Sound 'tweaking' in Soundforge

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Hughes
Sound 'tweaking' in Soundforge
on May 21, 2015 at 11:46:15 am

Movie Studio Platinum Suite 12
Sound Forge Audio Studio 10

I follow advice here .. that after I have finished my NLE work I render audio track out and import that into Sound Forge.

Usually follow sequence of Normalise, then apply Sony Noise Reduction with active sample

As I do most of my other audio bits in Movie studio .. cuts, fades, level lower etc. ... are there any steps or tools I can add in Soundforge to get the almost equivalent of pressing an 'automatic' button, adjust level, lower peaks that are too high etc.

or any practical workflows.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Sound 'tweaking' in Soundforge
on May 24, 2015 at 12:04:26 am

[Rick Hughes] "are there any steps or tools I can add in Soundforge to get the almost equivalent of pressing an 'automatic' button, adjust level, lower peaks that are too high etc."
You should learn how to use a compressor. Compressors will raise low audio and lower loud audio but you need to be careful that you don't squeeze the dynamic range out of your audio. I'm not sure what compressors are available to the Studio version of Sound Forge but that's what you want to use to tame your audio.

I believe Sound Forge Studio 10 contains the Audio Enhancer plug-in by iZotopeĀ®. I would start with this.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on May 26, 2015 at 9:51:21 am

I have no idea in Sound Forge Studio has any compressors.

It does have 'IZotope Audio Enhancer as Plug-in but it is not activated .... Googling seems to suggest it is loaded but does not work unless you buy a standalone licenses for it.

Is it worth getting ?

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 26, 2015 at 11:08:17 am

[Rick Hughes] "I have no idea in Sound Forge Studio has any compressors."
At a minimum there should be ExpressFX Dynamics. Start with the "[Sys] 2:1 compression starting at -18 dB" setting. Reducing the Threshold will make the compression kick in at lower volumes. Adjusting the Ratio will determine how much compression is applied. Every compressor has the same settings so any tutorial on how to use an audio compressor can teach you what you need to know.
[Rick Hughes] "It does have 'IZotope Audio Enhancer as Plug-in but it is not activated"
Sony doesn't ship plug-ins that you need to pay for. If it's not activated it's because you didn't activate it yet. There should be nothing to buy. This is a special plug-in made just for Sony by iZotope for Sound Forge Studio. I'm pretty sure it was part of your purchase. You just need to activate it. Check your Sony account to see if there is an activation code included when you purchased Sound Forge Studio.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on May 26, 2015 at 12:18:43 pm

It does not show on my account, I have logged a ticket with Sony.

On Google some say it is included others have said included but you have to pay to activate ........ confusing.
Certainly there on my install but it asks for a Serial Number to activate it (and MSP serial number does not work)

If it turns out I have to but it, is it worth having ?

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on May 26, 2015 at 8:49:34 pm

OK .. seems that although SONY disks install the Audio Enhancement ... a serial is NOT provided with Movie Studio Platinum ... requires standalone purchase.

Is this worth investing in ?

Return to posts index

Jorma Nippala
on May 26, 2015 at 11:21:49 pm

The iZotope Audio Enhancer plug-in was well worth the 10$ or so at the time I bought it as an "Upgrade Audio Studio OEM to Audio Studio Full" as offered in SCS My Account/My Software Upgrade options.

As the OP found out, the S/N for it was not included with Movie Studio Platinum 12 Suite (in my full version at least either). At the time it was "available only in stand-alone purchases and upgrades to Sound Forge Audio Studio 10.0 software."

Movie Studio 13 Suite comes with that plug-in S/N.
You may need to check with SCS Customer Support if that v 12 Suite upgrade option is still available.

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on May 27, 2015 at 2:38:40 pm

I was able to get the same deal .. now have the Full Version, so that plug-in is now installed and activated.

Is there any documentation for using this ?
Care to pass on any tips.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on May 27, 2015 at 2:53:23 pm

[Rick Hughes] "Is there any documentation for using this ?"

Here's a PDF file that outlines the tools.

http://dspcdn.sonycreativesoftware.com/current/extras/sfas10_audioenhancer....

Return to posts index

Rick Hughes
on May 27, 2015 at 3:12:58 pm

Thanks for that - any tips on approach/sequence ?

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on May 27, 2015 at 3:29:42 pm

Sorry Rick but audio processing is not my strength. Hopefully someone else can jump in here and offer some suggestions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]