Using intermediate codec

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Hughes
Using intermediate codec
on Jul 28, 2015 at 12:43:17 pm

MSP Platinum 12 Suite
W7 64bit

I normally drop my HD camera footage direct onto the TimeLine for editing, then render as whatever I want.

This morning was reading that I should be using an I-Frame codec for editing, and I should convert files first to an intermediate codec .... Grass Valley HQx being recommended.

I can understand that if I am doing video processing first in Virtual Dub, I have to 'save as' something and using HQx there would make sense.

However should I be doing this intermediate conversion on all files ?

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
Re: Using intermediate codec
on Jul 31, 2015 at 10:43:38 pm

If your computer can edit the original video without having to drop the preview setting to draft in order to see enough frames per second, than there's no need to convert it before editing. When computers were slower, they had a hard time editing HD video, and people were making proxies, converting as you say to something their computer can handle easier, then replacing them with the originals right before rendering. Hope this helps, Danny

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 1, 2015 at 2:00:52 pm

As Danny said, you only need to convert if you are having trouble editing. Otherwise you don't need to convert to an intermediary format (unless you plan to do heavy effects and re-rendering in other applications).

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on Aug 1, 2015 at 3:03:34 pm

I have no problems with editing ... so I wont convert ... unless doing something else in Virtual Dub when I have to save as 'something'

I currently use DeShaker filter in Virtual Dub to provide stabilization to footage that needs it ........ the built in VideoFx Stablizer does not seem that good in MSP (at least is side by side comparison)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]