FORUMS: list search recent posts

Retreiving older projects?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Cooper
Retreiving older projects?
on Oct 21, 2015 at 2:38:16 pm

I am currently using Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12. I notice when I click on Project in the top left hand corner, a drop down menu appears and on the bottom of this menu is a list of projects that I have created. However, it only lists the last six projects that I have worked on. I would like to access a project that is considerably older than those six. If I click on Project, then Open, there are a few projects available (not many) and a bunch of audio files that I have added to various projects. Just wondering how I can locate all the past projects that have been created with Movie Studio?

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
Re: Retreiving older projects?
on Oct 21, 2015 at 2:46:43 pm

Hopefully each project is in its own folder. Then all you have to go is look in that folder for the project file. I keep several old projects on removable hard drives and a sub-folder with my project files is always a part of the master project folder.

Return to posts index

Patrick Cooper
on Oct 21, 2015 at 3:23:17 pm

Ah okay but the question is - where are the folders? Ive no idea where Sony Movie Studio stores those. Ive located a bunch of individual video clips which Movie Studio has used in various projects but not the projects themselves.

Return to posts index

Patrick Cooper
on Oct 21, 2015 at 3:31:30 pm

I'll add that when I save a project in Movie Studio, Ive no idea whereabouts on my computer it is saved. And I'm assuming it's saving all the individual edits, audio etc within that project. I also gather that the project would stored as a file of some kind but I don't know what kind of file that would be.

Return to posts index

Patrick Cooper
on Oct 21, 2015 at 3:39:25 pm

Woops! I think Ive found it. I stumbled across a folder on my C drive which has a large selection of projects which Ive created with Sony Movie Studio. They all have a .vf file extension.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Oct 21, 2015 at 4:19:17 pm

You got it. That's the project file for Movie Studio.
Do yourself a favour and practice good folder management.
I use Vegas Pro but the same things should apply to Movie Studio.

I never use the default program settings for temp file location.
I always create or modify the locations that Vegas uses.
For example, the default Temp folder is something like C:/My Documents.
The only thing on my drive C is programs and that's it. Everything else (emails, pictures, folders for Vegas, Photoshop, etc. is on drive D or E. If you don't have a second drive on your computer, install one (at least a 1 TB. drive). They're very cheap these days and will make your life a lot easier when it comes time to make backups of anything. If you can't install an internal, then use an external (USB 3 please for the speed)).
Go through Vegas and change the default locations of everything you can find.

When it comes to to new projects, create a master folder and label it appropriately.
Here's a screenshot of a master folder for a project I'm currently working on.

This is only one example so feel free to modify it to suit your needs.
For example, I often have separate folders for music, graphics and voice overs but they weren't needed here so I didn't bother creating them.
Instead of clicking "Save" for a project, I always do a "Save As", give it a specific name and version number and save it in my ProjectFiles folder. This particular one has 14 different versions because I kept making changes as the project went along. This allows me to go back to an older version I want if I'm not happy with the current one.

Return to posts index

Patrick Cooper
on Oct 21, 2015 at 11:54:00 pm

I think I would definitely prefer your workflow. It would make life so much easier, especially when looking for older content. Very well organised.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Oct 22, 2015 at 12:26:55 am

Thanks. I can't take the credit for doing it that way. I read it on a Vegas forum a long time ago and it made a lot of sense to do it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]