FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why is sound level not consistent?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff David
Why is sound level not consistent?
on Sep 6, 2015 at 3:12:08 am

I noticed that the sound I record, is at different levels of loudness. Now what I do, is plug in the mic usb cord when the computer is off and then turn it on and that seems to allow the sound to be louder/at a higher level.

Before noticing a diff in the sound levels, I would just plug in the mic usb cord after the computer was already turned on.

Something else which seems to insure the microphone records at the higher level (vs a lower sound) is if I do OPTIONS, PREFERENCES, AUDIO DEVICE AND RESET THE default audio device to the mic I am using. It is already set to that mic but for some reason resetting it seems to set it at the higher level.

Often, next to the mic name in the DEFAULT AUDIO DEVICE there is a number i.e. 1, 2 sometimes 5? What does the number indicate? Is it indicating the usb port I am using?

Also, I have some 3.0 usb ports and a 2.0 port but using the 2.0 port seems to insure the higher sound level?

When recording sound, I make sure all of the settings are the same and I keep my mouth the same distance from the mic, i.e. right up close to it, so that the answer can't be that the settings etc are different.

I know w one of my usb ports, I lose the connection to the hard drive if i move it the wrong way.

I wonder if perhaps a slight wiggle room in the usb port might have anything to do w it? Of course, I alwasy try to make sure the usb plug is in correctly.

Lenovo quad core i7 16gb of ram, Windows 8.1 MS 13 64 bit

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Why is sound level not consistent?
on Sep 6, 2015 at 6:35:37 pm

Does your computer have a built-in mic? Perhaps with a web cam? Could it be that you are actually recording from this other mic when it's low and then once your USB mic is selected it starts working as it should? What you're describing fits that scenario.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Sep 10, 2015 at 5:55:33 pm

Thanks John. I should have mentioned, I am using the AT2020 usb that I bought.

Most all of the time I check the Options, Preferences, Audio device and make sure that the at2020 is selected.

Can I swear I did that every time? No but frequently.

Also, it seems as though when I plugged the mic usb cord in, when my computer was on, that was when the sound was lower.

Then I started turning the computer off and plugging the mic usb cord in and it seems as though that is when it recorded at the higher level. I am sure that the couple of time I did that it came louder - the sound.

So I guess I'll just keep doing that.

I'm also wondering if the usb port is just loose so that the usb plug simply is not in right.

I.e. my external harddrive cuts out of the cord plug to the usb cord is moved slightly.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Sep 12, 2015 at 12:41:28 pm

[Jeff David] "Also, it seems as though when I plugged the mic usb cord in, when my computer was on, that was when the sound was lower. "
This is what I'm referring to. When your computer boots, it looks for audio input and output devices. if your USB mic is not plugged in and the computer has an internal mic, that will get selected as the default input device. When you plug your USB mic in, it's too late. The computer has already selected the internal mic and it's not going to automatically change it to the USB mic. You must do this manually each time or else leave the USB mic connected when you boot.
[Jeff David] "I'm also wondering if the usb port is just loose so that the usb plug simply is not in right. I.e. my external harddrive cuts out of the cord plug to the usb cord is moved slightly."
That is definitely not good. If that's the only USB port you have, it may be time for a new computer.

~jr

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Sep 13, 2015 at 2:12:30 am

Yes, that undoubtedly is what was happening John.

I thought that once I set the mic to the usbat2020 under "preferences, audio devices" that it would always remain set at that.

I guess that was not too swift.

Thanks for the good advice again. I will always check, Preferences, audio devices, and make sure the right mic is selected.

I have 4 usb ports, 2 are 3.0 and 2 are 2.0 so that one port is not a problem. Also, it really is mostly ok even when using that port as it only cuts out if I move the computer around.

By the way, I meant to tell you, since I transferred all of my video clips to just one external drive - instead of having it on two external hard drives like I was doing before, I was able to successfully burn a blu ray w out MS crashing.

You may remember I was having no success buring blu rays as the program would crash. You told me that I was cutting the power in half by having 2 hard drives plugged in - well actually 3 as the blu ray burner has to be plugged in too.

So I went from 2 harddrives plus the blu ray burner to having just one harddrive plus the blu ray plugged in and everything went well when burning the blu ray.

I am guess the blu ray burner uses up a lot less of the resources? Anyways eliminating the extra hard drive really seems to have been the secret to success!

As always, thanks John!

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Sep 13, 2015 at 3:10:50 pm

[Jeff David] "I thought that once I set the mic to the usbat2020 under "preferences, audio devices" that it would always remain set at that."
Not if the device disappears! When the commuter boots it looks at what device is set in the audio preferences so that it can initialize it. If the device is missing, it probably looks for the next available device to initialize. This is most likely what is happening.

I'm glad using only one USB drive instead of two solved the problem for you. Most people don't realize that USB resources are shared across the internal hub so the more you plug in, the less resources (power, bandwidth, etc.) each one has to use.

Glad I could help.

~jr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]