FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Track Vol sliders? How should these be set?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff David
Audio Track Vol sliders? How should these be set?
on Jan 20, 2016 at 2:16:33 am

I am trying to figure out what to do w the hmm not sure what it's called, the "slider" or "scrubber"?

I.e. the control slider that you see in the left bottom corner of MS in the audio track and it says:

Vol: then there is the slider and Pan: then to the right of that is:

Center and a slider.

So the last one to the right and in this sentence I believe simply balances the l and r speakers but how should the other ones be set?

I've been doing an audio track voice over and never even paid attention to those things and just would open up ms and start voice over. Yea - not good.

So now I am paying attention to them and I have two audio tracks sound and voice and I notice one is set to -4.4db and the other -6.4 db.

Should they maybe be set to 0?

What happens if you are recording voice over audio on say 10 different days and those sliders are not always set the way they were the first day you recorded? DOes it throw the rest of the voice over recorded on other days off so they don't match?

Everything recorded for the voice over seems to sound at the same level and ok so I think I am worrying over nothing?

I guess the point is you can turn up the volume and turn it down using those sliders.

But then there are a bunch other ways of controlling the sound too such as the Master Bus? What is the purpose of having the Masterbus doesn't it do the same as the other sliders, i.e. control volume?

then you can also set the sound levels in the microphone by going

control panel, sound, right clicking the mic, properties and adjust LEVELS.

THEN there ALSO is the volume mixer??

Wtheck?

I am having trouble understanding how all this diff sound thingys' should be set and coordinated?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Lenovo quad core i7 16gb of ram, Windows 8.1 MS 13 64 bit Thumbnail is view out of the Olde North Church window where the signal lanterns were hung, as in, "1 if by land 2 if by sea" looking across the Charles River to the Charlestown Naval Yard where rebels awaited the signal April 18th, 1775.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Audio Track Vol sliders? How should these be set?
on Jan 23, 2016 at 1:17:05 am

[Jeff David] "So now I am paying attention to them and I have two audio tracks sound and voice and I notice one is set to -4.4db and the other -6.4 db. Should they maybe be set to 0?"
That depends on how loud the audio is on the tracks. You can start at zero but if the audio is too loud you should turn it down or if it's too low you should turn it up. You should use it to adjust the volume of your tracks to your liking.
[Jeff David] "What happens if you are recording voice over audio on say 10 different days and those sliders are not always set the way they were the first day you recorded? DOes it throw the rest of the voice over recorded on other days off so they don't match? "
Nothing happens because the track volume faders are for playback only. You can have them set to -Infinity or +12.0 db and it won't affect the recording one bit... only the playback.
[Jeff David] "I guess the point is you can turn up the volume and turn it down using those sliders."
Yes, but only for playback... not recording.
[Jeff David] "But then there are a bunch other ways of controlling the sound too such as the Master Bus? What is the purpose of having the Masterbus doesn't it do the same as the other sliders, i.e. control volume? "
The Master Bus is the sum of all of the tracks. You would use the volume on the individual tracks to balance the volume against each other, and the Master Bus to adjust the overall volume of all of the tracks. It also allows you do perform tasks like fade in and fade out because it controls all of the audio tracks at once.
[Jeff David] "then you can also set the sound levels in the microphone by going control panel, sound, right clicking the mic, properties and adjust LEVELS."
Yes, that controls the recoding volume which is why Vegas Pro does not. If you want to make your mic louder or softer you would do it in the mixer of your recording device. If you are using the build-in Windows device then you would do it in the Windows audio mixer.
[Jeff David] "I am having trouble understanding how all this diff sound thingys' should be set and coordinated?"
Hopefully I've given you some insight into how all of his works. Of course, teaching sound mixing is beyond a forum post but if you have more questions, feel free to ask. That's how we all learn.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Jan 23, 2016 at 3:42:16 am

Wow - yes that really does help John! Once again- thanks for the post. Yes - I understand it all better now. I was totally confused what all the diff controls were. I understand now! Awesome lesson once again!

Lenovo quad core i7 16gb of ram, Windows 8.1 MS 13 64 bit Thumbnail is view out of the Olde North Church window where the signal lanterns were hung, as in, "1 if by land 2 if by sea" looking across the Charles River to the Charlestown Naval Yard where rebels awaited the signal April 18th, 1775.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 23, 2016 at 12:43:42 pm

Great! Glad I could help.

~jr

http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Jul 5, 2016 at 2:47:50 am

Hello John,

I wanted to give you a shout out and just say thanks for all of the help and excellent advice and coaching you've provided!

I have not been here in awhile as I started a new job in Feb. and it's all consuming.

