FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Render options settings

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Hughes
Video Render options settings
on Nov 14, 2015 at 11:54:18 am

This may be a pretty simple Q (I think) - I must be just missing something in my understanding.

When I have finished editing and go to 'Render As' ... (I'll use example of MPEG2 template below)

This pops up and I can customise as necessary ........ however if I leave Bit rate as set........ I can move the video quality slider from mid position to 'High '
The other end of scale being 'Low'

What is actually changing ? as Bit rate is not altering ? and if the bitrate is not changing why would anybody want anything other than quality set to High ?
If you wanted lower quality, would assume you would drop frame size and/or bitrate.
I did initially think it was speed of Render ... but the tick box 'Prioritize quality over speed' would seem to be option for that.

I am obviously not understanding something - anyone care to educate me ?

Template example:

Return to posts index

Jorma Nippala
Re: Video Render options settings
on Nov 14, 2015 at 12:20:26 pm

Rick,
click the "?" in the Template Settings window to see the SCS reasonings on the various settings including "Prioritize quality over speed" and "Video quality".
Read also the bit on "Full-resolution rendering quality" in Help > Setting Project Properties > Video.

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on Nov 14, 2015 at 1:04:52 pm

Didn't know the ? symbol bought up specific info .. thought it was general 'help' menu only - thanks for that.

OK .. think I follow - the video files size, bit rate, frame rate will be unchanged ... but how the codec treats the data is what it impacts.

Still don't understand why you would ever want an MPEG2 file lower quality than 'best' if all other parameters don't change ?

Also to follow this though - if in project properties you have set "Full resolution rendering quality" to Best ... does that overrule this slider, or does the slider make the properties setting almost irrelevant ?

Return to posts index

Jorma Nippala
on Nov 14, 2015 at 1:14:26 pm

From Help > Setting project properties (Video):
"Some file formats allow you to associate a video rendering quality setting with a custom rendering template. Final rendering template settings override the Full-resolution rendering quality setting in the Project Properties dialog."

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on Nov 14, 2015 at 6:23:50 pm

Looking at the template again ... I have another Q on settings.
I am unclear what I should set for Level it is default to 'High'
With the option to set Level to: HIGH, HIGH 1440, Main or Low

The help files quote:
High Level
HDTV production rates: 1920 x 1080 x 30 Hz

High 1440 Level
HDTV consumer rates: 1440 x 960 x 30 Hz

Main Level
Main Level CCIR 601 rates: 720 x 480 x 30 Hz

Low Level
SIF video rate: 352 x 240 x 30 Hz

We recommend using the Main Level setting if you’re creating MPEG files for NTSC or PAL DVDs or SVCDs. Change this setting only when required by specialized production environments.

It does not mention Blu-ray at 25fps ... but on frame size would I be correct in leaving Level set to HIGH

Return to posts index

Jorma Nippala
on Nov 14, 2015 at 8:07:33 pm

AFAIK, High Profile would give greater quality at the same bitrate, but Main Profile is less complex.
My BDs are 1920x1080, so I go with the default Level setting as well as with the default Profile setting.

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on Nov 14, 2015 at 9:39:34 pm

I'll do the same as well

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on Nov 16, 2015 at 6:01:54 pm

Just finished rendering out all the videos for this project (and might have screwed up)

I had settings as per the template shown above (but with slider now set to High)

When I dropped into DVDA studio I noticed that this is then set to produce 1920x1080 25i - with no option to choose 25p
When I started down this route I had advice to use the 50i 'Render as' template .. explanation that it would be 2 identical frames would produce the 25 fps I wanted to end up with.

I want this to be full 1080p ....
Looking at MediaInfo it shows the output files are 25fps interlaced. Should I have set template to 25 fps progressive?
I thought (maybe incorrectly) Blu-ray spec need this to be 50i interlaced and it converted to 25p

Here is the DVDA properties:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]