FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing mini dv tape - Vegas Pro vs Windows Movie Maker

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Denford
Capturing mini dv tape - Vegas Pro vs Windows Movie Maker
on Sep 29, 2015 at 11:39:37 am

Hi,

I have some old mini dv wedding footage that I'd like to put onto a dvd or Blu ray disc. I have Vegas Pro 11 and Windows Movie Maker. Which of the 2 programs would provide the best results in picture quality? What settings would be recommended?

Any help will be appreciated...

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Capturing mini dv tape - Vegas Pro vs Windows Movie Maker
on Sep 29, 2015 at 12:27:21 pm

[Michael Denford] "I have Vegas Pro 11 and Windows Movie Maker. Which of the 2 programs would provide the best results in picture quality?"
What do you plan to edit with? If you plan to edit with Vegas Pro then you should capture with Vegas Pro. Windows Movie Maker will create WMV files which are a horrible format to work with in Vegas. Vegas Pro will create DV AVI files.
[Michael Denford] "What settings would be recommended?"
There are no "settings" because DV is a digital format so the data is copied from the tape to your hard drive unaltered. It is not really a "capture" like with analog tape but we still use that term. It's a straight digital copy. What's on the tape is bit-for-bit what's in the file.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Michael Denford
on Sep 29, 2015 at 10:19:23 pm

Thanks again for your reply John. Yes, I will be using Vegas Pro to edit, so I'll do the capture in Vegas. Cheers John.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Sep 29, 2015 at 12:29:16 pm

As long as you capture it in DV-AVI (the native format), the quality should be the same with both programs as all you're doing is transferring digital data from the source tape(s) to your hard drive.
Once you get the footage into Vegas, then render it out in MPEG-2 and AC-3 formats for DVD authoring and creation.
If you have less than 70 minutes of video, I always use a custom MPEG-2 template set to a CBR of 8,000,000. Anything longer and I use a VBR with settings determined by the use of bitrate calculator. This has been discussed here numerous times so a search will reveal the proper techniques to use.
Use the default AC-3 template.
Render both to the same folder and give them the same name. That way, when you go into DVD Architect, load the video file and the audio will follow automatically.

Return to posts index

Michael Denford
on Sep 29, 2015 at 10:22:02 pm

Thanks Mike for your advice here. I'll do the capture to DV AVI. Thanks for your bit rate suggestions also. Very much appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]