FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why when I use Media Generators to add text, the entire text is black blotting out the underlying video?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff David
Why when I use Media Generators to add text, the entire text is black blotting out the underlying video?
on Sep 5, 2015 at 4:09:56 pm

I just started to add text using the media generators.

I dragged the "simple text" template, placed it on top of my video clip and then put in the text I wanted.

However, the text appears w a total black background that obscures the underlying video footage?

I saw in an only tutorial that you can change the opacity? IS that what I need to do?

However, in my SONY MOVIE STUDIO PLATINUM 13 the

EDIT PLACEMENT PROPERTIES EFFECTS

tabs do not appear and I know that is where you adjust the opacity.

But is that the correct thing to be doing? Adjusting the opacity?

IF so, how come I don't have the edit, placement, properties, effects tabs showing up in the media generators?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Lenovo quad core i7 16gb of ram, Windows 8.1 MS 13 64 bit

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
Re: Why when I use Media Generators to add text, the entire text is black blotting out the underlying video?
on Sep 5, 2015 at 6:01:26 pm

Not sure with Movie Studio but try using a text that has checkerboard around the sample text. Those are the ones that will transparent around the text.

Danny Hays
Samples of my Work can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ErnestDaniels/videos?view_as=public

Return to posts index

Jeff David
Re: Why when I use Media Generators to add text, the entire text is black blotting out the underlying video?
on Sep 5, 2015 at 8:41:17 pm

Yes I used the checkerboard but it's still not showing the video.

Oddly enough, yesterday, I added some text in the exact same way and they video showed.???

So I don't know why it's not showing through today???

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Sep 5, 2015 at 9:17:35 pm

Oddly enough, I found out today that you have to put the text on a timeline above the video clip if you want the video to show through.

I am somewhat baffled, however, as yesterday I had the text right in the same timeline as the video and I can swear the video showed in the back ground. I would rather do it that way. Baffling how it worked that way yesterday???

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Sep 6, 2015 at 2:51:06 am

I figured out why I wasn't seeing the edit, placement etc tabs. You see then when you are in the legacy text but not when in just regular text and title.

Haha another mystery solved!

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Sep 6, 2015 at 6:28:31 pm

[Jeff David] "I am somewhat baffled, however, as yesterday I had the text right in the same timeline as the video and I can swear the video showed in the back ground. I would rather do it that way. Baffling how it worked that way yesterday???"
It is unfortunate that this worked. The fact that Movie Studio allows you to place one event over another on the same track is, IMHO, a bug but Sony thinks it's a feature. I'm pointing this out because you said that you would rather work this way. Trust me, it's not the way you want to work.

You should never have more than one event in the same place on the timeline. Any event that you want to place over another event should be placed on a track above. The only time you should overlap events is to crate transition.

Movie Studio looks at the timeline from the top track down. The higher tracks are viewed above the lower tracks. Get use to working this way. It will save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Sep 10, 2015 at 6:02:17 pm

OK sure John. Np. I have been editing the way you suggested. Yes, I'm putting in the titles and text and have been doing it all on a separate track above the video track.

I may be mistaken about having the text show through when I placed the media generator directly on the video footage.

In retrospect, I prob am simply mistaken about that.

I am pleasantly surprised how easy it is to add the text. I thought it was going to be a difficult thing to learn and do but it's totally simple.

Thanks for the coaching John!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]