I haven't had much time to work on my project as the new job is so extensive and involved.

However, I've squeaked in a few times to work on my project.

As I've mentioned before it's 90% done and my goal and dream is to finish it.

I just need to green screen in my parts. It's done but for the parts that I want to be on screen narrating.

I have an entire green screen set up John, but it's taken a lot of trial and error as regards the lighting.

I think I may have it now after many lighting tweaks but I am only able to work on it at limited times.

Anyways, I will finish it if it's the last thing do!

Anyways, your help has been extremely beneficial and I want to thank you for that!

Of course I'll send you a copy when the project is completed and I hope to meet you in-person one day!

You're coaching has just been incredible and I can't tell you how grateful I am for that!

Best Wishes!

Jeff

Jeff

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 5, 2016 at 5:00:16 pm

Hi Jeff, Thanks for the kind words. It's nice to know my efforts are appreciated.

As for Green Screen Lighting. You want to have two sets of lights. On to light the green screen and a completely different set to light the talent. The Green Screen lights should be soft lighting (soft box or florescents). At least two, one on each side, to light the screen evenly. Use the Zebras on your camera to ensure even coverage. The separate set of lights on the talent should include a backlight or "hair light" as it's sometimes called, to light them from behind. This will help separate them from the background. Adding a Magenta Gell to the backlight will help neutralize any green spill. I like to also light my talent with a soft box as the key and a white bounce card as the fill but light them any way you'd like to fit the scene you will place them in after the keying. Remember the light source on the talent needs to match the light source of the background that you will key in later. Finally keep the talent sufficiently in front of the green screen so as to avoid green spill. You will thank yourself in post. ;-)

Those are just some tips off the top of my head.

~jr

http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Sep 23, 2016 at 6:16:42 pm

Hi John,

I've finally found some time to work on my project and am back.

Thanks for the coaching on the green screen. I pretty much had done what you said, after much trial and error and looking at some youtube green screen tutorials.

Yup - I have fluorescent lights lighting the green screen - I hung then vertically from some stands I bought, one on each side pointed at the green screen.

After much trial and error I broke down and bought the Pro master VL0380 Led studio lighting kit for $500.

https://jet.com/product/detail/1e4a99d31f14412a9260bf3ca77fbe50?jcmp=pla:gg...

This was after literally spending $300 or so on various lights from Home Depot!

The issue was the shadow - I could not arrange the home depot lights so as to avoid a shadow no matter how much a tried. This literally went on over a period of months - albeit only brief periods spent here and there.

When I bought the pro lights, I still had the shadow problem until it hit me one day USE THE SHADOW BOXES!! DUH!!

I finally realized what they were for and it fixed the shadow problem and I was able to green screen myself in with no problem spots - unlike before.

So I have the flourescent lights on the green screen and the pro lights w shadow boxes lighting me.

I have just a regular lamp I bought at Home Depot back lighting me. Using a 120 watt LED spotlight bulb.

Maybe this is wrong? I see where you said to have the "light source on the talent needs to match the light source of the background".

Hmm so I take that to mean if i am using fluorescents on the green screen then use the same to backlight me.

Ok I have an extra fluorescent and I can hang it vertical and backlight myself that way. NP.

Now that I was able to get the green screen effect to work w out any issues, I'll be

I read about the Gells and suppose I should get some but don't have any yet.

I built a teleprompter that I can shoot through the glass so as to be looking directly at the camera.

So all I have left to do is my part of the voice over which I'm about to start!

As usual, thanks for all the help!!

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Sep 23, 2016 at 6:40:01 pm

[Jeff David] "I see where you said to have the "light source on the talent needs to match the light source of the background".

Hmm so I take that to mean if i am using fluorescents on the green screen then use the same to backlight me."
No, I wasn't clear. When I said "background" I meant the video or still image background that you would key into the frame on your timeline. For example: if you have a background with the light coming from the left casting shadows to the right... you do not want to place your key light on the right, causing shadows to your face on the left. Likewise if there is a light above on the left in your background shot, you do not want to place the hair light on the right (i.e, it needs to go on the left to match the natural light in the background shot.

Sorry I wasn't clearer in my regional post.

You do still have to match the color temperature of indoor lighting and outdoor lighting. Nothing screams "green screen shot" more than when the background is outdoors, lit with natural blue light and you are shooting indoors with orange incandescent light.

So color temp and position are the things to match with the background plate on your key.

~jr

http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Sep 23, 2016 at 11:39:42 pm

Wow - another valuable great lesson! As usual!

Now that you mention it, I did read about that awhile ago but it did not register until just now when you explained it.

OK - I got it now!

Thanks a million!

Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]