FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I change the background color when a picture does not fill an entire frame?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff David
Can I change the background color when a picture does not fill an entire frame?
on Jan 20, 2016 at 1:38:39 am

I am not sure if I asked this question before. If I did my apologies but I forget the answer and did not see it in my posts so maybe I did not post it.

I have been using pictures in the public domain for another video I have been working on. Some of the pictures do not fill the frame in MovieStudio and when rendered. So as you know, you see black on the sides of the picture which is not as pleasing as if there was no black and I think makes the video look less professional?

I know I can right click on the vid clip, properties, uncheck maintain apsect ratio, and select disalble resample and that will eliminate the black and not distort the picture too much but that of course works mostly w pictures that are only showing a little black and oblong in shape vs pictures that are, "taller" if you follow - kind of hard to explain but tall and slender pictures are distorted too much when using that method.

I also know I can do Video Event FX, and change the preset to

square
4:3 Standard
16:9 Widescreen

And some of those will make the picture fill the preview window but you lose parts of the picture I prefer not to lose. Of course, I am guessing if I make the setting 4:3 then it won't fill the tv screen when viewed on tv or some similar problem?

Sooo is there another way to just leave the picture as is, and change the background color from black to a color that more closely blends with the colors in the picture? I.e. so say the picture is mostly orange, make the back ground i.e. the sides showing through black - make them orange?

That would be cool.

I am thinking I could just print the pictures off, lay them on colored paper that matches the color in the pictures and re-videotape them.

I have had good luck video taping pictures out of books (in the public domain) and having them show well when rendered.

So I could print the pictures and match them w colored paper but that would be a lot of work.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Lenovo quad core i7 16gb of ram, Windows 8.1 MS 13 64 bit Thumbnail is view out of the Olde North Church window where the signal lanterns were hung, as in, "1 if by land 2 if by sea" looking across the Charles River to the Charlestown Naval Yard where rebels awaited the signal April 18th, 1775.

Return to posts index

john bolton
Re: Can I change the background color when a picture does not fill an entire frame?
on Jan 20, 2016 at 8:29:52 am

You can make insert a new Video track beneath the still image and then from the Media Generator tab, select a Solid colour and drag it to the position underneath the image and adjust its length to suit.

Return to posts index

Jeff David
Re: Can I change the background color when a picture does not fill an entire frame?
on Jan 20, 2016 at 12:17:08 pm

Awesome! Cool! Thank you so much!!

Lenovo quad core i7 16gb of ram, Windows 8.1 MS 13 64 bit Thumbnail is view out of the Olde North Church window where the signal lanterns were hung, as in, "1 if by land 2 if by sea" looking across the Charles River to the Charlestown Naval Yard where rebels awaited the signal April 18th, 1775.

Return to posts index

Phil Peacock
on Jan 20, 2016 at 10:09:09 am

Hi Jeff. What a lot of editors do in this situation is to have the background match the image/footage 'exactly' except that it is enlarged and blurred so as not to distract.
To do this, copy the video track to below your main track, use the crop/pan to enlarge it however you want, and then add some Gaussian blur to create the effect you want.
Much neater and less imposing than a continuously colour-changing background to match your images.
Try it, it's very simple and effective. Cheers.

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Jan 20, 2016 at 12:16:20 pm

Awesome!! Cool! Thanks so much!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]