome Auran. Always glad to help. Happy editing :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]